F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Wingman51
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Joe B's Thoughts on Wilma [Re: Colleen A.]
      #58678 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:14 PM

And here I thought we in Osceola and Polk were gonna have a great season - - Oh well - - Until GFDL drops south, I won't feel real comfortable. Probably next Monday.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
KiminCanada
Verified CFHC User

Re: Flying into Orlando [Re: Colleen A.]
      #58679 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:18 PM

Thansk for the info.

dave foster
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sun
Loc: UK
Re: Joe B's Thoughts on Wilma [Re: Wingman51]
      #58680 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:19 PM

I believe the NHC's current speed for Hurricane Wilma is on the conservative side at 7mph. I would put it at between 8mph and 12mph - 8mph if on the edge of their position of uncertainty ( 20 miles ) at both the current and last position, otherwise 12mph.

--------------------
Dave Foster
http://www.ascn92.dsl.pipex.com

funky
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sat
In 34202 and getting nervous.... [Re: MikeC]
      #58681 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:23 PM

i'm down here in sarasota/bradenton, fl and Wilma is making me very nervous. i do live about 15 miles inland, 45 ft above sea level, with brand new construction, so i feel a bit ok about staying. only thing is flying debris -- our neighborhood had dumpsters full of debris everywhere.

going to get supplies tonight

--------------------
WE WILL FIX YOU N.O. --- http://media.putfile.com/KATRINA25

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Re: NHC Track [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #58682 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:25 PM

I agree with you 100%. NHC should do away with the line or do the track in a way that people won't just concentrate on the black
line. I've heard people say here they didn't do a good job predicting Rita's path but they did an excellent job. You can't just concen-
trate on that black line and they can't be real accurate about eventual landfall more than one or two days out. Meteorologists really
need to emphasize the cone more.

emackl
Storm Tracker

Loc: Indianapolis
Re: Joe B's Thoughts on Wilma [Re: dave foster]
      #58683 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:25 PM

That's an awfully drastic change of direction Wilma has to take at the tip of Cuba. This is going to be a very long week. I'm afraid we won't know much until she does start the NE turn.

Jackie

sara33
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Loc: St. Pete,
Re: Joe B's Thoughts on Wilma [Re: dave foster]
      #58684 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:26 PM

I have a question??
Please correct me if I am wrong. I thought that they thought the storm would move VERY slow to the West for a couple of days. Now that she seems to be picking up speed and foward movement, will that affect the track more? I thought that the more time that it took to get into the GOM it would be a more South FL track and the faster that it got into the GOM that it would be more a W. Central storm..or maybe the other way around..Any comments?
Thanks,
Christine
St. Petersburg, FL

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Joe B's Thoughts on Wilma [Re: sara33]
      #58685 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:33 PM

I believe that everything that was said about speed and intensity was speculation when it was said. The real facts have to do with current conditions in the Caribbean are subject to change at the drop of a hat. So, the best rule of thumb is to keep watching at least one up date per day. The CFHC site is full of meterologists and very knowlegeable undergraduates who can make very educated guesses without having all the data available. Prepare for the worst, expect the worst, and then relax and follow the news. This site is very good for actual updates on the main page. If you do not take the postings with a grain of salt, you will be making yourself crazy.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl
      #58687 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:39 PM

My guess is that the newer models which will reflect the NW motion will answer that question.

There is a weakness in the ridging now over the South Gulf coast as the movement of one part to the SW is occurring and the part over the SE is lifting out to the east. That can explain why the storm started moving as she has. But remember there is an expected reinforcement of the ridge along the Gulf coast followed by the sharp trough a couple of days later that is supposed to sweep all this out to the NE.
The reinforcing ridge is expected to keep the storm's northward progress slower .
The models will be sampling all this and the run after this one will be more definitive in my opinion.

--------------------
doug

Edited by doug (Tue Oct 18 2005 12:46 PM)

CoalCracker
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Fri
Loc: Cape Coral, FL
Re: In 34202 and getting nervous.... [Re: funky]
      #58688 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:40 PM

You certainly don't need to worry about storm surge at 45 feet, and, if your construction is up to Miami-Dade standards, your roof's tied down and your garage door is secure for a good blow. Looks like the only weakness you have is your windows/doors unless your have hurricane glass, storm panels, or plywood. Got idea to get supplies ASAP. I'll honk the horn to you in a couple of days just in case I need to use my hotel reservations in Ocala.

MissBecky
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: Ft. Myers, FL
Re: In 34202 and getting nervous.... [Re: CoalCracker]
      #58689 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:48 PM

Fort Myers NBC affiliate has finally decided to notice Wilma. From the station's website:

Computer models have come into good agreement, with last night's versions showing that Wilma will track slowly northwest today and Wednesday, turning slowly to the north on Thursday and through the Yucatan Channel on Friday.

From there, the storm heads northeast, with models ranging from Wilma crossing over the Florida Keys to landfalls near Charlotte or Sarasota counties.

Because the storm is still several days away and conditions may change, all Floridians need to be prepared for the possibility of hurricane conditions in four or five days.

As the storm progresses the forecast will be refined, but as of now it appears Wilma will be a quick-moving storm, producing 4-6 inches of rain.

The main threat from Wilma should be wind and a potential storm surge.

All Southwest Florida residents should continue to monitor this storm closely.

I'm glad they're talking about this early, so people here have plenty of time to make their preparations. I think the prevailing attitude here is, "What?? I thought hurricane season was over!"

amonty
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Clearwater, Fl
Re: NHC Track [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #58690 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:50 PM

For everyone that is concerned about the black line used with the cone. Here is an interesting .pdf file about the "cone of error". It's from the Texas Governor's Division of Emergency Management. Please note it is a PDF file and can only be opened with Adobe Acrobat
www.txdps.state.tx.us/dem/press/press051805.pdf
sorry link was bad should work now!

Edited by amonty (Tue Oct 18 2005 12:52 PM)

lawgator
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: E C Fla.
Path [Re: amonty]
      #58691 - Tue Oct 18 2005 01:00 PM

It seems to my very untrained eye that the forecast predictions on track for Wilma have not been terribly accurate so far. The last advisory had her at 7 m.p.h. NW and expected to continue that for next 24 hours, but satellite imagery sure suggests that she has a much more westerly component than north right now. Also, the models seem to have bounced around a bit, at least in the short term. Bottom line is that this is somewhat reminiscent of Mitch and the lesson is to expect the unexpected, as the saying goes.

Would not be surprised to see the forecast path change a bunch between now and same time tomorrow so those with cruises and ball games (see above posts) obviously need to keep an eye on things but I don't know that I'd change plans much right now based on what we THINK we know so far.

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Joe B's Thoughts on Wilma [Re: doug]
      #58692 - Tue Oct 18 2005 01:00 PM

Wilma definitely seems to have picked up speed, though that could just be temporary. The 12Z GFS moves it steadily towards the Yucutan until 36 hours, then slows it down and turns it north toward the Yucutan channel, brushing by Cuba in the 60-84 hour time frame. It then has an even sharper turn to the east, bringing the center just south of the Keys and the peninsula in about 108 hours.

Right now, it appears that Wilma is undergoing some shear from the west. The outflow is restricted in that part of the storm and there appear to be light westerly winds at some level blowing into the western side of the system at the moment.

ralphfl
Weather Master

Re: NHC Track [Re: amonty]
      #58693 - Tue Oct 18 2005 01:03 PM

don't like the 12Z CMC run right into tampa bay.Hope the rest don't follow suit.Can't remember what the CMC was before since it is not very good i did not look.

that's the canadian meteorological center model. it's a lot better for mid-latitude stuff... sometime's it's on and sometimes not. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Tue Oct 18 2005 01:44 PM)

dave foster
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: UK
      #58694 - Tue Oct 18 2005 01:03 PM

The speed the NHC publishes is the estimated speed of motion at the time of the advisory ( correct me if I'm wrong anyone ) but they may also take into account the average speed between the last advisory and the current one. The speeds that I am quoting are those average speeds, between the last advisory position and the current advisory position i.e. say the distance from point A to point B is 68 miles. It takes the storm 6 hours to move between these two points, hence the average speed was approx. 11mph. Taking into account the NHC's level of uncertainty of any advisory position that they publish, the actual speed may be more or less than the original speed quoted. This may result in them making a conservative estimate of speed at the current position, in this case 8mph.

--------------------
Dave Foster
http://www.ascn92.dsl.pipex.com

SMOKE
Weather Watcher

Loc: USA, Ga.
Re: NHC Track [Re: amonty]
      #58695 - Tue Oct 18 2005 01:23 PM

Quote:

For everyone that is concerned about the black line used with the cone. Here is an interesting .pdf file about the "cone of error". It's from the Texas Governor's Division of Emergency Management. Please note it is a PDF file and can only be opened with Adobe Acrobat
www.txdps.state.tx.us/dem/press/press051805.pdf
sorry link was bad should work now!

Great point ... it is impossibly difficult to educate the masses. Director Mayfield and his predecessor made an overt effort publicly to point that out. The 'room' for error is advertised, however, it always comes back to .... 'what did you hear versus were you listening?'.

--------------------

Ormond Suzie
Weather Watcher

Loc: Ormond Beach, Florida
Westward motion more than NW? [Re: dave foster]
      #58696 - Tue Oct 18 2005 01:25 PM

I've been looking at the floater loops and trying to figure out if this is what I'm seeing? It looks as if Wilma is to the left of the forecast points, putting her recent motion more west than northwest.

Or is it just me?

Bloodstar

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Keeping Cool and Wilma [Re: dave foster]
      #58697 - Tue Oct 18 2005 01:31 PM

A few thoughts...

The storm is wobbling a little south of the NW line at the moment, not sure how long that will hold, but it should make for some more nervous jitters further north.

If it gets strong enough, I expect it to have a more difficult time turning, and some of those sharp right hand turns just won't be quite as sharp (as the storm will be strong enough to deflect the turning mechanisms), I hope everyone north of Tampa keeps an eye on the storm (which I suspect people will around here).

That being said, I suggest taking a bit of time this afternoon and next to relax and keep away from the computer and tracking these storms. After all, it's not going to change direction no matter how hard you stare at the pixels and you quite possibly will need the rest and fresh mind in the weekend ahead.

Wilma is looking better, the restricted NW quadrant is starting to build back, which tells me that either the dry air is being pushed back, or Wilma is able to absorb that blow.

Just my untrained thoughts...

-Mark

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

ralphfl
Weather Master

Re: Westward motion more than NW? [Re: Ormond Suzie]
      #58698 - Tue Oct 18 2005 01:31 PM

NEW GDFL has lowered to FT Myers so now none near Tamap.....Hope it stays that way.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 551 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 79473

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center