F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2002-2009 >> 2006 Forecast Lounge

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
direction?
      #56935 - Fri Sep 23 2005 12:54 PM

Quote:

And ya know I was trying so carefully to make sure I put "watch" and typed "warning". Sometimes the brain goes into overload. Oh well. Thanks so much for the input. It is sad when you see your neighbors in Bayou La Batre with children still living in tents and being told that they can have their power turned back on only if they sign a waiver that the City is not responsible for loss of life or property. This has been one CRAZY hurricane season. I'm also hoping the tarps on my roof are put back in the correct spot. We lost our home owners' insurance last year after Ivan. They gave us $2500 to fix $50,000 + in damages, then let us pay the premium for another several months and sent us a renewal notice saying that unless we had pictures of proof of all the damage fixed, they would not renew. There is no way we could do it. Now, we just have insurance in the Lord. This time, (Katrina) we lost more shingles and more insulation and facier board hanging. We also lost about 7 chestnut trees and two cherry trees in the back yard that broke the water line in three different places and only without power for a week. I consider myself blessed though, truly. I lost no family members and I have a very big family. 13 brothers and sisters and they are all okay. Peace back at ya.

Yeah, you know the other storm that is on the horizon, litigation! Man, lawyers are going to have a field day against the insurance industry down there in the years to come... What you are describing is a classic example of an industry taking advantage of quiescent times by reaping yearly premiums off property owners, only to find least excuse not to own up to all that wealther reaping when it comes time to shovel only a very small fraction of it back... What greed, what examples of uninity in a storm ravage culture that the entire U.S. (quite frankly) is being affected, deeply, by. It's just so enraging, and now we have Rita (which thank God I suspect will be a slim margin less impactive - we'll take what we can get), and you will bet the same practices will be felt everywhere. You know, what you describe of the children in the tent city and so forth....it almost evokes images of an apocalypse. Can you imagine the terror in a minds of babes who are curled up in the fragility of tent, while hearing that another hurricane is lurking? There's going to be an even greater price-tag than the economics of it all from this; intangibly, immeasurably deep psychological costs.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kimberley Clark
Weather Watcher

Reged: Wed
Loc: Mobile, Alabama
Re: direction? [Re: typhoon_tip]
      #56954 - Fri Sep 23 2005 01:09 PM

Yeah, and I work for attorneys. The people on Dauphin Island and Bayou La Batre are in my prayers and I ask that everyone remember them too. The pschological impact on the kids are amazing. Also, my parents are in their almost gutted home checking to see how high the water is getting. THIS FAR AWAY!! I'm sure alot of things on peoples minds lately are from shear fear. One of the attorneys I work for has a child who now boards up her windows on her doll house!!! I hope that this season is not indicative of how things are gonna be "normally". Would that not be horrible if this became "normal" for us? Thanks for the prayers.

--------------------
Kimberley Clark
Mobile, Alabama

Weather Watcher

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2116

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center