F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Lili Weakens a Bit Heading for Central Louisiana
      #5915 - Thu Oct 03 2002 09:29 AM

11AM update

Lili has made landfall as a category two storm, after being a strong category four yesterday. This is incredibly interesting, and plenty of studys I'm sure will go into what happened here with Lili. It's also very lucky that it didn't make landfall as a stronger system. God has blessed the folks in Louisiana for the most part. There is damage, no doubt, but not as bad as it could have been.

Hype yesterday was intense, for good reason, it was a big storm, and every inch of movement was being analyzed and even the slightest hint of trouble was extrapolated. Nail biting moments I'm sure for emergency management and folks in weather and at the Hurricane Center.

As for why it weakened suddenly, I am not so sure . It could have been the shear, the water temps, the elongation, or a combination of all the above, perchance sprinkled with a miracle as well. All the best to our friends in Lousiana! You have dodged yet another bullet in two weeks time. I hope the damage that did occur was minimal. Some areas, I'm sure, will have a lot to clean up.

Currently Lili is moving inland, and has dropped to category 1 status, causing some wind damage and rain. It is still moving very rapidly. Hopefully quickly away so cleanup can commence.

Kyle is still around. Say hello!

Original Update

Good morning, some good news to pass along.

Hurricane Lili has experienced a little shear overnight and has been downgraded to a category 3, and is moving west away from the New Orleans area which a few people voiced concerns over last night. However, it still is a major storm and is heading to the Central Louisiana coast.

The eye became ragged and open on the south overnight as the storm got elongated north and south. As it makes landfall today it will still give a farily large storm surge and come with wind damage. As for intensity we'll have to watch it hour by hour.

More to come during the day.

NRL Monterey Marine Meteorology Division Forecast Track of Active Systems (Good Forecast Track Graphic and Satellite Photos)

NASA GHCC Interactive Satellite images at:
North Atlantic Visible (Daytime Only), Infrared, Water Vapor

Some forecast models:
NGM, AVN, MRF, ETA ECMWF

DoD Weather Models (NOGAPS, AVN, MRF)
AVN, ECMWF, GFDL, MM5, NOGAPS, UKMET

Multi-model plots from WREL

Other commentary at Mike Anderson's East Coast Tropical Weather Center, Robert Lightbown/Crown Weather Tropical Update Accuweather's Joe Bastardi, Hurricane City Weather Audio Broadcast Network - Live Audio from Jim Williams and Barometer Bob , mpittweather , Tropical Weather Watchers.Com (JasonM) Gary Gray's Millennium Weather, Barometer Bob's Hurricane Hollow, Snonut, Ed Dunham and Jason M in our Storm Forum Even more on the links page.

- [mike@flhurricane.com]

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
4:35 CDT...
      #5916 - Thu Oct 03 2002 09:58 AM

This is about as intense as it's been yet. This is true Tropical Storm conditions. It's raining sheets and there have been 2 tornado warnings in my Parish (Jefferson) in the last hour. 1 was in Marrero and Avondale (across the river maybe 6-8 miles south) and another one in Jefferson, LA whic is due south of me about a 2 miles or so.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

joepub1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Jacksonville,Fla
Re: 4:35 CDT...
      #5917 - Thu Oct 03 2002 10:35 AM

Hang in there Steve, looks like it will be a long day for you, but she has let up just a little. Hopefully making landfall will let some more air out of her tires. Eyewall kinda caved in at some point this morning. be safe and smart on your day off.

Joe in JAX

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Everything's cool...
      #5918 - Thu Oct 03 2002 10:47 AM

There are a couple of downed limbs on my block and a little flooding in a ponding area on the corner, but it's not that bad. We still haven't lost power which I'm kind of surprised at, but it's all good. As the threat shifts west to Lafayette, here are a couple of links for the next day or two:

http://www.theadvertiser.com/

That's Lafayette's newspaper.

http://www.katc.com/

That's an ABC affiliate out of Lafayette, LA. There are some weather cams out of Lafayette and Eunice, LA.

Steve

--------------------

joepub1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #5919 - Thu Oct 03 2002 10:55 AM

Just another note. Lili looks like she's gone about as far west as she's gonna go. New Iberia looks to catch the NE wall of the eye, Lafayette will have the center pass right over it. Steve, your prob. in the worse rainband your going to see today. Good luck and hope things get back to normal quickly for you and your family.

joepub1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #5920 - Thu Oct 03 2002 11:04 AM

Down to Cat2, great news for all of LA!

JustMe
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Re: Everything's cool...
      #5922 - Thu Oct 03 2002 12:23 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with you all In Louisana and Mississippi.
Happy it is not as bad as it could have been
Sue

--------------------

I have survived Betsy Miss, Camille Miss., Andrew Fl, Charley Fl, Frances FL, Jeanne FL,

BabyCat
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: New Orleans, La.
      #5923 - Thu Oct 03 2002 12:39 PM

Londovir--Cudos once again!!!

Richard
Unregistered

LANDFALL
      #5924 - Thu Oct 03 2002 12:48 PM

Northern eyewall now at the coast at the very west end of Vermillion Bay. New Iberia right in the line of fire in the front right eyewall very soon. Best of luck.

cappycat
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Raceland, LA
Re: Lili Weakens a Bit Heading for Central Louisiana
      #5925 - Thu Oct 03 2002 01:46 PM

We're still here! Last night when we saw that N jog and massive winds, then there was a tornado S of us. We left and went to my fathers house (next door, so not far to go) for the night.

We have lost some trees...one is snapped in half at the middle of the trunk. Last night at about 3AM we could hear a roaring off in the distance towards the S, out in the swamp, then were hit with a pretty big feeder band. We didn't lose electricity though...didn't lose it with Andrew either.

Anyway, we are ok here. So relieved that Lili was not the monster we were all ready for.

cappycat
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Raceland, LA
      #5926 - Thu Oct 03 2002 01:52 PM

Steve, glad you guys are doing ok, too. I am thinking that this afternoon and a nap sound pretty good right about now

clyde w.
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
      #5927 - Thu Oct 03 2002 02:05 PM

Steve,

Thanks for the links last nite...I'll check them out in detail this evening...work's a *&%& right now. One of them reminded me of visiting the grandparents in the Glades.

Glad to see you made it through ok. Guess my Avery Island call was pretty close...hope I don't get any hate mail from any hot sauce fans.

Anyway, be safe, and I'll check in again this evening to make sure all the CFHC family from LA has come through ok.

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
lili shows sympathy
      #5928 - Thu Oct 03 2002 02:15 PM

heheheh. isidore did a pretty good job of busting everybody.. lili has seconded that. not coming in a as a major.. this is no big deal. floyd all over again for most people. goes to show how rare a category four hurricane landfall really is.
HF 1416z03october

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
9:15am...
      #5929 - Thu Oct 03 2002 02:19 PM

We're getting sporadic bands coming through with gusts in the 35-40 range. I'm just enjoying the day off. Glad everything's cool with you too Cappy. I'm still thinking there will be some bad weather today as the biggest danger is rainfall under training bands. We've been okay here in Metairie, but I think there has been some localized flooding in St. Tammany Parish (East of here) because they've been under a pretty vicious band for several hours. Good luck over there to everyone in St. Tammany!

Steev

--------------------

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: 9:15am...
      #5930 - Thu Oct 03 2002 02:34 PM

MS not having any really serious problems at all... Tide looks to be about 5-6 feet above normal.... Izzy had an 8 foot tidal surge... winds at my house about the same, maybe a little less... 30 - to 40 max gusts...

Water level got about 25 feet from base of sea wall at its highest point ... just got back from the beach... several areas of hwy 90 are under water and traffic rerouted... typical for this high of tides..

Goes to show you how perfect environmental conditions need to be to sustain a strong Cat 4 storm... they are rare indeed... Lili is still going to do quite a bit of damage but boy it could have been catastrophically worst...

BabyCat
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: New Orleans, La.
Louisiana 1927
      #5931 - Thu Oct 03 2002 02:43 PM

The sense of relief and deliverance they are probably feeling in south Lousiana must be overwhelming this morning.
Good for them!

Bill
Unregistered

Power of Prayer
      #5932 - Thu Oct 03 2002 03:14 PM

Pure and simple folks..how else does aCat 4 /Cat 5 hurricane ina favorable environment go from 145 mph (or more) to 100 mph, in less than 8 hours?

IHS,

Bill

FlaRebel
Unregistered

Re: Power of Prayer
      #5933 - Thu Oct 03 2002 03:35 PM

I may be wrong, but I think the water closer to the coast was alot cooler than the water Lili intensified over. I'm not sure what the temps were. I think she also got some shear from the left as well. Okay, one of you gurus, help me out here!

craig
Unregistered

Re: Power of Prayer
      #5934 - Thu Oct 03 2002 03:43 PM

Thank Dyno Gel again for decreasing the cat from a 4 to a strong 1 at landfall.Winds 90 making landfall over last 1-2 hours. There is though no evidence yet of sustain winds near 90, only up to 72mph with gusts near that, should be down to 75 or 80 at intermediate advisory.

Brett
Unregistered

Its a good thought...
      #5935 - Thu Oct 03 2002 03:47 PM

But I highly doubt prayer was the causal factor here. Shear picked up, dry air became entrained in the circulation, and the SST's cooled as she approached. Also, highly doubtful the 145 mph was ever accurate...was probably more like 120 at the surface, at the most, as evidenced by the readings from the central gulf buoy. A lot of intensity hype with this one....it wasn't her fault, lol.

As for the prayer part, well....the prime being sure must have it in for South Florida then. Either that or no one thought to pray during Andrew...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 65287

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center