F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Other Weather Events

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
age234
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Winter Park
Weird vortex thing
      #57414 - Tue Sep 27 2005 08:05 PM

Has anyone ever seen anything like this vortex? (30MB Windows Media Video)

Is there an explaination?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
Re: Weird vortex thing [Re: age234]
      #57424 - Tue Sep 27 2005 10:57 PM

I don't even need to see the video to probably be able to debunk whatever the guy is trying to prove. It comes from weatherwars.info, the website of the ex-TV meteorologist in Idaho who claims that Katrina was instigated by an electromagnetic device acquired by the Japanese Mafia from the Russians.

I'm not joking. See the story here: http://www.journalnet.com/articles/2005/09/23/news/local/news05.txt

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

seeker77
Unregistered

Re: Weird vortex thing [Re: age234]
      #57507 - Fri Sep 30 2005 11:25 AM

This is in response to the video of the weird vortex thing. Sorry to hear someone was
making fun of the fact that you would question this. My question is the same--what
is it? Pretending it doesn't exist doesn't explain it away. If someone can explain this
vortex, I would like to hear it.

ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Loc:
Re: Weird vortex thing [Re: seeker77]
      #57546 - Sat Oct 01 2005 11:05 AM

I'm not making fun of it, just stating the truth. I never said it doesn't exist, either. It occurs because it's part of the weather...

My problem lies with the website and what the video is ultimately getting at, not anyone's quest for knowledge. If you can explain it by saying that the Japanese mafia created it using a 1970s-era Soviet electromagnetic device, I'd love to see the proof. That's the premise behind that website.

Lysis
User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Hong Kong
ha ha ha [Re: Clark]
      #57556 - Sat Oct 01 2005 01:37 PM

Neat looking funnel cloud thing. The rainbow colors indicate steep lapse rates (??).

(easy does it folks)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sat Nov 19 2005 10:20 AM)

UKCloudgazer
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Wallasey
Re: Weird vortex thing [Re: Clark]
      #64270 - Thu Dec 15 2005 07:06 AM

Seems to me that humans like to make sense of patterns from various random shapes - we just can't help it. Probably a defence system from when we had to spot tigers hidden in bushes. The most powerful demonstration of this is in 'A beautiful Mind'. Not saying this weather forecaster has mental health problems, but that once you start seeing patterns you can begin to link all sorts of things. My biggest problem with the conspiracy theory stuff is that if people have found a way to harness energy without any use of additional energy then
a/ what happened to entropy?
b/ why didn't anyone harness this energy for use - USSR could have done with it (next conspiracy theory - Exxon etc kept technology secret)
c/ the Japanese mafia???????????????

Much more interesting to try to understand the science of how these things really happen and enjoy the amazing effects they make, eg cloud formations. The weather is a much larger thing than humans can control, or even completely understand.

PS What was the weather like after Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Can't find any information. I would imagine that it would have had an effect.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9008

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center