F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 231 (Idalia) , Major: 231 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 231 (Idalia) Major: 231 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)
Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: danielw]
      #60429 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:45 PM

Just got home...Wilma not looking like she's going to make it into cat 5 territory again. Looks like dry air may be having an effect on the north and west sides of the storm, which I didn't expect this afternoon. But looking at the wv loop, that is the way it appears to me. Also it looks like she ran out of real estate before she got a chance to completely recover from the ERC. The eye hasn't completely cleared out yet. But she still has good overall organization, the eye is round, she still has an extremely low pressure, and is still a very powerful hurricane.

Looking at the steering layer right now it certainly does appear she is going to bulls-eye Cozumel.

Buoy 42056 is getting hurricane-force gusts now and waves may have peaked at 33ft. Pressure is still up around 990.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Re: just a little bit confused [Re: jmusicman]
      #60430 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:45 PM

Quote:

I've been watching you guys for a while and thought you might like this link (its the 11pm forecast track)
http://www.nlmoc.navy.mil/center/Tropical/wtnt01.gif

if you look at the degrees (325) of motion it looks like its now officially moving NNW

...Interesting! I had a 1/4 ration using arc tan for an angle of 360 - 15, which equals 345degrees... I am a bit surprised that they are so flat.. I'm thinking the discussion will be interesting..

jmusicman

Reged: Thu
Loc: Fort Lauderdale,FL
Re: just a little bit confused [Re: typhoon_tip]
      #60431 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:49 PM

Yeah it would need to be closer to 340 for a true NNW... btw.... the navy always updates that site about 15-30 minutes before the NHC....

Edited by danielw (Thu Oct 20 2005 10:56 PM)

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: Margie]
      #60432 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:50 PM

The official forecast brings Wilma back up to 145 knots (cat 5) before landfall near Cancun. Needless to say, that would be a disaster.

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

#60433 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:51 PM

...I'm sure this has been covered already but just in case...Wilma's circulation field has grown tremendously since this time yesterday. Even if she does stay barely off shore and skims by, they'll have hurricane force winds and damage extensively so we should say that it's a moot point perhaps.

In other words...it's high confidence for sustained hurricane + force on the coast.. heck, at 7pm TWC had sustained 49mph at C

Edited by typhoon_tip (Thu Oct 20 2005 10:53 PM)

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged: Tue
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
      #60434 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:51 PM

Just got an email from a friend in Playa Del Carmen,they still have power,And not to bad yet.But the winds are increasing and the rain is getting heavy.

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

tpratch

Loc: Maryland
      #60435 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:51 PM

I too had a 345ish track over the last few hours from radar (heard that attenuation wasn't an issue, but didn't think to ask if the equipment in Mexico was the attenuation-reducing variety). On that track, her eye should miss landfall.

That being said, I'm not going to stay up all night to watch and will backpedal and say that a partial landfall is probable, but I do not expect the entire eye to be on land at any point in the next 24 hours.

YMMV, but I'm seeing the same info as everyone else.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Loc: Philadelphia
      #60436 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:52 PM

Aw yes, what to do. You people make me laugh at all the guess work that is going on in this forum. This model says it is going west, this one says it is going east, and this one says it will stall out. Give me a break already. Everyone is looking at all the models for their predictions and end results. To me, I belive that Wilma according to "ALL" the models, probally will not make landfall, but come through the Yucatan unscathed. What does that mean? Well, a CAT 4 on the move, perhaps a CAT 5 for a couple more days. If we didn't have models to look at, then we on this forum would have nothing to comment on. It's a crap shoot. Change tracks here, then re-change them here, who knows. Mother nature is the one who knows. Those unfortunate in the path of Wilma, may god bless all of you. But Everyone needs to heed the speed.

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Re: just a little bit confused [Re: The Force 2005]
      #60437 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:55 PM

Quote:

Aw yes, what to do. You people make me laugh at all the guess work that is going on in this forum. This model says it is going west, this one says it is going east, and this one says it will stall out. Give me a break already. Everyone is looking at all the models for their predictions and end results. To me, I belive that Wilma according to "ALL" the models, probally will not make landfall, but come through the Yucatan unscathed. What does that mean? Well, a CAT 4 on the move, perhaps a CAT 5 for a couple more days. If we didn't have models to look at, then we on this forum would have nothing to comment on. It's a crap shoot. Change tracks here, then re-change them here, who knows. Mother nature is the one who knows. Those unfortunate in the path of Wilma, may god bless all of you. But Everyone needs to heed the speed.

...Like I said in my previous post "...I'm sure this has been covered already but just in case...Wilma's circulation field has grown tremendously since this time yesterday. Even if she does stay barely off shore and skims by, they'll have hurricane force winds and damage extensively so we should say that it's a moot point perhaps."
is that the break you want?

weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Parrish florida
      #60438 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:56 PM

Nice Post and if you only knew how right you are! "Crap Shoot is a good definition. Thats pretty much it in a nutshell!

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Data [Re: weatherwatcher2]
      #60440 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:01 PM

21/0250Z...THE 00Z GFS STARTED ON TIME. NGM MODEL DONE.

NAM MODEL WAS OUT TO T+72HRS.

NCEP RECEIVED 28 DROPSONDE REPORTS FROM THE NOAA G-IV FLYING RECON FOR HURRICANE Wilma.

00Z RAOB RECAP..
JAN/72235 - 10142..EQUIP PBLM

note:This is Jackson,MS NWS site, and could have some effect of the models. As a weak shortwave appears to have passed through jackson since 12Z this morning. Just food for thought-Only~danielw

jmusicman

Loc: Fort Lauderdale,FL
Re: just a little bit confused [Re: weatherwatcher2]
      #60441 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:01 PM

well is it a 7 we going for? 16.67%... or do we just bet on the evens? (49.7%)

collegemom
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Central Arkansas
      #60442 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:02 PM

we be talking philly here. any takers?

--------------------
character has been defined as what we do when no one is looking

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Re: just a little bit confused [Re: weatherwatcher2]
      #60443 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:03 PM

Quote:

Nice Post and if you only knew how right you are! "Crap Shoot is a good definition. Thats pretty much it in a nutshell!

Looks like we're not the only one's taking interest in these developments tonight,
NHC: "HOWEVER...THE DYNAMICAL MODELS STEER Wilma NORTHWESTWARD INTO THE YUCATAN PENINSULA DURING THE NEXT 12-24 HR...A MOTION THAT IS NOT SUPPORTED BY THE CURRENT RIGHT
TURN OR THE JET DATA."

...Trust me, mentioning it, discussing it, reasoning it how....it's all important, necessitated and frankly, what this forum is all about...

...It's odd that people ever even hint at being critical for other people exercising the use of this forum for exactly what it exists for... Strange logic.

And actually, I forgot to add: "THIS TRACK ALSO REQUIRES AN EARLIER RECURVATURE INTO THE WESTERLIES THAN ANY OF THE GUIDANCE AND A FASTER PROGRESS TOWARD THE NORTHEAST
AND THE FLORIDA PENINSULA." - all from the official 11pm discussion.

Edited by typhoon_tip (Thu Oct 20 2005 11:08 PM)

tpratch

Loc: Maryland
      #60444 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:05 PM

Was much closer to 350 before the last frame was added...

collegemom
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Central Arkansas
      #60445 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:07 PM

Quote:

Hey Philly live through a storm or 2 then shoot craps

--------------------
character has been defined as what we do when no one is looking

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Data [Re: danielw]
      #60446 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:07 PM

NHC 11pm disc confirmed what I saw on the wv loop (starting with the 2045Z...before that, you can see the convection did recover from the ERC to become symmetric):

VERY DRY MID/UPPER-LEVEL AIR...

SHOULD BEGIN TO ENTRAIN INTO THE HURRICANE...AND INDEED THERE HAS BEEN SOME EROSION OF THE WESTERN SIDE OF THE CLOUD PATTERN DURING THE PAST 6 HR

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Loc: Philadelphia
      #60447 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:09 PM

A little off post but got ot comment on this

Watching the Weather Channel Jeff Morrow was interviewing a resident there I belive he was on the West Coast of FLA and he said that he moved there 3 years ago, and ask the residents there how often this particular area gets hit by a hurricane, the longtime resident said at least every 40 years, but the 3 year resident said now it seems that we are getting them every 40 minutes now. Just cracked me up.

weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Parrish florida
      #60448 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:10 PM

Yeah I know Im just frustrated a little! Sorry for that.. When do you think it will be a confident forecast? Im asking within 200 miles? Ive heard literally a 650 mile difference.

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Re: just a little bit confused [Re: tpratch]
      #60451 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:12 PM

Quote:

Was much closer to 350 before the last frame was added...

Who is in charge of making this image? This is different than HPC at 11pm so I'm curious..

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 348 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 55625

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center