F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Wilma Becomes Season's 12th Hurricane
      #58630 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:18 AM

7:55 PM Tuesday Update
Wilma's small core is spinning up rapidly, as we've seen with several storms this year. The pressure has fallen about 30mb from this morning--but 16mb in the last few hours. Currently at 954 and still plunging.. the winds should match it near category 3 status before daybreak. Strong possibility that Wilma will reach category 4 status tomorrow. Good news is that Wilma will be likely start encountering eyewall replacement cycles, and be vulnerable to shear and subsidence based on the storm profile. -HF

12:30PM Tuesday Update
Wilma is now the season's 12th hurricane, tying the record for most in a season with 1969.

Original Update
Wilma is now a Strong Tropical storm, nearly forming into the season's 12th hurricane. It will likely do so this morning.

A tropical storm warning is up for Honduras and the Cayman islands, and Hurricane watch is up in the Caymans as well.

Wilma has moved south and west over the day yesterday, and has now stopped moving entirely. Although I dislike using models on storms that are not moving mainly because of what occured in this area with Hurricane Mitch in 1998 , most suggest the storm to move north and west, and eventually make a sharp hook back to the east.

The far end now places Florida in the cone of uncertainty, and the current forecast track has landfall in southwest Florida as a Category 1 or 2 hurricane.

There is what I would call very little confidence in the current late track, and will likely change. Folks in the cone of uncertainty will need to watch this. Until Wilma makes a definitive move somewhere it's impossible to speculate on exactly where the storm may make landfall.

Wilma should increase into a major hurricane, it is forecast to do so, but at this time it looks like when the system is forecast to arrive in the gulf, shear conditions will pick up a great deal. This should weaken Wilma back to below major hurricane status. However this is still a hurricane and can cause big problems for those in the path.

It seems that the most prudent thing to do is Watch wimla for a definitive movement and prepare appropriately if needed.

Image courtesy SkeetobiteWeather.com Click here for full size image
Comments/Feedback on the maps look here.

Event Related Links
Stormcarib reports from the islands

Florida Keys Long Range Radar Loop
Tampa, FL Long Range Radar Loop
Miami, FL Long Range Radar
Melbourne, FL Long Range Radar

Emergency Management/County info
Various Florida County Emergency Management Websites
Monroe County Emergency Management (Florida Keys)
State of Florida Division of Emergency Management/floridadisaster.org

Forecast Discussions for (Show All Locations):
Tampa,Miami, Key West, Melbourne

"Spaghetti" style model plots from Colorado State / Jonathan Vigh

Wilma

Animated model plot of Wilma
Floater Satellite with storm track overlays
Weather Underground Model Plots

Edited by HanKFranK (Tue Oct 18 2005 11:57 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Wilma Nears Hurricane Strength [Re: MikeC]
      #58635 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:36 AM

(copied from last thread)

I'm sorry everyone. This is entirely my fault. You see, this past weekend, I decided to try out for a local soccer team after not having played for the past several years. We have a game lined up for this weekend.

Yup, all my fault here. I should just wash my car to seal the deal. Then again, I could board up today and cause the storm to inexplicably steer away...

decisions, decisions...

Seems the usual round of "should I" has already started in earnest, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's better to ponder now than to ignore this storm until it's closer. For now, nobody in the peninsula is necessarily safe. As the tracks get better input and the guidance is more decisive, then we'll be able to make recommendations.

As for the "stay for Cat 3 and under", that really ought to have been qualified a little better:

If you are not in a flood prone area AND you are not in a mobile home AND you are not in an early pre-fab (newer pre-fab buildings are actually very strong), AND you are more than 10-15 feet above sea level AND you are not on the coast, THEN you should be able to ride this out at Cat 3 or lower. Don't rely on neighbors who have ridden storms out before to make your decision - use storm surge maps, SLOSH models, and every other piece of data you can find. Make an informed decision and please stock up your hurricane supplies if they are diminished.

If you're going to evacuate, make your reservations early (and confirm them), and try to not run screaming from the building (as it tends to scare small children ).

I think for the sake of levity, someone should break out Dave Barry's Hurricane preparedness article.

Dave Barry's 2001 Hurricane Preparedness Guide

If you get a registration request, a site like BugMeNot will save you some time.

Birdie

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park, FL
Re: Wilma Nears Hurricane Strength [Re: tpratch]
      #58638 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:55 AM

Quote:

(copied from last thread)

I'm sorry everyone. This is entirely my fault. You see, this past weekend, I decided to try out for a local soccer team after not having played for the past several years. We have a game lined up for this weekend.

Yup, all my fault here. I should just wash my car to seal the deal. Then again, I could board up today and cause the storm to inexplicably steer away...

decisions, decisions...

I'm afraid that I need to take part of the blame too! This weekend I put the kids' trampoline back up. Hubby even pointed out to me that do so was nothing more than an invitation.

~Laura

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Wilma Nears Hurricane Strength [Re: Birdie]
      #58639 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:06 PM

Quote:

I'm afraid that I need to take part of the blame too! This weekend I put the kids' trampoline back up. Hubby even pointed out to me that do so was nothing more than an invitation.
~Laura

What were y'all THINKING?!?!? You plan outdoor activities in Florida for DECEMBER, when hurricane season is (officially) past!

Good news I suppose - the 8am intermediate advisory is out. Pressure is estimated to be down to 980, but winds are only 70, meaning we'll have to wait until a recon is in there probably before we have the latest hurricane of the 2005 season. I don't remember ever seeing a pressure that low on a tropical storm, but this season has been weird, and the pressures in NW Caribbean are quite low.

The northwest turn has been sooner than forecast, I think. What does this mean? Possibly nothing. CNN was spouting off about "the westerlies" this morning, saying that when a hurricane gets into the northern GOM, it turns east because of the westerlies. Tell the people of New Orleans about "the westerlies". In this case, the computer models are forecasting an east turn by Wilma, but it's because of a trough. Troughs are common this time of year, certainly, but to say that storms generally turn east in the GOM is at best stretching the truth, and closer to an outright lie, if you leave off the climatology behind it (troughs), which he did.

Of course, my head hurts so that might effect my judgement this morning.
:?:

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

orlandocanewatcher
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: E Central Florida
      #58640 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:19 PM

tprach - my three kids also play soccer and all have games throughout the day on Saturday. My husband is already driving me crazy as he runs the league and we have about 200 kids. Do I line the fields on Thursday?? Do I e-mail everyone and just cancel??? I told him to just sit tight for now....we'll definitely know more by then....back to BJ's for more water and supplies....the kids keep eating all the snacks! LOL

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Wilma Nears Hurricane Strength [Re: orlandocanewatcher]
      #58642 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:23 PM

Looking at visible sat. it sure seems to me that Wilma is further north and west than the points by NHC.

Input......?

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

R2RICKSTER

Reged:
Loc: Delray Beach, Fla
Re: Wilma Nears Hurricane Strength [Re: orlandocanewatcher]
      #58643 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:24 PM

Not liking the NHC inland coordinates for Sunday. Puts Wilma on top of my house in Delray

--------------------
Andrew was enough for me!

Myles
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: SW FL
Re: Wilma Nears Hurricane Strength [Re: Hugh]
      #58644 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:24 PM

Quote:

The northwest turn has been sooner than forecast, I think. What does this mean? Possibly nothing. CNN was spouting off about "the westerlies" this morning, saying that when a hurricane gets into the northern GOM, it turns east because of the westerlies. Tell the people of New Orleans about "the westerlies". In this case, the computer models are forecasting an east turn by Wilma, but it's because of a trough. Troughs are common this time of year, certainly, but to say that storms generally turn east in the GOM is at best stretching the truth, and closer to an outright lie, if you leave off the climatology behind it (troughs), which he did.

Of course, my head hurts so that might effect my judgement this morning.
:?:

Gotta love the media. They do it all the time, telling half-truths and whole lies. The westerlies are obviously not in the gulf all the time like you pointed out with Katrina.

However, the shift to the north and east you mentioned may just be a wobble of the center as is continues to come together. Also, since convection is continously firing up and dying off, that can give a false sense of movement. We need a longer term view to really say for sure, but if it is going to turn NE early it will be a good thing for us in Florida!

charlottefl
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Wilma Nears Hurricane Strength [Re: Myles]
      #58645 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:35 PM

The pressure is down to 980, winds are at 70mph. The thing is though the wind field has expanded from 70 miles to 125 miles out with tropical storm force winds. It looks like that is where Wilma is focusing her energy right now. Eventually the winds will catch up though. I would expect to see a Hurricane at 11AM.

Hurricane Charley '04(Port Charlotte, FL)

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Wilma Nears Hurricane Strength [Re: Myles]
      #58646 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:37 PM

Well, almost all GOM storms take a turn to the east just prior to landfall, so there's another "out" for a sweeping generalization like the media is known for.

Being further north and west would usually translate to a slower turn than depicted and a potential landfall further north (and further north on the crossing as well). Of course, that's an over-simplification, but something to sit on.

The NHC will probably take a few liberties with moving the 4th and 5th day points, but they traditionally try very hard to maintain consistency on their track. Don't expect an major change to the track unless something big happens to the models.

Also, I should have expounded upon my claiming the storm. I played soccer from the time I was 6 until I was 20 - many of those years were spent on multiple teams with simultaneous schedules (I drove my mom mad when I had 3 team's schedules that I needed supporting). My last competitive game was played about 12 years ago. Since that time, I've played many pickup/friendly games, but not with any degree of consistency. About 6 months ago I played every Friday night and after 2 months or so I moved. I had mentioned to a guy I played with that I was in the market to play again. He tried to get someone in touch with me, but that faded away until last week. I got a call from a local 1st Division men's team that was in need of my position. So my game last weekend was actually my first competitive game in a decade. It took a little to get into my groove, but I didn't do badly at all. This upcoming weekend is the last chance for me to "earn" my spot on the team before the season begins the following week. So, I figure there's 12 years of planning all hinging on my playing and playing well in less than a week - right about the time when good ol' Wilma should be soaking our already innundated fields.

Yeah - I'm going to keep taking the blame on this one because it feels right Of course, I'm not scared of playing in a little (or lot) of rain, so bring it on!*

*so long as that "lot" of rain isn't heralded by 100+mph winds

wiley
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Wilma Nears Hurricane Strength [Re: Hugh]
      #58647 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:39 PM

Or maybe the media just read the morning NHC discussion:

THIS SHOULD RESULT IN A SLOW WEST TO NORTHWEST MOTION OF Wilma DURING THE NEXT 2 TO 3
DAYS...TOWARD THE EXTREME NORTHWESTERN CARIBBEAN SEA. THEREAFTER...
WILMA WILL BE APPROACHING THE WESTERLIES AND RECURVATURE WITH AN
INCREASE IN FORWARD SPEED IS FORECAST.

Wingman51
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
      #58648 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:50 PM

Maybe you should play in the wind - - allow you to Bend it better - - seriously - what is the current forcast for the arrival and intensity of the "Front" that will ultimately create the East turn?? :?:

ROB H
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Clearwater, FL.
Re: Wilma Nears Hurricane Strength [Re: wiley]
      #58649 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:51 PM

0600 GFDL and GFS models have shifted further north, GFDL now has landfall just south of Tampa Bay, and
GFS is a little south of GFDL. I am curious to see if this earlier than expected NW drift is a wobble or a trend and how this will effect the future track.

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Wilma Nears Hurricane Strength [Re: ROB H]
      #58650 - Tue Oct 18 2005 01:10 PM

Ok, IF this storm landfalls in my area, its my fault, I have put a new roof on, and a new aircondition unit in. Also, I live in an area where no one is prepared and are watching the gas prices fall from $3.06 per gallon down to $2.77 as of last night. There is no accounting for the amount of drawing force the drop of prices has on a potential disaster. Playing sports teases the storm, improving economic conditions enrages the storm.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

sara33
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: St. Pete,
      #58651 - Tue Oct 18 2005 01:15 PM

Now that NCH has "somewhat"called for S. Fla landfall, could the track vary so much as to shift it closer to Tampa Bay? The landfall area usually does not change that dramatically does it, or are we still in the extreme early stage where anything can happen? I guess I am starting to feel a little safer now with the current track..too soon to feel that way?
Thanks,
Christine
St. Petersburg, FL

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Wilma Nears Hurricane Strength [Re: sara33]
      #58652 - Tue Oct 18 2005 01:17 PM

IMO yes it way too early to feel safe. You are very close to the thin line and still way within the "cone". You have to still watch this very closely.
I personally think the track will change today at 5 pm if not at 11 am. I am thinking it will move more northerly, so keep an eye (or two) on it.

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

bobbutts
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: New Hampshire
      #58653 - Tue Oct 18 2005 01:17 PM

One thing that catches my eye is between 22/12z and 23/00z (landfall time) the GFDL has winds go from 94kt to 109kt @ 950mb
Was going on the assumption of some weakening just before landfall.

Domino
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Makati City, Philippines
Re: Wilma Nears Hurricane Strength [Re: MikeC]
      #58654 - Tue Oct 18 2005 01:20 PM

This should be interesting to watch. I am flying to Miami on Saturday for a cruise leaving on Sunday. Hopefully the cone of uncertainly will prove true and miss us...damn this is going to be close!

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Wilma Nears Hurricane Strength [Re: bobbutts]
      #58655 - Tue Oct 18 2005 01:23 PM

Well according to the NHC guidelines we have hurricane Wilma now..not surprising based on her appearance this am...was actually thinking it was great not to have to put the plywood up this year...been a strange season.

Hootowl
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: New Port Richey, Fl
Re: Wilma Nears Hurricane Strength [Re: Wingman51]
      #58656 - Tue Oct 18 2005 01:25 PM

I'm wondering the same thing about the intesity of the front/trough. I had heard earlier that it wouldn't have that big of a "push".

Check out this vis pic http://weather.msfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/post-goes
She's looking more like a hurricane - maybe at 11?

Do we know if recon is on the way? It sure would be nice to get more info.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 79070

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center