F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Forecasts [Re: damejune2]
      #61085 - Fri Oct 21 2005 10:08 PM

Accuweather relies on Global models and private weather contractors as well. They would not be able to sell their product if they did not offer something different than the publicly funded NHC. But, the accuracy is always up to the mother nature.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
engicedave
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Tue
Loc:
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: MissBecky]
      #61086 - Fri Oct 21 2005 10:10 PM

and if you look at those models MissBecky pointed out, the midline is the same as the NHC forecast track

Seems silly to concentrate on any one model or line

tashina
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Tue
Loc: Austin, TX
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: Colleen A.]
      #61087 - Fri Oct 21 2005 10:12 PM

Was just listening to Chad on CNN. He was saying that the storm will weaken over land, strengthen over water. That part I understand. Then he said right now it's half-on, half-off. I'm not sure if he's talking about the eye or the whole hurricane. Just wondering, what is considered on land as far as weakening. Does the eye have to be onshore? If it's sitting like it is currently with the eye right offshore - say it does this for 24 hours. Is that a position that will cause it to strengthen or weaken?

Rasvar
Weather Master

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: bobbutts]
      #61088 - Fri Oct 21 2005 10:13 PM

Could very welll be the GFDL overplaying the reintensification. It has been known to spin things up too quickly. However, if mos t of the inner core remains intact, I am not going to rule out that such a reintensification is possible. Just unlikely that it gets up that much, IMHO.

--------------------
Jim

satellite steve
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Satellite Bch FL
Re: Forecasts [Re: damejune2]
      #61090 - Fri Oct 21 2005 10:14 PM

J Bastardi likes to be a maverick in some ways --- but don't discount his opinion. HE likes to be aggressive and make a forecast before everyone else --- sometimes they are seemingly prescient and sometimes way off --remember back to Nate earlier this year.

One way to think about it is that NHC reviews multiple computer models, the most recent data from observations and tries to pull out the best consensus -- when the models make a big jump they usually split the difference between the new data and their last forecast.

If Accuweather sees a jump, the next forecast goes with the jump --all the way.

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged: Thu
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: tashina]
      #61092 - Fri Oct 21 2005 10:15 PM

It will still weaken as much of the circulation (the western side) will be over land. Physics - friction.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

bobbutts
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Mon
Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Looks like a stall [Re: bobbutts]
      #61093 - Fri Oct 21 2005 10:16 PM

Quote:

If you ask me it's slim to none this thing is going into the Yucatan.. back to preparing for (another) direct hit from a major 'cane here in Port Charlotte

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/GOES/FLT/T2/AVN_loop.html

Sure looks like the center of the eye is just about on land only 1 hr 40 minutes later. remind me never to make forecasts

Rdietch
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
      #61095 - Fri Oct 21 2005 10:17 PM

Well the GDFL has never been real good with Str of the system.To me the GDFL looks like it has it going to FT Myers is that correct? looks like it to me.

dolfinatic
Weather Guru

Loc: St. Petersburg, Fl
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: MichaelA]
      #61097 - Fri Oct 21 2005 10:18 PM

It looks to be elongating . Is this from shearing or interaction with land?

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Torrington, CT
      #61098 - Fri Oct 21 2005 10:19 PM

***ALL MANATEE COUNTY RESIDENTS***

Tune to Channel 20...they have local information for Manatee County on there inlcuding info about incorrect evac maps printed in todays Bradenton Herald. Channel 20......all the info you need for Manatee County.

Mods can delete this if they choose, but please allow for a little while so others can see. Thank You!

--------------------
Gloria 1985 (Eye passed over my house in...get this...northwestern CT!)

komi
Weather Watcher

#61099 - Fri Oct 21 2005 10:19 PM

Well, i think all computer models will give us more acurate models after Wima get offsore ... Until now, and for now, is all just prediction after some what not going to happen - Yucatan landfall ...

This mean, we have to wait until tomorrow ...

satellite steve
Weather Hobbyist

#61100 - Fri Oct 21 2005 10:22 PM

Not so much friction in low lying areas like the Yucatan - More the loss of ability to extract energy from water. It is the heat from the warm ocean water evaporating that gets released when the water rises in the exceptionally high cloud tops of a warm core storm that drives the engine. If a big chunk of the circulation sucking in the warm wet air is over land it is cutting off that fraction of its fuel.

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Loc: Torrington, CT
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: MissBecky]
      #61103 - Fri Oct 21 2005 10:23 PM

MISS BECKY - I checked frame 4 on spaghetti models and as of 1800 UTC on the 21st, today, the only model significantly north is LBAR. The others are still at Ft. Myers or Southward....Could it be they are further north than previous when they were extreme south fla, like Naples and southward? Perhaps the shift north is from that point to Ft. Myers. I could be wrong. Please correct me!!!!

--------------------
Gloria 1985 (Eye passed over my house in...get this...northwestern CT!)

sara33
Weather Guru

Loc: St. Pete,
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: komi]
      #61106 - Fri Oct 21 2005 10:26 PM

Let me know if these are the steering currents for this storm.
http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-time/atlantic/winds/wg8dlm1.html
I am NO GOOD at posting links so if it does not come up, someone please give me instructions on how to do this.
Looks like the storm is practically squeezed between 2 pressure systems which will allow it to move in a more North direction... I am sooo untrained, please correct me if I am wrong:)
Christine,
St. Pete :shocked

bobbutts
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Mon
Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: satellite steve]
      #61108 - Fri Oct 21 2005 10:27 PM

11 appears to be out at wunderground already
http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200524.html

satellite steve
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: Rdietch]
      #61109 - Fri Oct 21 2005 10:28 PM

Also take a look at the core of winds the GFDL predicts -- all basically S of the center for the destructive winds on the present run

My only point is that it is not necessarily where the center hits that is the worst of the storm -- when travelling ENE and moving forward fairly rapidly -- as Wilma is predicted to be at Fl landfall-- the worst of the storm will be SE eyewall.

MissBecky
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: Ft. Myers, FL
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: damejune2]
      #61110 - Fri Oct 21 2005 10:29 PM

Quote:

MISS BECKY - I checked frame 4 on spaghetti models and as of 1800 UTC on the 21st, today, the only model significantly north is LBAR. The others are still at Ft. Myers or Southward....Could it be they are further north than previous when they were extreme south fla, like Naples and southward? Perhaps the shift north is from that point to Ft. Myers. I could be wrong. Please correct me!!!!

Yes, that is exactly what I have seen. Since I live in Ft. Myers, I have been watching closely over the past few days to see how close the overall guidance has come to my location. For the past two days most of the models were pointing southward, to Naples and Collier County. Beginning today I began to see more of a trend to move northward. But that is just my interpretation of what I'm seeing...standard disclaimer applies, I am not a met.

willw
Weather Watcher

#61113 - Fri Oct 21 2005 10:32 PM

Quote:

11 appears to be out at wunderground already
http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200524.html

oddly even though the computer models and the last track was above where it was before... they have it below look at where it crosses below lake o..... i don't get their forcasting i don't. heh everything is going north and they go south more? confusing

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: sara33]
      #61114 - Fri Oct 21 2005 10:33 PM

Quote:

Let me know if these are the steering currents for this storm.
http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-time/atlantic/winds/wg8dlm1.html
Looks like the storm is practically squeezed between 2 pressure systems which will allow it to move in a more North direction... I am sooo untrained, please correct me if I am wrong:)
Christine,

Use this for Wilma...deeper central pressure.

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-time/atlantic/winds/wg8dlm6.html

satellite steve
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: sara33]
      #61115 - Fri Oct 21 2005 10:33 PM

For large storms like Wilma steering is mostly the upper atmospheric winds -- The storm itself commandeers the lower surface levels -- which makes it bad for us who have to live on the surface.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 554 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 59501

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center