F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)
pincty
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: meto]
      #60306 - Thu Oct 20 2005 09:59 PM

I just looked at the last few frames and it appears to be tracking NW. I have usually enjoyed listening to his hurricane coverage. For this storm I have been listening to Jerve or Fletcher.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gavsie
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Seminole Fl
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: Ronn]
      #60307 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:04 PM

I agree, yesterday he was saying it may not even be an event for us. However, I watch channel 10 or 8 for my weather. I do like to watch Don Germaise(if that's how you spell it). He humors me.

rmcinorlando
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: pincty]
      #60308 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:04 PM

This storm has me totally frustrated!!! So, until tomorrow morning, I'm out!

JMII
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Margate, Florida
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: komi]
      #60309 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:07 PM

I'm in FTL and watched them all... you can never have enough information. I use every resource I can find: this site, weatherunderground and boatsus has good maps too. Bryan seems to have the best "lay of the land" type info, he knows the area and even the street names. This becomes important once the 'cane is within radar range. They can tell you when a bad cell or band is pushing thru and can even calculate how long it will be around.

A Cat 1 or boarderline 2 coming over the house I can deal with (hopefully, house built in '93 - post Andrew, all CBS)... but is this talk of Cat 3 level that worries me.

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced many tropical systems, put up the panels for:
David 79 - Floyd 87 - Andrew 92 - Georges 98 - Frances 04 - Wilma 05 - Matthew 16 - Irma 17
Lost our St James City rental property to Ian 22

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: MikeC]
      #60310 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:10 PM

Having just gone through this with Rita my advice is have a PLAN in place as soon as your area is in the cone. Just know where
you will go, have the car gassed up, and all of your supplies ready. I knew Rita would impact Texas from early on
(thanks to HankFrank) although I thought it would be
around Galveston. On Wednesday it was Matagorda Bay but by 1:00 in the morning on Thursday it was Galveston. On Thursday
morning it was Crystal Beach and a mandatory evacuation was ordered (we were already
under a voluntary evacuation from Wednesday). By Thursday evening they were saying Port Arthur/Beaumont
and then on Friday the TX/La border ( we are not that far from the border). The storm came in east of Sabine Pass, TX in Creole, LA.
Rita's eyewall battered Beaumont. So, I guess my point is have your PLAN way ahead of time and you can always cancel
reservations,etc. if the storm goes somewhere else.

evergladesangler
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #60311 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:15 PM

The last few updates of the Cancun radar seem to be showing a more westerly movement than the last several hours. Perhaps this is bearing the GFS and NOGAPS models out. After all, those were very short term forecasts and shouldn't have as much error.

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: native]
      #60312 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:17 PM

When Katrina was supposed to hit the Florida panhandle I asked if she could make it as far as Lousiana. At the time
the high sitting over us extended just a little into Louisiana. I don't think anyone answered my question but I tell you I was
worried about Louisiana. Well, Katrina mad her second landfall in LA. I think the NHC has a good handle on the forecast of Wilma
but sometimes strange things happen. My Mom always told me the hurricanes have a mind of their own.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: JMII]
      #60313 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:17 PM

Um...found a wrinkle. The 85ghz from the Navy site shows the eyewall thin or open to the SW, which was not the case earlier. Trying to figure this one out...she looks really good on all the sat images, even if convection has been down.

The water in her NE quad is much warmer than the other quads, but I don't think that's it.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #60314 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:18 PM

I agree you always have to plan. I got lucky as I was having my shutters redone on the house and I happen to have them all up for a check. I told them not to take them down (Tues). My wife is pissed, but that's life. We have lexan on the second floor and a roll down in the back so its not that bad.

It's hard to plan an evacuation becuase no one knows where the stom is going. Most of my friends are conveniently watching the leaves change in NY this weekend. Gov. Bush said to leave unles you're told to.

We always have tons of water in the house and my kids only eat pasta, so we're good. It's not the storm I worry about I hope), its no electric for a week after that bothers me.

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: evergladesangler]
      #60315 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:21 PM

I just got home from work and have been out of the loop. I am watching the local CBS met and he is talking a S Florida landfall. What is the experts opinion on the track moving a bit north to my area in Central Florida from Tampa (Mom lives in Plant City) and on to me (in Longwood, a northen burb of Orlando)?

crpeavley
Weather Watcher

Reged:
      #60316 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:23 PM

Does anyone know if the 18Z runs ingested any new data? Looking at the GFS coming out last couple of minutes, looks like a Tuesday player now.

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indianapolis
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: evergladesangler]
      #60317 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:27 PM

Do you have a link to that radar?

Thanks

jusforsean
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Broward County
      #60318 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:28 PM

I miss Bill Kamal too::: But after his history, I cant stand the thought of him, however I do have to say he was one hell of a weatherman!! Otherwise I usually watch channel 7 but not liking the new guy hes nice but too wishy washy so I am learning to trust Brian Norcross this hurricane season! Especially when we had a tornado spawn out over Broward heading tword my street in Davie ( I live in a mobile home) and thanks to him pin pointing the exact location and street I was able to get out of dodge!
Luck to all...........

evergladesangler
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: emackl]
      #60319 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:30 PM

Quote:

Do you have a link to that radar?

Thanks

http://flhurricane.com/imageanimator.php?12

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Israel
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: jusforsean]
      #60321 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:40 PM

Bill Kamal scared me, even when he was weatherman. And I personally thought he sucked.

Norcross, Noe, and Gerard are the way to go in South Florida.

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

D3m3NT3DVoRT3X
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: The Burg < FL
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: CaneTrackerInSoFl]
      #60322 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:43 PM

ok now that all have gotten on both knees and haild thier fav.. weather person ... back to our previous schedualed program .. what is the thought on the ridge in the gulf breaking down .. if that happens doesnt it push Wilma more north ?? last couple of shots from the goes seems like she is headin north with a hint of west ..

Fair Weather

Reged:
Loc: Longwood
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #60323 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:43 PM

Heard Glen Richards from WOFL on the radio (WFLA) this afternoon and he said that the 2 models that are starting to show a turn towards the north are leading him to believe that it might be a trend, and that overall, he watches the models not individually, but as a whole and when one changes, the others tend to follow. His feeling was that the storm could very well make landfall around the Sarasota area, and his opinion was that when the storm does finally move through, that it would move through very fast, with little chance for weakening. In the 16 years I have been in the Orlando area, I have observed that Glen seems to be the most consistant in his forcasts. He is really one of the best. I like his scary meter

evergladesangler
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: D3m3NT3DVoRT3X]
      #60324 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:46 PM

Local Met on WINK in Fort Myers seems to be buying into the stalling over Yucatan and dramatic weakening. He's also talking about a Tuesday landfall as well south of Everglades City.

hurricane expert
Really Not an Expert

Reged:
Loc: florida
      #60325 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:49 PM

The models are starting to shift up to the north know you got the A98E LBAR and the BAMD model tracking right through central florida. And my guess is that if the BAMD track right trough central florida than the other model the BAMM is going to do the same thing. Definiteley watching those model as the come in better agreement.

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: hurricane expert]
      #60326 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:50 PM

URL?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 55604

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center