F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
g1bass

Reged:
Loc: Homosassa
Re: After Wilma has departed *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: MissBecky]
      #61336 - Sat Oct 22 2005 01:51 PM

This post was sent to the Hurricane Graveyard

--------------------
Storm junkie for 4 yrs

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: TD 25 is born [Re: craigm]
      #61337 - Sat Oct 22 2005 01:52 PM

Quote:

I agree with you Hugh, I really expected her to get knocked down more. Especially the length of time the eye has been inland. Could be due to the flat topography and the fact that 4/5 ths of the storm is still over warm water.

And that brings up another disturbing possibility... One of the earlier hurricanes this season - Dennis I think - went over the Yucatan as a T.D. The COC then REFORMED to the north of the Yucatan... and ultimately moved almost due north. With Wilma's cold cloud tops returning over the GOM, we could see her COC reform, which would throw a monkey into the equation.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Tropical Depression 25 Forms While Prolonged Hurricane Force Winds Affect Cancun [Re: MikeC]
      #61338 - Sat Oct 22 2005 01:53 PM

We had 90 mph sustained winds during Rita. Wind damage was extensive. Probably lots of mini tornadoes also.

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indianapolis
Re: After Wilma has departed [Re: g1bass]
      #61339 - Sat Oct 22 2005 01:54 PM

Colleen, you will be pleased to know we are not nuts..LOL! Steve Lyons was just on and what we were looking at was the center. It is sitting still now and is supposed to drift off the north coast later today.

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Question to the Mets and all-Are we not looking at a possible massive tornado event? [Re: Colleen A.]
      #61340 - Sat Oct 22 2005 01:54 PM

I know about the eyes. All day at work and all night on the computer at home. I was just pointing out what every one else said before I could get it cut and pasted, that the storm center appears to be about to leave the land. I also noticed the intensity starting to build as evidenced by the thicker clouds to the north. The Water Vapor loop outlines the various loops and swirls that might or might not be strong enough to push the entire storm and I also noticed the SE to NE slant, towards the Bay Area and Northward. I know all the criteria regarding the 2 dimensional picture versus the reality but after you have followed a few storms you begin to get an ability to make brain/visual allowances for 4 dimensional events squashed into 2 dimensional pictures. The overall picture looks dangerous and I will continue to harp on the deceptive quality of the intensity models (numbers vs reality) People tune out things when they are tired, or looking forward to fun, or are caught up in personal stuff. Everyone please be aware, that this storm is going to fool people from coast to coast. It will be intense in places unexpected, and a piece of fluff where people were biting their nails. (Katrina and Rita are not good storms to compare this with nor are the three Central Florida had last year). This is going to feel and act like a cold front where one minute we will be out and about and the next minute wondering what hit us. I remember noname quite well. I did not know it was coming.I learned about the system at church, shrugged it off and went to bed... Was waken by family telling me to get up and get street clothes on and I did not have time to do it and there was no place to go. IT was terrifying. No prep no time for mental preparation that we get when we see winds gradually building.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Southern4sure
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Land O Lakes, FL
Re: Question to the Mets and all-Are we not looking at a possible massive tornado event? [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #61342 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:01 PM

I keep seeing "no name storm" popping up. Can someone please tell me about this or give me a link to read about it? It sounds really scary.

Joshua
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Re: Question to the Mets and all-Are we not looking at a possible massive tornado event? [Re: Southern4sure]
      #61343 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:08 PM

http://tampa.about.com/library/weekly/aanoname.htm

All about the 1993 No-Name storm

Southern4sure
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Land O Lakes, FL
Re: Question to the Mets and all-Are we not looking at a possible massive tornado event? *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: Joshua]
      #61345 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:13 PM

This post was sent to the Hurricane Graveyard

abyrd
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: apopka
Re: Question to the Mets and all-Are we not looking at a possible massive tornado event? [Re: Southern4sure]
      #61346 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:16 PM

No-Name storms are the first mention of a tropical depression. Until the 11 a.m. report where it will be classified at TDtwenty-something (I lost count), it will be refered to as no-name. The no-name will disappear in 30 minutes.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Question to the Mets and all-Are we not looking at a possible massive tornado event? [Re: abyrd]
      #61348 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:21 PM

Quote:

No-Name storms are the first mention of a tropical depression. Until the 11 a.m. report where it will be classified at TDtwenty-something (I lost count), it will be refered to as no-name. The no-name will disappear in 30 minutes.

Actually, on NRL, it will remain identified as "25.NONAME" until it is upgraded to "ALPHA". The NHC will refer to it as TD 25 beginning at 11am, but the NRL site uses "NONAME" to refer to any T.D.

On a somewhat related topic... I had a weird thought while eatting my Fruit Loops... (which may be the cause of the weird thought )... Looking at the computer models for TD 25, and the computer models for Wilma... the two systems could ultimately run into each other, literally, in the mid-Atlantic.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Edited by Hugh (Sat Oct 22 2005 02:25 PM)

Big Tk
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Tampa FL
Re: Question to the Mets and all-Are we not looking at a possible massive tornado event? [Re: Joshua]
      #61350 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:24 PM

It looks like she's reforming at the northeastern tip of the yucatan. I do not like what i'm seeing.

KornR

Reged:
Loc: High Springs, Fl.
Re: Question to the Mets and all-Are we not looking at a possible massive tornado event? [Re: Hugh]
      #61353 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:26 PM

I have been watching all these threads with great fervor. I love this website. Kudos to the creators.

What I am most concerned about, as are most people in Florida, is where exactly Wilma will hit. I live north of Gainesville, and already today has been a soaking wet day. Looking at the radar, this is an extreme offshoot of the Wilma system. But I am also concerned about things picking up here in the next few days, and under what kind of threat I might be.

I have family in Sarasota who are absolutely puckered over this storm.

I know it's THE BIG QUESTION, but what will Wilma do after she passes the Yucatan?

--------------------
"Honey, was that the cat that just flew past the window?"

TampaSu

Reged:
Loc: Tampa, FL
      #61354 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:26 PM

Quote:

I keep seeing "no name storm" popping up. Can someone please tell me about this or give me a link to read about it? It sounds really scary.

I think this reference was to the storm discussed in the link provided - the March 1993 storm that hit Florida.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Question to the Mets and all-Are we not looking at a possible massive tornado event? [Re: Big Tk]
      #61355 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:28 PM

Quote:

It looks like she's reforming at the northeastern tip of the yucatan. I do not like what i'm seeing.

You and every other resident of the state of Florida, I imagine. It will be VERY interesting to see what the NHC says about the intensity and track in the 11am discussion... and what the first recon flight in the GOM finds. With the last storm that crossed land like this and headed into the GOM... there was a plane literally waiting for it.. will that be the case with Wilma, I wonder?

--------------------
Hugh

Kimster
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Dunedin, FL
Re: Question to the Mets and all-Are we not looking at a possible massive tornado event? [Re: TampaSu]
      #61357 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:31 PM

Ah, the noname storm of 93'. I was living just north of Clearwater at that time. I will never forget going to bed on a Friday evening with no idea a storm was coming. Around 5:30am I was awakened by a constant banging sound coming from my living room. Awoke to find our boat banging against our sliding door windows in the living room and about 6 inches of water in the house. We were instructed by FEMA to write across the top of the claim form, "No-name Storm - March, 1993". I somewhat remember having to do the same with IRS. My "addiction" to Hurricane season and all that is involved in same was born as a direct result of this storm.

FireAng85
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Mount Dora, FL 32757
I remember No Name of 1993 [Re: Southern4sure]
      #61358 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:31 PM

Boy do I!!! My husband and I lived in Sorrento, FL at the time, just outside of Mt. Dora. Mt Dora had 5 tornadoes touch down. I knew it was coming but had no idea how bad it was going to be. Besides Hurricane Charley, that was the single most terrifying night of my life. I was just a volunteer firefighter back then and I lived in a trailer. When it was happening, we were so scared in that trailer, we scooped up my 2 very small kids, put them in our truck and tried to make it to the fire station because it was a steel building. We had a hard time just getting there because of the downed trees and power lines. Thank God I had a really big 4x4 then. We started running calls as soon as I got to the station and I ended up using my personal vehicle to get victims out of places that fire trucks and ambulances couldn't go. I have friends that lost their newborn son in that storm and the father has severe brain damage. God help us if it's going to be like that again.........

--------------------
Angie Robertson
OCFRD
"So others may live"

Big Tk
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Tampa FL
Re: Question to the Mets and all-Are we not looking at a possible massive tornado event? [Re: Hugh]
      #61359 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:34 PM

I doubt the TPC makes any changes to the track At 11:00 am. the models would have to shift dramatically to the north for that to occur

Edited by Big Tk (Sat Oct 22 2005 02:42 PM)

nl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: nsb,fl
Re: Question to the Mets and all-Are we not looking at a possible massive tornado event? [Re: Big Tk]
      #61361 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:40 PM

where do we see its reforming? on what radar or sat.? ive kept my mouth shut all week about Wilma. i dont have a good feeling bout her. im gonna laugh when she proves all these local medias wrong. me and my friend at work last yr in daytona was the only one that was right bout charlie last yr. people called us crazy and other names. so i went through alot calling these storms. this yr i was right about all of them. but honestly i dont know bout this one. people was coming up to at work asking me about her and i told them i dont know. and they were like whoah! if he doesnt know the we are screwed. i told them not to watch the local news. just goto this site. its the best we got. so if im wrong it wont hurt.

Edited by nl (Sat Oct 22 2005 02:47 PM)

typhoondave

Reged:
Loc: California
      #61363 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:42 PM

I've been visiting this site for two seasons now. Making my first post. The information I have picked up here is awesome in its scope, from extremely technical all the way down to practical information for amateurs and hobbiests. Kudos to all who moderate and comment on this site. The NHC is still the final word for Tropical Systems but this is the best additional source of info I have found.
I was living in Spring Hill,Fl. just off of US 19 during the No Name Storm of 93. We experienced winds up to 90 MPH and had a huge oak tree snap in our front yard. If you are in the cone for Wilma please take it seriously. It does not take a direct hit to receive damaging winds. Pay attention to the watches and warnings that will be posted today or tommorow and prepare accordingly. I still have family in Weeki Wachee and my thoughts are with them and all Floridians who may be affected by this storm. God Bless.

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Hurricane Watch for Keys [Re: nl]
      #61365 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:47 PM

at 11 am EDT...1500z...a Hurricane Watch has been issued for all of
the Florida Keys...including the Dry Tortugas and Florida Bay.
A Hurricane Watch means that hurricane conditions are possible
within the watch area...generally within 36 hours.

A Hurricane Watch will likely be required for portions of the
Florida Peninsula this afternoon. All interests in the Florida
Peninsula should closely monitor the progress of Hurricane Wilma.

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 66 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 63369

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center