F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
Domino
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Loc: Makati City, Philippines
Taking a deep breath
      #5869 - Wed Oct 02 2002 10:47 PM

I agree it does look like its rebuilding its eyewall. Looks like the bouy's are having a very bad day. Either they aren't reporting anymore or they are no more. I just truely hope politics aren't in any forcast and everyones been told the truth. You can truely sense the magnitude of this event on this bored as I've never seen everyone so tense with one another. I've noticed many people on this board are football fans, well tomorrow is the superbowl for hurricanes. Lets try not to fight in the stands. Lets just all take a deep breath, sip on your beer and look at the marvel nature has brought us as all the arguing in the world isn't going to change what it is going to do.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Londovir
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: NNW
      #5870 - Wed Oct 02 2002 10:47 PM

Hrm....sounds familiar to what I said earlier....I wonder if they're using PSP also....

Although, wanna know the irony? I just pulled in the latest plot (from 1020ET), and now the 850ET->1020ET plot is running around 325.305 degrees, so it seems the storm is wobbling by my figures a little now towards NNWW, so to speak...

I'm keeping my eyes on it, though....

Jay

--------------------
Londovir

bsnyder
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sun
Re:
      #5871 - Wed Oct 02 2002 10:50 PM

What time is projected landfall?

rickinmobile
Unregistered

will move north soon
      #5872 - Wed Oct 02 2002 10:51 PM

New Orleans has SEVERE traffic problems now...EASTbound traffic jammed at the moment...reports from people...I am listening to Barometer Bob at the moment...
lots of people will be miserable in their cars tonight....

dumb.....why don't they tell people to STAY in their houses?...
who would want to sit in a car with 145 mph winds?...not me

rickinmobile
Unregistered

no hurricane warning in New Orleans
      #5873 - Wed Oct 02 2002 10:55 PM

if it kicks to the right.....it's over....

sure hope it don't..but guess what?....OPAL kicked right at the last moment...and hit Pensacola....75 miles to the right of where they thought 6 hours before landfall....fortunately...Opal went from a 5 to a 3...

hope this one wimps out on us...sure hope so....I have had enough excitement for the evening...time for Lili to go to sleep

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
LANDFALL
      #5874 - Wed Oct 02 2002 10:55 PM

Storm is now moving NNW with a change to N expected overnight. If this turn to the N occurs soon, NO may see the eastern eyewall get very, very close. Winds still 145 mph with gusts to 180!!!! Should arrive on the coast about 8 am CDT.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

joepub1
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Jacksonville,Fla
Re:
      #5875 - Wed Oct 02 2002 10:56 PM

>>What time is projected landfall?<<
8 to 10 am central time

BabyCat
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: New Orleans, La.
Re: landovir
      #5876 - Wed Oct 02 2002 10:58 PM

Cudos!

Just got off the phone with a friend in New Orleans (lived there 20 years, been gone 2).
She is staying put.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Re: NNW
      #5877 - Wed Oct 02 2002 10:59 PM

I agree with the wobble between NNW and NW... this is evident in the long range radar loop out of new orleans... looks to be on track for C LA and Vermillion Bay area...

Just found out Stennis Space Center is closed tomorrow... off again just like last week... I doubt if we get as much weather out of Lili over here in Biloxi as we did with Izzy... city not taking any chances and evacuating low lying areas tonight... gonna get me a cold one, get the lawn chair, sit out in the front yard and see how high the surge is tomorrow...

btw, I did get me some pretty nice 2 X 8 X 10 treated pier planks from the debris that washed up in front of my house last Thursday.... too bad cause all the piers are gone now... so nothing left to wash up...

bsnyder
Verified CFHC User

Re: landovir
      #5878 - Wed Oct 02 2002 11:00 PM

Thanks for the info on the projected time of landfall.

Geez, I sure hope they haven't made a huge error in judgement about New Orleans. Way to close for comfort IMO. And no way would I stay if I lived there.

Here in FL, I'm praying for everyone in the path of Lili!

Kimmie at home
Unregistered

Re: LANDFALL
      #5879 - Wed Oct 02 2002 11:01 PM

Ok, now I am getting worried here in Baton Rouge! This time it is too close for comfort. We are now under flood watches, tornado watches and a hurricane warning. Things are strangely quiet here in town. The air is hanging heavy. Can hear the sound of my neighbor trying to get his generator to work. Long lines for gas. Baton Rouge needs to hunker down. Hey Carl, are you ready?

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Wed
Loc: Metairie, LA
Hey clyde..
      #5881 - Wed Oct 02 2002 11:02 PM

Avery Island is the home of McIlhenny Co., makers of Tabasco Sauce. They have gardens there. I've been told it's one of the most beautiful place in Louisiana.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Kimster
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Dunedin, FL
Re: get a grip hankfrank
      #5882 - Wed Oct 02 2002 11:05 PM

Hey Rick,

I heard on the news earlier this evening that at this point it is too late to evacuate 1.2 million people out of the New Orleans area. Kimster

rickinmobile
Unregistered

Kimster
      #5883 - Wed Oct 02 2002 11:08 PM

looks like Metro New Orleans will experience 60 mph winds...that is the latest...stil a cat 4...HOWEVER...

would if it kicks right?

hmmmmmm

hope not....they are afraid ...hey...it has shifted east a little...could it shift more east...????

yep

clyde w.
Storm Tracker

Loc: Orlando, FL
Avery Island
      #5885 - Wed Oct 02 2002 11:24 PM

Steve--it's amazing that we can pick a place, any place, on a map to call landfall of a storm and think of it in such 'non-human' sentiment...and then you find out that there is so much to know about that tiny community. It really brings to a point the human impact that these things cause. I sincerely hope all is well in tabasco land come tomorrow afternoon.

Generations past in my family lived in Clewiston, FL in 1928, where close to 2,000 died from a hurricance strike (my family survived). If someone where to call that city for a landfall I'd be the one posting that more than 2/3d's of the nations sugar is purified there...

Be safe tomorrow.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Re: Kimster
      #5886 - Wed Oct 02 2002 11:24 PM

Forecast track from NHC tonight has 91.5W as the farthest west that Lili SHOULD track.. that's about 90 miles west of New Orleans..... C LA and parts of SE LA should get hammered.... that's very consistent with A98E model runs ... the only model that had the system east of 92 and was doing it for several days I might add! (still could change I might add)

joepub, A98E is no longer on the axis of evil, and GFDL is!!!

still awfully close to NO for a Cat 4 storm.... somebody would have told me that NO would be 90 miles from a Cat 4 storm without at least a Hurricane Watch I would not have believed it.....

Well for all the whiners that said we wouldn't have a very exciting 2002 hurricane season, the last three weeks have been unbelievable....

uhhhh what was that forecast again Dr Gray?

troy2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: cocoa beach
Re: get a grip hankfrank
      #5888 - Wed Oct 02 2002 11:26 PM

I was reading earlier(CNN.com) that is the only place that company makes thier tobasco sauce. Glad I bought a new bottle yesterday!

Seriously even if this odesnt go right over any certain town in LA there is bound to be the threat of tornadoes etc in the area of circulation. Be safe everyone. Good Luck Steve. Sending positive vibes your way.

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged: Sat
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
From the 10pm discussion...
      #5889 - Wed Oct 02 2002 11:30 PM

Man, Oh Man...

THE STRONGEST WINDS
OBSERVED WERE 196 KT AT 848 MB AND 183 KT AT 933 MB FROM
DROPSONDES...

225 mph at approx 1500 ft, and 211 mph at approx (really guessing here) 200 ft ASL...

If that transports down to the surface in gusts....geeze...

THAT is impressive.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

BabyCat
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: New Orleans, La.
Louisiana
      #5891 - Wed Oct 02 2002 11:36 PM

ALL of south Louisiana is beautiful..well, except maybe the river between Baton Rouge and New Orleans and that d@#* bridge in Lake Charles. I don't like that bridge.

clyde w.
Storm Tracker

Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: From the 10pm discussion...
      #5892 - Wed Oct 02 2002 11:40 PM

That 10 p.m. discussion was fantastic, one of the best I've ever read. I was especially interested in the notes regarding winds "mixing down" to the surface and high-rise structures experiencing higher winds. Check out this article:

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/hurricane/2002/2002-09-29-isidore-landfall.htm

For those who don'twant to read, it states that highest winds with Isidore were actually 156mph at landfall in the Yucatan, caused by the mixing of winds down to the surface...and most interestingly, that the highest winds were actually blowing offshore. Very interesting reading.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 89771

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center