F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: hernando beach, FL
Re: Movement [Re: emackl]
      #59991 - Thu Oct 20 2005 09:23 AM

Here's the latest NOGAPS animated run - It looks to be 00Z. Can't seem to find 06Z. This looks very ominous for Tampa Bay.

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/CGI/PUBLIC/wx...;dtg=2005102000

--------------------
RJB

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tracey
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Fri
Re: Movement [Re: NewWatcher]
      #59992 - Thu Oct 20 2005 09:23 AM

How much North?

Rdietch
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
      #59993 - Thu Oct 20 2005 09:24 AM

for the GFDL new run to verify it would have to be going NW about now which as of this point its not.

Jonathan Franklin
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Miami, Florida
What is meant by extra-tropical characteristics? [Re: Tracey]
      #59994 - Thu Oct 20 2005 09:26 AM

I have a question, in this morning's NHC discussion section, in the last paragraph reference is made:

WILMA SHOULD BEGIN TO ACQUIRE extratropical CHARACTERISTICS

What do they mean by extra-tropical characteristics? And what is the impact or concern, if any, for those of us in South Florida?

Thanks in advance.

stormchazer
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Central Florida
Re: What is meant by extra-tropical characteristics? [Re: Jonathan Franklin]
      #59995 - Thu Oct 20 2005 09:30 AM

They generally mean that will develop a more Cold-Core with a broader wind-field structure. They are refering to Wilma after it exits the East-Coast of Florida. One of our more knowledgeable folk on here can likely explain it better.

--------------------
Jara

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Loc: Orlando, Florida
06Z NOGAPS [Re: stormchazer]
      #59996 - Thu Oct 20 2005 09:32 AM

The 06Z NOGAPS is here

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/mywxmap/chart.do?loop=true&requestId=1129744754535.1195.3

--------------------
"Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get"
- Robert A. Heinlein

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
      #59997 - Thu Oct 20 2005 09:35 AM

Lake Toho pointed out the the NOGAPS has been consistent with a "south of Tampa" hit for the last 3 days. If the GFS and GFDL are shifting further north...and yes, Stuart would be further north) then I think we need to pay attention. I believe that those are the 3 most reliable models. I think I remember a storm last year (or it could have been this year) where the outlier was actually the CORRECT model; so it's happened before.
Look at it this way: consistency is the key. We have one (which has been called the outlier) model that has been consistent for 3 days, maybe 4 now. The other two were in line until a fluke yesterday, but the runs are now coming into line with a further north movement...not sure if they have been doing that for just one run or two.
We have seen too many times where the track has shifted a little left, then a little right, then back again to trust any forecasted path right now. That's why we're in a "cone".
If I remember correctly, Ivan was supposed to hit Jamaica, but missed it; hit Cuba but went below it, we all know what happened. And, as alluded to by a prior poster, look at what happened with Rita...it went from hitting Mexico to making landfall in Port Arthur, Texas.
To rule out any portion of the state is ridiculous. Right *now*, this very minute, some areas are in more danger than others. But we are 3 days out and to say that any other areas in FL can "breath a sigh of relief" is not only silly, it's downright irresponsible.
IMHO, I think that it will be a very close call for Cancun and Cozumel, but I don't think it's going to plow into the Yucatan Peninsula. I think it will graze it and then move north, then NE. I don't see a scenario which would have it making a very sharp right hand turn (ENE). I'm not sure that is possible with a storm as large as Wilma.
Please keep in mind, that the above statement is only my opinion, not a forecast.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Twin Cities
      #59998 - Thu Oct 20 2005 09:35 AM

Beyond my knowledge to say why this is sometimes missing in the summary information, but look further down and you'll see there was another entry with wave heights missing in the summary info.

However it is still observing the wave height if you look at the current readings at the top, and if you page down to the bottom, to the detailed wave summary, where you'll notice that the waves have started to become steep. Wait until they become very steep. The sea conditions tha these buoys tell us about can be really amazing to comptemplate. You should have seen what the buoy south of Dauphin Island recorded last year for Ivan - really large, steep waves.

I wasn't tracking hurricanes then but I was visiting my cousin at the Jersey Shore when I saw on the news a strong hurricane was south of the MS coast. I was able to get a couple hours on the computers at the local library and get on the internet to search for and relay some information to my brother during the evening she made landfall. They had some trouble getting me to leave at 9pm! I vividly remember finding the NHC and NOAA sites and looking at the Mobile radar image, wondering when in the sam hill Ivan was going to make that bend to the right that they were talking about, and spare MS from destruction. The next morning I went back and checked the buoy info. Wow it was impressive. There was only one newspaper that I knew of that picked up on the info as well and noted the one exceptionally large (average) wave height of over 50 feet, which I also noted in an email to my brother:

"The buoy south of Dauphin stopped measuring waves from 3pm to 10pm...I think the waves were too extreme to measure...but came online after that and measured average wave height of 52.5 ft at 7pm"

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Tracey
Verified CFHC User

Re: 06Z NOGAPS [Re: Jamiewx]
      #59999 - Thu Oct 20 2005 09:42 AM

Does anyone have a site that shows graphic which includes the NOGAPS model?

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Movement [Re: Colleen A.]
      #60000 - Thu Oct 20 2005 09:43 AM

Heya Colleen
I dont know if this is what you were thinking or not but the GFDL was the outlier on Katrina and Rita and turned out to be right. I agree with you that those three are the most reliable this year at least. I am watching the GFDL and NOGAPS with interest
peace

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

Ed G
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Clermont, Fl
Re: 06Z NOGAPS [Re: Tracey]
      #60001 - Thu Oct 20 2005 09:47 AM

Tracey, check out this site....

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/tcgengifs/

doesn't update very frequently

emackl
Storm Tracker

Loc: Indianapolis
Wilma [Re: Ed G]
      #60002 - Thu Oct 20 2005 09:51 AM

Boy, she really seems to be stretching north/south now. Has anyone looked recently? Is it just me or is she elongating? Steve Lyons has always said that's a sign of a change of direction. I hate it for the Yuc but it would be so much better for FL is she never turned.

Fletch
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Wilma [Re: emackl]
      #60003 - Thu Oct 20 2005 09:55 AM

Quote:

Boy, she really seems to be stretching north/south now. Has anyone looked recently? Is it just me or is she elongating? Steve Lyons has always said that's a sign of a change of direction. I hate it for the Yuc but it would be so much better for FL is she never turned.

I've been watching that as well the past few hours. Also seems to be slowing somewhat. It may start to meander for the next few hours before starting the NW movement.

--------------------
Irwin M. Fletcher

Colleen A.

Loc: Florida
      #60004 - Thu Oct 20 2005 09:57 AM

Yes, those were the storms I was thinking of...thanks for backing that up! My brain is addled at this point, LOL.
Also...is it me or does it appear that the storm is beginning to *maybe* move more towards the NW? Or is that just because a whole loop has not been finished?
Thanks Pam!

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged: Sun
Loc: Tampa
Re: Wilma [Re: Fletch]
      #60005 - Thu Oct 20 2005 09:58 AM

Yep, starting to look like an egg

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Movement [Re: Margie]
      #60006 - Thu Oct 20 2005 09:58 AM

Good morning:

The mystery should be over today, and before the 5p.m. we should know if the NHC track will hold or some more yet unforeseen resullt such as those suggesting meandering south of Cuba will emerge.
the visual evidence suggests the NHC guidance will prevail, in my opinion. What I see is the high in the western GOM IS eroding tothe SW. On the WV you can see area of convergence with the strom and the moisture from the storm beginning to effect a SW-NE flow west of 90W. The short wave energy with the low over the Central U.S. is emerging off the Texas Gulf Coast from the NW and it looks like a steering mechanism to the NE will emerge from this later say in about 18-24 hrs. The amplitude of this would seem to be consistent with NOGAPS 6Z...
This of course is not at all what the experts are thinking, which continues to be a Southwest Florida solution.

--------------------
doug

THROWIN

Re: Wilma a Category 4 Hurricane Moving West Northwest [Re: MikeC]
      #60007 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:00 AM

Here is a web cam from my resort in Cancun (Royal Sands). You can watch Wilma approach until power goes out.

http://www.royalresorts.com/webcam.stm

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Wilma a Category 4 Hurricane Moving West Northwest [Re: THROWIN]
      #60008 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:04 AM

Great webcams...already seeing the gusty winds. Thanks and good luck!

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

emackl
Storm Tracker

Loc: Indianapolis
Re: Movement [Re: doug]
      #60009 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:06 AM

Can someone answer this, if she did start that dreaded turn and just clipped the Yuc does it change the timing at all? Is the NHC confident with their sun/mon Florida landfall? I'm confused on whether or not yesterdays crazy GFDL runs influenced the timing on the NHC's part. It worries me especially if she goes into the Naples area. That's a difficult evac city.

Tracey
Verified CFHC User

Re: 06Z NOGAPS [Re: Ed G]
      #60010 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:06 AM

thanks for the site. Sure hope NOGAPS isn't correct. Nobody seems to talk about the NOGAPS models this year, why, do you know?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 655 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 60118

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center