F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
BillD
User

Reged: Wed
Loc: Miami
Re: Update from the City...
      #5807 - Wed Oct 02 2002 08:12 PM

According to the 8PM advisory, 45 miles.

Bill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Michael Shade
Unregistered

Re: My Thoughts
      #5808 - Wed Oct 02 2002 08:16 PM

Could it be that lili could turn into a five????? only 10mph winds away. I also think that she is going to make land fall very close or right on top of New Orleans.

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged: Sat
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: North turn...
      #5809 - Wed Oct 02 2002 08:17 PM

I really HOPE....REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hope I am wrong....but look at the general motion of the cloud canopy, and the direct of the blowoff...

I don't think it would be a direct NO hit, but it's gonna be closer than the Official track.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: EC Florida
Re: Lili has peaked?
      #5810 - Wed Oct 02 2002 08:18 PM

Lili remains very well organized, but as the 8 PM advisory said, the pressure has risen very, very slightly to 940 mb. What does this mean? Nothing. Unless something drastic occur overnight (i.e. Opal of 95), the 150 MPh wind gusts observed by buoys south of the Louisiana Coast will be coming ashore tomorrow afternoon. If there are some who live in Louisiana and haven't finished preparing, there is no use of doing so now. Better just evacuate to a shelter immediately. TS force winds are already approaching the Louisiana coast...the trouble is just beginning.

Once again, for all in Lili's path, I'll say good luck, stay safe, and most importantly, hang on to your ass!

Kevin

anon(ShawnS)
Unregistered

#5811 - Wed Oct 02 2002 08:18 PM

Don't laugh, but in the last few frames of the satellite loop I think I see an ever so slight westerly "jog" to the NW component of the movement of Lily. Doesn't mean anything, but I thought I would throw it in since everyone else was talking about the more northerly jog.

ShawnS

KYLE
Unregistered

#5812 - Wed Oct 02 2002 08:20 PM

so what does everyone think. i am not as worried here in pensacola anymore. Probably just a 20mph breeze. Maybe a shower thats about it. Feel sorry for the folks in Louisiana cause us folks on the Panhandle could be in this same situation an i know i wouldnt wanna be.

rickinmobile
Unregistered

Re: Lili has peaked?
      #5813 - Wed Oct 02 2002 08:21 PM

Let's hope it has peaked....perhaps the eyewall will break down again...and rebuild stronger....if it tightens up...we got a cat 5.....this is not far from it....LOOK OUT>>>>>>>
this thing is gonna be bad.

cappycat
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sun
Loc: Raceland, LA
      #5814 - Wed Oct 02 2002 08:21 PM

thank you. if it comes in at Morgan City we are in for some rough weather, but not inside of the 45 mi area. New Iberia would be even better!!! I still liked the Lake Charles track best though. sigh.

bobby
Unregistered

Re: Upper Texas. Louisiana Prepare Today
      #5815 - Wed Oct 02 2002 08:23 PM

jason you say the storm could be going more east plue weather channel just said storm could be going more east plus someone said models are showing right turn what do you see and what does this mean thanks

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Metairie, LA
Thanks a lot Big JK...
      #5816 - Wed Oct 02 2002 08:23 PM

and everyone else. Yeah, we're watching intently. I think TPC has got to nudge the track a bit to the right at the 10:00 advisory. Got the Benz (wife's - NOT MINE, I drive a 94 Honda which she gave me to replace my '88 Accord) gased up just in case, but we're planning on staying put for now. Surprisingly, everyone in the neighborhood who blew town for Georges is also hunkering down. So that would complicate any radical turns as there would literally be NO WAY to get even 1/3 of the people outta here. This isn't worst case scenario (Cat-5 moving up from SSE/SE just to the south of the city) that kills 100,000+ people, but you still have to respect it. I've got the kids life vests in just in case. It doesn't flood in my neighborhood, but obviously a levee breach ANYWHERE changes everything. So we're all set. I'm looking forward to tracking this with all you guys as long as I have power. I'm about 85% sure we'll lose power at some point, just don't know for how long. So I'll be back in as is possible.

Looks like this was Louisiana's year. Glad most of the storms (at least up unto now) have been wimpy because if this was our 4th or 5th direct hit, it would probably be the death knell!

L8R,

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Mon
      #5817 - Wed Oct 02 2002 08:25 PM

Posted two days ago this thing would NOT hit Texas... I think I got that one in the bag... also stated that Lili would be within 100 miles of New Orleans to the west... that might come to fruition as well (maybe)... have notice the big swing to the NNW...

I have not done any preps at my house... NONE... why? because I have been relying solely on what I though was a confident NHC forecast track... heck we don't even have a hurricane watch on the MS coast... I sure would hate to have to nail up plywood in gale force winds... shame on me... probably goning to be OK over here as long as we don't get any last minute surprises.. good thing Lili is a small compact storm...

On the sat pixs you can see the elongation of the system from north and south, usually an indication of where a system might eventually go.. it was NW to SE most of this afternoon, but now it a descernible N and S....

If A98E comes to fruition then the Big Easy might be the really Big Uneasy tonight and tomorrow...

all eyes will stay focus on the track for the next 6 -8 hours or so... will be critical

Rick
Weather Watcher

Loc: Wisconsin
      #5818 - Wed Oct 02 2002 08:26 PM

I think you're right. Much too close to N.O. for comfort.

OK...here we go with the drama of "live TV news"!
I feel sorry for the poor reporters who got the short straw and have to go out in the weather to "get the story". (OK, that was great...now hold on to that stop sign and try to look......ummm....horizontal!)
I'll never forget ol' Norris Dejon from a West Palm station. They sent him out to cover some storm (I forget which) and to dramatize how "windy" it was, he took off his windbreaker and let go of it expecting it to go down the block. It fell straight down on his shoes!
Then you have the other extreme where the reporter can't even stay in the shot! That jobs gotta zuck!
The WC guy Joe almost got run over earlier doing an interview in the street!

rickinmobile
Unregistered

#5819 - Wed Oct 02 2002 08:33 PM

I have a feeling this storm wil cause the entire way they report these things to change. Problem is that there is still NO WAY to discern with any accuracy where they will go. ...and no one wants to evacuate the entire northern gulf coast.
but the delay in telling the public is wierd to me. People I am talking to are still thinking texas....WE ALL know what is happening...but the transfer of information is far too slow to help. The people need to transfer all of this info to a main site that the entire coast watches.....it could be a good thing...

everyone watches it....and changes occur immediately...and interviews...and discussions..

sooner or later..the big one comes....

nawlins.....takes it on the chin....

this is a bad thing ya'll. I mentioned a day ago New Orleans was a possibility...even east of that...and recieved flack and jokes...WHY?......if it is a possiblity....WHY ridicule it?..

Small hurricane with a buzz-saw solar system type look...

landfall at 140 MPH winds...maybe more...I HOPE IT DON"T GO east...sure hope for new orleans sake....

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Internet Feeds?
      #5820 - Wed Oct 02 2002 08:36 PM

Anyone know of a good radio/TV station to listen to a live feed during the storm?

joepub1
Storm Tracker

Loc: Jacksonville,Fla
      #5821 - Wed Oct 02 2002 08:48 PM

Did we not agree TWO DAYS AGO that they were taking a BIG RISK not putting New Orleans under a hurricane watch?

I've got her at 27N, 90.6W. Come on baby, keep inching west for awile longer..........

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

estimated fix at 0015Z
      #5822 - Wed Oct 02 2002 08:52 PM

Looking at a couple different sat IR pixs (0015 Z) I estimate the center of Lili at approximately 26.95N and 90.5W..... this is consistent with a NNW motion (up .35 north over .20 west)... again could be a wobble, but seems to be wobbling a lot to the NNW...

Worse case scenario tonight would be for the change to the north track prior to 91.0 W... for N'awlens sake... not saying that is going to happen but sure would present itself as being very undesirable for Steve and the rest of the Crescent City folks...

rickinmobile
Unregistered

cat 5
      #5823 - Wed Oct 02 2002 08:54 PM

storm is back to perfectly round...9 mile wide eye...

this will be a 5

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
      #5824 - Wed Oct 02 2002 08:55 PM

Cappy,

My first question for you is...are you safe in Raceland? Looking at a map you sure are close to the coastal area. Tell us about your area...are you elevated above flood level? Boarded up?

Bruce
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Palm Bay, Florida
Re: estimated fix at 0015Z
      #5825 - Wed Oct 02 2002 08:55 PM

Can still see a NNW movement on LRL.

tom5r
Weather Watcher

Loc: Islamorada, Florida
Re: estimated fix at 0015Z
      #5826 - Wed Oct 02 2002 09:02 PM

looking at the NO radar it's drfinetly moving N/NW heading towards the lake charles area

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 83 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 89797

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center