F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 230 (Idalia) , Major: 230 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 230 (Idalia) Major: 230 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: into the crystal ball [Re: Colleen A.]
      #59852 - Wed Oct 19 2005 11:58 PM

I did not see my local weather this evening. Was disgusted that they did not carry Max Mayfield, so I boycotted them. Colleen, any news on Orlando Stations?

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
      #59853 - Wed Oct 19 2005 11:58 PM

and it frustrates me because i've been trying to say this all day... which is, such a massive discontinuity is almost never right!

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk City, FL
      #59854 - Wed Oct 19 2005 11:59 PM

00z GFS stalls Wilma over the Yucatan... again...

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/carib/gfs/00/fp1_060.shtml

evergladesangler
Weather Hobbyist

Re: into the crystal ball [Re: Rdietch]
      #59855 - Wed Oct 19 2005 11:59 PM

Quote:

Where can i see the GFS 00Z run as its coming in.Anyone have a link to it?

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/00/index_slp_m_loop.shtml

It's showing a dramatic weakening over Yucatan and then it shoves back out towards Cuba in a ESE direction. That's as far as it is right now.

Now 84 hours has the storm in the Yucatan channel.

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Loc: Valladolid,Mx
      #59856 - Thu Oct 20 2005 12:00 AM

Well,2 things seem to have changed from this morning.1 they feel it maybe stronger at landfall here in FL.2 the track seems to be set more into a south Florida hit.Hopefully things will change,But we have to prepare for the worst here in S Florida.

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

#59857 - Thu Oct 20 2005 12:01 AM

http://ggweather.com/loops/ncep_loops.htm

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: into the crystal ball [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #59858 - Thu Oct 20 2005 12:08 AM

No, I didn't watch the Orlando stations tonight. Although I think it's a safe bet that they are saying the same thing all the other stations are saying:

STAY TUNED.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Re: into the crystal ball [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #59860 - Thu Oct 20 2005 12:09 AM

Bob, they will change. So no worries, you may only get some squally weather.

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Re: into the crystal ball [Re: evergladesangler]
      #59861 - Thu Oct 20 2005 12:11 AM

Actually it weakens then restrengthens it as it moves into SW FL..

--------------------

tpratch

Loc: Maryland
      #59862 - Thu Oct 20 2005 12:12 AM

Bob, they've been calling for a Cat 3 at landfall since this morning.

As for the current track, you know that these things change 3-4 days out (which this storm's forecast currently is). Plenty can and likely will change between now and then.

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Loc: Valladolid,Mx
      #59863 - Thu Oct 20 2005 12:15 AM

I would love to believe that.But given the models,we have to get ready for the worse.The GDFL is the one I trust,and that does take it over my area.People are very scared here,even the long time locals.

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

zacker20
Weather Watcher

#59864 - Thu Oct 20 2005 12:16 AM

11 PM Advisory is what I expected intensity-wise - however Wilma is not weakening as much as I expected. Winds are at 155MPH with the pressure at 894mb... This would make her an extremely strong Cat 4, but I can bet that those wind speeds are conservative, because with that pressure being so low they could be well over category 5 strength.

Looking at the latest computer model runs and water vapor images, it appears that Wilma is beginning to incorporate some northerly component in her movements. It hasn't made any significant turn, but it has began to jog a little more to the northwest. The general motion of the storm still remains west-northwest, but I believe over the next 6-12 hours Wilma will begin to start heading in a purely Northwest direction. The forward speed has increased to 8mph, not that notable of a difference, but still that is different from what we were expecting. I was expecting it to slowdown some, but actually the forward motion has continued and kind of increased. The High Pressure ridge is beginning to weaken due to the trough starting to sag southward and by this time tomorrow, Wilma should find a weakness in that ridge and begin to move northward into the Gulf of Mexico. The point where Wilma enters the Gulf of Mexico will greatly determine where she makes landfall on the Florida pennisula. I am still shooting for the trough to pick up Wilma directly between the Yucatan channel and the Western tip of Cuba and shoot her eastward towards southern Florida. But, I may have to adjust the track a bit northward based on this increase in forward motion. Basically, we're looking at a south of Naples landfall. That's the most likely scenario right now.

But, once again, I must stress that it is still not improbable that Wilma will not be picked up by this trough. She may very well slowdown tomorrow morning/afternoon and continue on a WNW motion right into the eastern Yucatan pennisula. However, this slight northwesterly movement over the last couple of hours is an indication that Wilma is beginning to be influenced by the weakening high pressure ridge. The trough is not influencing her yet, but I expect it will continue to erode that ridge and we will see Wilma beginning a NNW, or northward motion by this time tomorrow into the Gulf of Mexico.

For Central Florida, chances remain pretty low that Wilma will have a direct impact. It all depends on if Wilma picks up forward speed. If she starts increasing her speed and manages to clip the eastern Yucatan pennisula before being turned to the northeast, she will gain a higher latitude and come in further north on the pennisula. However, I am still not sold that it would be Central Florida. In my mind, the furthest north it can go is Sarasota. The trough is just moving too fast and Wilma is not likely to beat it.

The intensity forecast remains complicated still. If she moves into the GOM as planned, she will weaken. Interaction with the Yucatan pennisula will also help weaken the system. There are colder temperatures in the Gulf of Mexico, they are running 79-81F and the deep water is much cooler than the surface. Also, this trough will cause quite a bit of shear on the system. I just don't see a Category 4 system making landfall in Florida if this scenario plays out. Once she emerges in the Gulf and begins her track to the Northeast, she will begin weakening rapidly. I am calling for a minimal to moderate Category 3 storm with winds no more than 120mph. That's still a dangerous storm, but a lot less damaging then a Cat 4 system coming in.

Let me know if you guys have any questions. Sorry, it comes 1 hour after the advisory, but I wanted to make sure my forecast was right

efaulkSWFLA
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Fort Myers, Florida
      #59865 - Thu Oct 20 2005 12:17 AM

Hello All.. In the past 48hrs we have heard here that this storm was going to enter apprx. at the south shore of Lake O, then it was the north shore, then possibly Charlotte Har. Then reports of Sarasota to even Tampa.

Is it safe to say that here in Ft Myers, we have a pretty good shot at a direct hit? Is it wise to get out sometime Friday?

Right now. The southern half of the FL Peninsula has a 50/50 shot at Hurricane Force winds.
That is subject to and will change.

Friday would be a good point to plan on leaving...but again. That is dependant on what Wilma does Tomorrow.

I would get everything ready and makes your reservations. Then Friday you can load and go.~danielw

Edited by danielw (Thu Oct 20 2005 12:22 AM)

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Changes [Re: typhoon_tip]
      #59866 - Thu Oct 20 2005 12:17 AM

Yes it changed again. And the 06Z and the 12Z and the 18Z models will probably change too.

It's great that you are paying close attention to Wilma. But remember. If you put you ear to the floor to listen for elephants. They may sneak up on you before you hear them.
Back off once in a while and look at the Satellite pics of the whole Lower 48 states. Don't stay to focused or fixated.

Ok I'm finished.

Other than the Keys. Has anyone heard any additional evacuation plans from the counties?

evergladesangler
Weather Hobbyist

Re: into the crystal ball [Re: zacker20]
      #59867 - Thu Oct 20 2005 12:19 AM

Looking at the IR loops I see no northerly movement beyond the general direction it has been on for some time now. In the last frame it is heading back west of the NHC forecast point. There's so much jogging it's hard to tell but it looks like its still on the same general path towards the Yucatan.

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Re: into the crystal ball [Re: tpratch]
      #59868 - Thu Oct 20 2005 12:22 AM

I am looking at whats comming down on the NOGAPS and at 72 Hrs, its due north of Cozumel about the 23.5 -24 Degree mark. Further west then the 18Z was at around this time..

--------------------

evergladesangler
Weather Hobbyist

#59869 - Thu Oct 20 2005 12:23 AM

Quote:

I am looking at whats comming down on the NOGAPS and at 72 Hrs, its due north of Cozumel about the 23.5 -24 Degree mark. Further west then the 18Z was at around this time..

Do you have a link on that one? TIA

zacker20
Weather Watcher

Re: into the crystal ball [Re: evergladesangler]
      #59870 - Thu Oct 20 2005 12:23 AM

Quote:

Looking at the IR loops I see no northerly movement beyond the general direction it has been on for some time now. In the last frame it is heading back west of the NHC forecast point. There's so much jogging it's hard to tell but it looks like its still on the same general path towards the Yucatan.

It's not moving northward, but it has began a sligh northwest jog. You can see it slightly happening over the last couple of hours. It has been moving just slightly north of west and this could be the beginnings of a northwesterly trend.

Rdietch
Weather Hobbyist

Re: into the crystal ball [Re: typhoon_tip]
      #59871 - Thu Oct 20 2005 12:24 AM

Thanks and 1 more where can i get the GDFL as its coming out the loop of it like the GFS one.

Thanks.

harmlc.ath.cx
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Longwood
      #59872 - Thu Oct 20 2005 12:29 AM

Other than the Keys. Has anyone heard any additional evacuation plans from the counties?
Quote:

Most of the counties are having their emergency meetings tommorrow, then they'll decide what actions to take.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 93 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 60050

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center