F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 210 (Idalia) , Major: 210 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 210 (Idalia) Major: 210 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged: Wed
Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Keeping Cool and Wilma [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #58719 - Tue Oct 18 2005 02:37 PM

As a person with hotel management experience...it is VITAL that you make reservations directly with the hotel. Remember that many hotels are not owned by the chain and many are not even interfaced (especially in smaller cities/towns) to the main reservations system. Hotels routinely overbook due to cxl rates...it is a true art to actually get a "full house"

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sara33
Weather Guru

Loc: St. Pete,
Re: wilma on the move [Re: HanKFranK]
      #58720 - Tue Oct 18 2005 02:38 PM

HankFrank...
So in Laymens terms you see the highest probability from Crystal River south to Sarasota/Naples?
Thanks
Christine
St. Petersburg, FL

highest prob venice to fort myers, just my reckoning. crystal river is the northernmost point of the window. chokoloskee down the coast from naples is the southernmost. don't think keys or big bend with this one... right through the middle. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Tue Oct 18 2005 03:14 PM)

sprghill
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Lake County, FL
      #58721 - Tue Oct 18 2005 02:39 PM

what are the chances of Wilma comming to tampa,and when could we expect to feel the effects

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Wilma Nears Hurricane Strength [Re: WeatherNut]
      #58722 - Tue Oct 18 2005 02:40 PM

Well what I'm saying is that starting in the wee hours of the morning, NHC started priming the pump (getting the word out) for potential for a major hurricane at landfall. It's just what they did with Katrina and Rita. That's a different ballpark than saying Wilma could get up to a Cat 3 while in the Caribbean.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Kattbyrde
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Tue
      #58723 - Tue Oct 18 2005 02:43 PM

I understand it is way too early to pinpoint a landfall, but what is everyone's opinion on how it will cross the peninsula. Are you all thinking it's a straight east path, or more like Charley in that it will come up through the state in more of a east-north-east or north-east motion? :?:

Sorry, meant up through the state, not straight.

Edited by Kattbyrde (Tue Oct 18 2005 02:44 PM)

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

#58724 - Tue Oct 18 2005 02:44 PM

As usual, great post. Wilma looks better every hour.

stormchazer
Storm Tracker

Loc: Central Florida
Re: Westward motion more than NW? [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #58725 - Tue Oct 18 2005 02:46 PM

I know that the models are now shifting southward on the FL Peninsula and I am fine with that as I am in Central Florida. Since NOAA is sending the Gulfstream out on a sampling mission today and that data will be added to the models, it is likely that a more reliable output will be forthcoming tonight and into the morning so I think I will hold my judgement on where Wilma might be going until then, that is if it is okay with Ralph?!

--------------------
Jara

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Wilma Nears Hurricane Strength [Re: Margie]
      #58726 - Tue Oct 18 2005 02:46 PM

I agree with you there...I am trying to find information to apply to these thresholds...shear, SST's, previous intensity all are within parameters...have not calculated Max Potential, and dont know where to find the relative humidity (I would think its in the recon somewhere)...any thoughts from anyone on those last 2?

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: wilma on the move [Re: Kattbyrde]
      #58727 - Tue Oct 18 2005 02:48 PM

It appears likely that Wilma would take a NE or ENE track across the peninsula if in fact it heads that direction.

Looks like a plane will be in there in about an hour or so, which is good because there seems to have been a hiccup in available satellite imagery (I can't find anything that is less than 90 minutes old).

Kattbyrde
Verified CFHC User

Re: wilma on the move [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #58728 - Tue Oct 18 2005 02:50 PM

Thanks for your input. I'm in Central Florida so a Northeast direction could have an impact.
Thanks again.

Hootowl
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: New Port Richey, Fl
Re: wilma on the move [Re: Kattbyrde]
      #58729 - Tue Oct 18 2005 02:53 PM

Remember - this has potential to be a large (diameter) system. Don't just look at the line. That cannot be stressed enough!!!

lawgator
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sat
Loc: E C Fla.
      #58730 - Tue Oct 18 2005 02:58 PM

Frank, seems like Wilma is indeed on the move.... but virtually due West. More than a wobble. What say ye?

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-vis-loop.html

evergladesangler
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Fri
Re: wilma on the move [Re: lawgator]
      #58731 - Tue Oct 18 2005 03:02 PM

It does look like it's going due west. Any chance this thing just plows into the Yucatan and weakens, eliminating it as a threat to SWFL?

native
Weather Guru

Loc: SE Florida
      #58732 - Tue Oct 18 2005 03:03 PM

Well, I'm (insert any explitive here) annoyed! Wouldn't ya know...just went to Costco on Sunday and dropped a small fortune on meat/chicken/steaks/chops and such! How long does dry ice keep in a freezer??? Anywho...SFWD is now in "increased readiness" mode...what does that translate into? I'm keepin a close eye (no pun intended) on Wilma. SFWD is not going to get caught with their pants down as they did back for Georges. They've got a great sat image of her that the last frame is only about 1/2 hr old...movie format. She's looking impressive..might be my uneducated eye but, she seems to be trying/succeeding to fill in on her NW quad. www.sfwmd.gov/org/omd/ops/weather/wcaribvismovie.html

I don't care (just as a matter of speech) where she's going...all of FL, central on south from all the way across from the GOM to the Atlantic should be preparing, regardless of 1,2 or 3 (I'm going with some others on the 3 thinking) she's going to be big (bigger than she is now) windfield wise and she's going to knock out power and such.

HankFrank - Your making me nervous...unusual for you to make such bold statements Not looking good for somewhere in FL or the Northeast...just what they don't need...more rain. What's with the "breadcrumb" (to quote another poster) NHC's dropping out with the intensity? What's going on that they seem to think the shear is not going to be as much of factor that they had originally anticipated?

Wingman51
Weather Guru

Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Keeping Cool and Wilma [Re: native]
      #58733 - Tue Oct 18 2005 03:06 PM

OK - - starting to get concerned here in Cent FLA - - does anyone have a link to the swfwmd spaghetti plot??

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: fl
Re: Keeping Cool and Wilma [Re: native]
      #58734 - Tue Oct 18 2005 03:09 PM

Everyone should just be patient and wait for at least the 00Z runs to come in...NOAA has a plane going out there and that data will go into the models so we can have a better definition of maybe where its going to go. It will change the models or just give us more confidence. Anyways again its 4 days away still,,,,by later Weds or Thurs,, we can pinpoint where ,, if anywhere,, landfall might happen.,.,Cedar Key- brushing south of the Keys.....we dont know yet for another day or 2. We can start making good guess after the 0Z runs tonight.

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: wilma on the move [Re: evergladesangler]
      #58735 - Tue Oct 18 2005 03:09 PM

Most of the recent models show a short-term movement to the W or WNW, but still indicate the system will turn into the Gulf at some point and only one of the "usual suspects" (GFDL) brings the center near the Yucutan, with the others showing recurvature further east.

Looks like they are doing some satellite manuevers with GOES-12, but some imagery should be available again this atternoon with normal operations resuming tonight:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/SATS/SPBULL/MSG2902234.01.txt

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Re: wilma on the move [Re: evergladesangler]
      #58736 - Tue Oct 18 2005 03:10 PM

She's been forecasted to move west some before heading north then making that right hand turn...I believe some of the early modeling was even calling for further into Yucatan before the hard right into Fl.

History shows the majority of storms that form there this time of year do go into Fl...a half dozen or so have gone to mexico though so it isn't far-fetched that it could happen.

Tomorrow & Thurs will give a much better idea although some would say short notice...hence the continuation of the Bear watch for the Fl west coast.

native
Weather Guru

Loc: SE Florida
Re: Keeping Cool and Wilma [Re: Wingman51]
      #58737 - Tue Oct 18 2005 03:12 PM

Wingman - Didn't know that SFWMD had the spaghetti map but here's the one from the Sun-Sentinel...I find that their particular site updates its information the fastest:

weather.sun-sentinel.com/tropical/tracking/at200524_model.html

Katie
Weather Guru

Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re: wilma on the move [Re: twizted sizter]
      #58738 - Tue Oct 18 2005 03:13 PM

Well..after much thought, I have decided to stay put this weekend at home. I was suppose to go to Niceville to get pictures taken and then drive home on Saturday, but I think my place is at home. Not sure where exactly she will go but, as someone mentioned earlier - depending on the size - even if she doesn't come over me, I may still get the affects.

Is there anything out there that might slow her down weaken her a bit? The waters still appear to be pretty warm out in the GOM. Just wondering.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 120 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 78667

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center