F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)
Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged: Sun
Loc: Tampa
Re: From Scottsvb [Re: danielw]
      #60478 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:45 PM

Evening all, went out around 5pm, went to dinner with the wife and kids and came back and Tampa now looks to be significantly back in the cone of errrrrrr. Without me reading through a bunch of posts could someone give me a quick rundown on what or how this has happened, CHEERS

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: From Scottsvb [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #60480 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:47 PM

Yeah I can I update you:

Currently, it is a "CRAPSHOOT". All bets off if Wilma misses the Yucatan.

weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: Parrish florida
Re: From Scottsvb [Re: The Force 2005]
      #60481 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:49 PM

I think his meteorology has always been pretty up to snuff! Thank You for posting Scotts words....

You are most welcome~danielw

Edited by danielw (Thu Oct 20 2005 11:52 PM)

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

#60482 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:51 PM

Quote:

Evening all, went out around 5pm, went to dinner with the wife and kids and came back and Tampa now looks to be significantly back in the cone of errrrrrr. Without me reading through a bunch of posts could someone give me a quick rundown on what or how this has happened, CHEERS

..Basically, a substantial amount of time along Wilma's recent course has been right of the 12Z and 18Z guidance, making it highly skeptical that she will a) spend enough time over the Yucatan to weaken substantially, and b) requires that her spatial change be conserved down the line, giving rise to the necessity for a course correction - which is to say a quicker (potential) enter into the westerlies and therefore a slightly different approach to the Florida Penisula...

...However, HPC goes out of their way to say this is a minimal confidence result... unfortunately!

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Oklahoma
      #60483 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:52 PM

The 00Z GFS is coming in about the same as the previous two runs, with Wilma making landfall south of Cozumel around 18Z tomorrow and then sitting over the Yucatan through at least 48 hours (I have only seen the output out to 48 hours so far).

The shortwave nearing the Ohio Valley that is currently steering Wilma to the NW has about reached Wilma's longitude, so its influence should be ebbing within the next few hours. After that, Wilma will probably slow down even more, and that is when the models decide to drift it to the west. The current motion is somewhat more to the N than the models had been suggesting, but not by a whole lot. The westward movement was shown in the models to commence later tonight and we are about to see if that is going to materialize.

Edited by Thunderbird12 (Thu Oct 20 2005 11:56 PM)

Multi-Decadal Signal
Weather Guru

Loc: BROWARD
Re: just a little bit confused [Re: The Force 2005]
      #60484 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:54 PM

"Truly amazing, it is 11:30PM and so many observers on this site."

If you look to the left, you will see this.
Site Donations and thanks

We use a lot of bandwidth here and there are other expenses ...

Good night all. Probably little change will be found when I arise.

JMII
Weather Master

Loc: Margate, Florida
Re: just a little bit confused [Re: danielw]
      #60485 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:55 PM

Quote:

I went back and animated the 5 Day track at the http://nhc.noaa.gov site.

Wilma is Very Near the 3 Day forecast Point from MONDAY.

The NHC 3 day forecast ARE very accurate, history has proven this. Even with all these wobbles, loops and jogs - the overall motion and direction have been right on track. The only thing that has really changed is the time-line. We went from a Saturday PM to a Monday AM landfall in SW FL. Big picture wise I don't see much change in the overall forecast, at crunch time you'll be spilting hairs. Thus if the storm hits as high as Sarasota or as low as Key Largo the NHC will have it narrowed down. However the real problem is the forward speed once Wilma makes her turn (assuming that happens) - this accelerate will compress the timeline making it near impossible to focus the "cone of error" down to individual cities until maybe only 12 hours before landfall. Normally we would have a more precise location at around the 48 hour mark. Very frustrating when a storm slows, nearly stalls then takes off in another direction at nearly twice the speed - the margin for error goes thru the roof during such a dramatic event.

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced many tropical systems, put up the panels for:
David 79 - Floyd 87 - Andrew 92 - Georges 98 - Frances 04 - Wilma 05 - Matthew 16 - Irma 17
Lost our St James City rental property to Ian 22

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Satellites [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #60486 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:57 PM

Force. I just checked the last Dvorak figures.
Wilma's Eye Region temperature has warmed up to it's highest yet.
However the Mean Cloud temps have dropped about 3.5Cfrom today's peak.

Appears to be taking some shear from the West. As the Dvorak images are showing a lop-sided 'White" level. Badly eroded on the Western Semicircle.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/FLOAT/BD/20.jpg

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged: Sun
Loc: Tampa
Re: From Scottsvb [Re: typhoon_tip]
      #60487 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:57 PM

Any thoughts or agreement on this, should the cold front moving down Sat & Sun entrnch itself, wouldn;t Wilma choose another route, a Hurricane would not follow a cold front correct or no?

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

JG
Weather Hobbyist

A question for mets and all hobbyists [Re: JMII]
      #60489 - Fri Oct 21 2005 12:00 AM

Do the models take ALL historical climatology and paths into their outputs? Obviously we don't have pressure readings for the storm below in 1873, but the position of this current storm, Wilma, and the 1873 #5 hurricane sure do seem VERY similar and very ominous.

If historical climatology is part of the modeling process, especially the globals, please PM me and let me know how. I am very concerned though that Wilma is SIMILAR to the 1873 storm and the path might end up in the same manner.

Thanks again for all the great data that everyone posts here.

Link to path of 1873 #5 storm:

http://www.weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/1873/5/track.gif

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Loc: Philadelphia
Re: Satellites [Re: danielw]
      #60490 - Fri Oct 21 2005 12:02 AM

Daniel,

I agree, looks a little ragged on th ewest. But the eye is in tact and looking very symetric don't you think?

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

#60493 - Fri Oct 21 2005 12:07 AM

Quote:

Any thoughts or agreement on this, should the cold front moving down Sat & Sun entrnch itself, wouldn;t Wilma choose another route, a Hurricane would not follow a cold front correct or no?

...It depends on what you mean by "follow a coldfront"... If you mean, a cold front passes by the storm and then the storm starts chasing it then no...

...But I suspect you mean 'will the hurricane travel along parellel to the boundary?' That answer is maybe...

...Softly spoken, the U/A mechanics that cause a front to exist at the surface requires an excited windfield aloft. Any hurricane in the vicinity of a front tends to get pulled along polarward ahead of the boundary, while also transitioning into a different thermal dynamically driven system (barotropic vs baroclinic, but we won't get into that here) for various reasons. Until eventually it begins taking on extratropical characteristics.. Then it begins to look like a Norwegian model low (loosely), and can often turn into ferocious gale monsters in the N Atlantic. If the storm is too weak to begin with, the shearing ahead of the front may just cause it to morph right into the frontal boundary its self and loose identity altogether.. Wilma is waaaay to strong for that, however.. It is more likely that she will either a) stay ahead of the baroclinic zone as a separate entity as she going to England at ludicrous speed....or, she'll get sucked up into an important trough slated to dig into the Ohio Valley... If that happens, could be a whale of a Nor'easter/hybrid event up along the Mid-Atlantic and New England Coasts... That appeared to be a real concern 2 days ago, but since....the models have been finding every perturbation imaginable to make that not happen at least excuse to do so.. Which is probably a good thing.

Edited by typhoon_tip (Fri Oct 21 2005 12:11 AM)

komi
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
      #60495 - Fri Oct 21 2005 12:26 AM

Daniel, you are right ...

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/archdat/tropi...b-191N-858W.jpg

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Loc: Oklahoma
buoy 42056 [Re: typhoon_tip]
      #60496 - Fri Oct 21 2005 12:27 AM

Buoy 42056 is still reporting 1-minute sustained winds to hurricane force, and also reported wave heights of 35.4 feet last hour, which is the highest so far.

danielwAdministrator

Satellites [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #60497 - Fri Oct 21 2005 12:38 AM

I don't know much about Dvorak Images.

Wilma's Eye temperature is still rising.
Up 2.9degrees between 0315 and 0345Z.
At it's highest temp today.

I can't compare it to her earlier states. As her Eye was too small then.
I did compare the Eye Region temp to Katrina's profile though.
When Katrina's EYE REGION temp. started increasing...her pressure dropped out.

I checked Rita's EYE temps against her pressure and there appears to be Some correlation.

Recon is due for a Center Fix in about 20 minutes.

danielwAdministrator

Re: buoy 42056 [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #60498 - Fri Oct 21 2005 12:41 AM

Quote:

Buoy 42056 is still reporting 1-minute sustained winds to hurricane force, and also reported wave heights of 35.4 feet last hour, which is the highest so far.

I remember seeing a recent report on the wave heights reported by the bouys.
The max wave height isn't measured but can be approximated by multiplying the listed wave height by 1.9. I'll try to find that link.

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

#60499 - Fri Oct 21 2005 12:42 AM

This might help for those of you who are interesting:
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/dvorak.html

FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Loc: Tampa(Riverview), Florida
Re: Satellites [Re: typhoon_tip]
      #60500 - Fri Oct 21 2005 12:51 AM

hey there could you have possibly meant those that are "interested"...lol....anyways...we arent under any evacuations yet but i made reservations at the only hotel left....ahhhh....not what i would prefer but good enough not to go to a shelter....good luck to anyone looking for one in the tampa/brandon area....

--------------------
"Haven't thought of a witty one lately"

danielwAdministrator

Vortex [Re: typhoon_tip]
      #60501 - Fri Oct 21 2005 12:51 AM

Max Flight level wind so far is 116kts at 0447Z.

Now up to 128 kts at flight level-0456Z

Edited by danielw (Fri Oct 21 2005 01:04 AM)

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Vortex [Re: danielw]
      #60503 - Fri Oct 21 2005 12:57 AM

Max Mayfield said tonight that likely will hit as CAT 1 or CAT 2..

Good news.

That could change though, depending on how long is stays over the peninsula.

That would depend on where you and your home were in relation to the Cat 1 or 2 landfall...~danielw

Edited by danielw (Fri Oct 21 2005 01:07 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 219 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 55004

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center