F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
willw
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Watch for Keys [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #61368 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:49 PM

north at 2mph 115mph winds. no track change....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TampaSu

Reged:
Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: Question to the Mets and all-Are we not looking at a possible massive tornado event? [Re: TampaSu]
      #61369 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:50 PM

Thought I'd introduce myself - now that I've posted.

I have been lurking here since Wilma started. This site has been a great find - I wish I would have found it last year! You all are doing a great job keeping me informed. I do first and foremost follow the NHC, but I like to hear the little details, and the "speculation". I follow Denis Phillips (my local met) but The Weather Channel has officially lost me this time around. It angers me that they have taken Tampa out of the cone (and I've been reading the discussion about this on this board). I think removing the Tampa area out of their cone is putting a largly popluated area at risk because a lot of people follow the weather channel, and ONLY the weather channel. These people may get caught off guard this time!

Thanks for all the great posts, and like all the others here in the Tampa area, I'll continue to "sit and wait" until if/when the time comes to implement our plan.

Volusia Pam - in Port Orange... Hi to you - your area is of interest to me as well because that's where my family will go should we need to leave Tampa. Our house has no interior rooms or closets, and lots of glass. My parents' home in Spruce Creek has a "safe room".

I'm also particularly interested in the discussion regarding the spawn of many tornados. Tornados scare me - my Aunt was killed by a tornado.

Thanks again for all the great posts!

Suzanne

3rdGenFlaNative

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, FL
Re: Question to the Mets and all-Are we not looking at a possible massive tornado event? [Re: Southern4sure]
      #61370 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:55 PM

I must admit, this is the first time in several days that I have that familiar knot in my stomach that appears when conditions begin to point to a serious threat of danger to my area. I knew that the local mets discussing the hurricane colliding with a cold front sounded bizare, but I didn't associate it with No Name '93. Now I am beginning to become very alarmed, and wonder why local media isn't voicing more concern about the possibilities.

Agreeing with previous posters, I consider this site invaluable. If it weren't for the info I've recieved here, and were I relying solely on local mets (which most people I know do), I would relax, cease most preparations that were inconvenient, and go on with my weekend. I sincerely hope that a storm event such as No Name '93 doesn't materialize, because if it does...well let's just hope it doesn't.

--------------------
28.0 N 81.9 W
Inland Tropical Storm Warning
Tornado Watch

Began my entrance into this world during Hurricane Dora, 1964 - Have since experienced effects from: David ('79) - Irene ('99) - Charley, Frances, and Jeanne ('04)

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Hurricane Watch for Keys [Re: willw]
      #61372 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:59 PM

Good morning all. Well this is just horrific. Just up (after this week, I needed a night to catch up on sleep!) and just quickly looked at the wv loop. At almost 10am, the center is still rotating just inland between Cozumel and Cancun, with those places still taking a huge hit from the winds and water...plus this track must have been the worst possible track for Cancun and for the lagoon hotel area as far as flooding. There must be rain records being set as well. I am afraid that most of Cozumel must be under some feet of water.

I had posted to someone at Cozumel yesterday morning that they would be taking eyewall winds until just past midnight and could probably go outside by noon today but that is wrong...they'll be getting hit the rest of the day. It's just horrible and I don't even have words to say how devastated that area is, but for certain they won't have any tourist season this year. This devastation will easily be on a par with Katrina's, for both scale and intensity. This just after Stan dumped so much rain in Central America. Truly that area has been hit this year as hard as the US.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

StPeteBill
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Pinellas County
Re: Prolonged Hurricane Force Winds Now Affecting Cancun [Re: funky]
      #61373 - Sat Oct 22 2005 03:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well here in St Pete I am only planning on brining in the hanging plants, everything else stays where it is. I honestly do not think the winds are going to be that bad here.

down here in 34202 (bradenton/sarasota) and thinking the same thing... i have a large gas grill out on the lanai with the pool equipment and about 12 plants in clay pots. i know the plants will need to come in, but dont' know about the grill. might do it just to be safe. if this thing shifts just slightly north (and it looks like it could since the storm is ahead of schedule into the GOM) we could have cat 1 or 2 winds, which would suck big time.

Well funky, I just got through lugging everything in at the expense of my neighbors laughter. But I suppose I would rather be laughed at them today than to possibly crying with them later. Maybe it was premature but what the heck I can always haul it all back out.

engicedave
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Question to the Mets and all-Are we not looking at a possible massive tornado event? [Re: 3rdGenFlaNative]
      #61376 - Sat Oct 22 2005 03:03 PM

since we seem to be taking a moment to stroke flhurricane.com and those who run and participate on it, I too want to thank you.

While I trust and follow the tracking/guidence/wisdom of the NHC without fail, because they've given me no reason to do otherwise, it is nice to see and read some of the technicalities involved in forecasting a storm.

I guess I'm a geek

There are some folks on here who seem a bit off base or just flat out over-the-top, but the majority seems reasonable and balanced.

Thank you for your forum, and if there is a place to make some sort of financial donation to off-set the costs of operation (hosting/bandwidth/etc...), please let me know and I would be happy to contribute.

All this waiting is making me nuts, but this site has made good time fill as well as filling the blah, blah, blah information you get on TV.

Thanks again

nandav
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Pt. Charlotte, FL
Re: Question to the Mets and all-Are we not looking at a possible massive tornado event? [Re: engicedave]
      #61378 - Sat Oct 22 2005 03:05 PM

On the left side, there is a link that says "Site donations and thanks" .. not a bad reminder to all of us!!

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: Question to the Mets and all-Are we not looking at a possible massive tornado event? [Re: engicedave]
      #61379 - Sat Oct 22 2005 03:05 PM

Look to the left of the screen to make Financial Donations to the Site.

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Local WPB Met. [Re: 3rdGenFlaNative]
      #61380 - Sat Oct 22 2005 03:06 PM

Area Weather Discussion on Hurricane Wilma
Palm Beach County Central/South Florida

Use this for supplemental Information along with the official forecast.

Broad trough with vortex low over Great Lakes will drag along Wilma. Mid to upper boundary across Vero Beach to Ft Myers...a cold front racing toward Central South Florida for Monday.

The latest on Wilma basing on the steering winds from continental Models of the ETA and NGM and analysis. Wilma now caught into a blocking wall type effect from the upper westerlies now beginning to pick it up. The motion to the Eastnortheast looks to begin later this afternoon and begin to accererate steadily Sunday and Monday. It looks like drawing a 060 degree line and also considering a mid to upper boudary or front aloft basing on the dewpoint analysis Wilma looks to go across a little farther south of the official forecast. The upper frontal boundary is located across Vero Beach to Ft Myers and usually these tropical systems especially this time of year move somewhat ahead of these boundaries. In any case shearing and the land mass effect has Wilma as a weakened system however once over water it will remain a rather punchy tropical system Cat 1 type storm for us is not to be taken lightly especially since you add the factor of the faster motion plus wind field these wind vectors and speeds are added to the overall effects of the wind damage and squally winds. In any case Monday around 1pm or so the tropical storms winds of 40 mph based on hurrivac program coming ino our area...and the strongest winds with possible squall gusts to 60-80 mph Monday starting 6pm for about 3-6 hrs then tapering off early Tuesday am. ..wind direction will be onshore...

Basically, Wilma will be more or less dragged along with broad trough to the north much like Freddy Flinstone dragging Wilma by her hair along the way on the ground not where you have the trough open up and it lifts northeast along the way but just dragged along.

Wilma will move off the extreme Southeast Florida coast Monday night and well offshore Tuesday am. cooler drier air moving into the area Tuesday night and continue into mid week with temps low mid 80's during daytime and lo 60's at nite Tuesday and Wednesday.

One last thing if Wilma accelerates a little faster and little earlier then you would adjust times of wind events a little sooner by 6 hrs or so..This would mean watches would be up by early this evening probably by the 5pm advisory...as a window of safety and margin..in case of earlier acceleration.

Right now I still favor southern most clustered tracks models..Naples to Broward-Palm Beach County Line...or more southward..

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

collegemom
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Central Arkansas
      #61381 - Sat Oct 22 2005 03:07 PM

Quote:

since we seem to be taking a moment to stroke flhurricane.com and those who run and participate on it, I too want to thank you.

While I trust and follow the tracking/guidence/wisdom of the NHC without fail, because they've given me no reason to do otherwise, it is nice to see and read some of the technicalities involved in forecasting a storm.

I guess I'm a geek

There are some folks on here who seem a bit off base or just flat out over-the-top, but the majority seems reasonable and balanced.

Thank you for your forum, and if there is a place to make some sort of financial donation to off-set the costs of operation (hosting/bandwidth/etc...), please let me know and I would be happy to contribute.

All this waiting is making me nuts, but this site has made good time fill as well as filling the blah, blah, blah information you get on TV.

Thanks again

on the main page left side under communication

--------------------
character has been defined as what we do when no one is looking

funky
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Prolonged Hurricane Force Winds Now Affecting Cancun [Re: StPeteBill]
      #61383 - Sat Oct 22 2005 03:11 PM

same here! my neighbors this morning looked at me like "uh, ok". its still nice out, and all i have to do is bring the plants in when it gets barney.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well here in St Pete I am only planning on brining in the hanging plants, everything else stays where it is. I honestly do not think the winds are going to be that bad here.

down here in 34202 (bradenton/sarasota) and thinking the same thing... i have a large gas grill out on the lanai with the pool equipment and about 12 plants in clay pots. i know the plants will need to come in, but dont' know about the grill. might do it just to be safe. if this thing shifts just slightly north (and it looks like it could since the storm is ahead of schedule into the GOM) we could have cat 1 or 2 winds, which would suck big time.

Well funky, I just got through lugging everything in at the expense of my neighbors laughter. But I suppose I would rather be laughed at them today than to possibly crying with them later. Maybe it was premature but what the heck I can always haul it all back out.

--------------------
WE WILL FIX YOU N.O. --- http://media.putfile.com/KATRINA25

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Prolonged Hurricane Force Winds Now Affecting Cancun [Re: evergladesangler]
      #61384 - Sat Oct 22 2005 03:12 PM

I'm not sure that is the CoC...if you click on that radar again, click on the "forecast points" and I think that will give you an idea of where the CoC is...looks like it is just north of Cancun.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Re: Prolonged Hurricane Force Winds Now Affecting Cancun [Re: Colleen A.]
      #61385 - Sat Oct 22 2005 03:15 PM

The dreaded TS/Hurcn icon has appeared in Lake County's forecast for monday

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/forecasts/FLZ044.php?zo=1&city=Northern+Lake+County

Does anyone have any idea about how much of an expansion we could see in Wilma's wind feild.

--------------------
"Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get"
- Robert A. Heinlein

StPeteBill
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Pinellas County
Re: Prolonged Hurricane Force Winds Now Affecting Cancun [Re: Colleen A.]
      #61386 - Sat Oct 22 2005 03:17 PM

What's the take that the Weather Channel is still reporting the storm to be stalled overland and there are no model changes? I am new to all of this and got all hyped up reading the post earlier but am not hearing any of this from the local mets or as I said the WC.

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indianapolis
      #61387 - Sat Oct 22 2005 03:20 PM

It is stalled. Just a slight drift north. It's just SW of Cancun! :

AT 10 AM CDT...1500Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE Wilma WAS LOCATED
NEAR LATITUDE 21.3 NORTH... LONGITUDE 87.0 WEST... JUST SOUTHWEST
OF CANCUN MEXICO... OR ABOUT 400 MILES... 645 KM... SOUTHWEST OF
KEY WEST FLORIDA

That was the 11:00 am eastern time public advis.

weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Parrish florida
      #61388 - Sat Oct 22 2005 03:20 PM

Are you all expecting a shift to the north? I thought the general consensus here was that it will be a weak 1 hurricane in South Florida?

nicolew
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Port St. Lucie, FL
NHC 11 am Discussion [Re: Jamiewx]
      #61389 - Sat Oct 22 2005 03:22 PM

In the 11 am discussion, the NHC says that there is disparity among the models as to the speed of the hurricane. I am new to this and know to look at the spaghetti websites but they don't give an idea as to speed and time. Can someone with more knowledge let me know how to find this info out or tell me what kind of disparity we are talking about here? What is the soonest the models say it could hit FL? What is the latest? Thanks for the help!

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
      #61392 - Sat Oct 22 2005 03:31 PM

Wilma is overland and drifting, and the models have not changed dramatically. So far the NHC forecast has been pretty much on track. One thing about this site is that you will get a wide range of opinions, some based on fact, some just pulled out of the air, and everthing in between.

Bill

willw
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: NHC 11 am Discussion [Re: nicolew]
      #61393 - Sat Oct 22 2005 03:32 PM

last night was a shift to the north. today back to where they've said. Ft.myers/naples area . If you live north of that you should be fine unless something unexpected happens.

efaulkSWFLA
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Fort Myers, Florida
Re: Prolonged Hurricane Force Winds Now Affecting Cancun [Re: BillD]
      #61394 - Sat Oct 22 2005 03:32 PM

Quote:

Wilma is overland and drifting, and the models have not changed dramatically. So far the NHC forecast has been pretty much on track. One thing about this site is that you will get a wide range of opinions, some based on fact, some just pulled out of the air, and everthing in between.

Bill

And.. that is what makes everyone come back to read.. This site is been great

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 104 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 63298

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center