F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)
Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #61830 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:17 AM

With all the concentration on Florida, let me draw you toward something else the GFDL series of models has been consistently showing over the last several runs: a left hook into New England toward the middle of the week. Landfall for Wilma could be anywhere between Conneticut and Newfoundland, with the time-average of the models concentrating on Maine. Additionally, the attached GFDL intensity guidence indicates that hurricane force winds, possible as high as Category 2, may effect parts of New England.

Now you may continue with your obsessive-compulsive "where is it going to hit in Florida" discussion
My trigger finger is getting itchy. But since this is discussion related? I'll leave it~danielw

Edited by danielw (Sun Oct 23 2005 02:27 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gailwarning
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Satellite Beach FL
Re: Tornado warning [Re: Tammster]
      #61831 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:19 AM

My parents are in a small mobile home in Zephyrhills, Pasco County, northeast of Tampa. Should I be urging them to get out of there at this point? I'm in Melbourne Beach area on east coast, but in a solid house. It doesn't sound like it's going to be any picnic for us here, but should my folks be on their way here tomorrow?

I'm worried--not sure what to do at this point.

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Israel
Re: Tornado warning [Re: gailwarning]
      #61832 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:20 AM

Might be a good idea to bring em over to Melbourne. Though, its now or never, and especially since they are in a mobile home, with the chance for hurricane force winds and tornadic activity in that area,

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida [Re: sara33]
      #61834 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:22 AM

Wilma is still moving VERY slowly. Any movement that occurs in the next several hours is not going to tell us anything about where it is going to make landfall.

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida [Re: Random Chaos]
      #61835 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:22 AM

Not to get to far off, I guess I am, Snow Advisory in upstate NY till Sunday

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

TinaB
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Tampa, FL
      #61836 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:23 AM

I'd tend to agree wtih CaneTracker on this one. Although it looks like this area (I'm in Tampa) won't suffer the worse effects of the storm, if I were in a mobile home I think I'd evacuate. I just don't trust them to stand up to the winds. My philosophy is it's always better to be safe than sorry.

satellite steve
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Satellite Bch FL
Re: Tornado warning [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #61837 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:23 AM

Hard to say that storms over Fl this PM are directly influenced by Wilma -- Several severe storms noted on Melb radar are generating various tornado warnings-- including N of Palm Beach and several approaching Orlando -- But looking at motion all are moving almost directly away from Wilma to NE -- Not Wrapping around as far outer bands would

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Israel
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #61838 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:23 AM

Latest satallite looks like Wilma is starting to develop some cold cloud tops again. The dry air that was so visible before is now almost completely covered by convection. Still, probably will take a little more time to work it out.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-ir4-loop.html

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida [Re: CaneTrackerInSoFl]
      #61839 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:26 AM

Saw the same thing.Covection it starting to flare up to the north.Worse fear is this thing gets alot stronger.

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Tornado warning [Re: satellite steve]
      #61840 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:27 AM

The storms may be loosely related to Wilma. The outflow jet from Wilma is probably enhancing the shear a little bit for those storms.

Big Tk
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Tampa FL
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida [Re: Rdietch]
      #61841 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:27 AM

The northern eye wall is really starting to fire up. Motion is real erratic at this point. It all depends how far the trough digs to the south. We will no by 5am ADV.

Edited by Big Tk (Sun Oct 23 2005 02:30 AM)

tashina
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Austin, TX
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida [Re: BTfromAZ]
      #61842 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:27 AM

Max on CNN says: eyewall large so changes will be slow.....no estimates of Cancun gusts yet...slow intensification possible over loop current back into major hurricane.....ERC could happen...he's amazed that the small eyewall is still intact.

harmlc.ath.cx
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Longwood
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida [Re: Random Chaos]
      #61843 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:30 AM

Anyone know a good link for the current water temperatures in the GOM?

Edit - here is a kewl place to view some: http://comps.marine.usf.edu/

Edited by RedingtonBeachGuy (Sun Oct 23 2005 02:38 AM)

Hurricane Fredrick 1979
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Mobile,Alabama
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida [Re: Big Tk]
      #61844 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:31 AM

Quote:

The northern eye wall is really starting to firer up. Motion is real erratic at this point. It all depends how far the trough digs to the south. We will no by 5am ADV.

I have a oddball question. What would happen IF the trough does not pick her up? I have seen where there has been at least one time so far that it didnt dip farther south to pick it up.

RedingtonBeachGuy

Reged:
Loc: St. Cloud, FL
      #61846 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:33 AM

gailwarning - always best to error on the side of caution. They are suggesting that Tampa will see 75 mph+ winds.

www.wfts.com/stories/2005/10/051022local.shtml

However, realize it may be more prudent for them to go to a local shelter than for you to run across the state on Sunday as the roads will become full with traffic - especially the I-4 corridor - and the rain is scheduled to start becoming harder and harder.

Of course, only you folks know what is best for your safety.

Take care!

Geoff
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Tampa, FL
      #61847 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:33 AM

The last advisory had the speed near 3 MPH; but if you look at the various loops and compare the time it takes for the eye width to travel over a fixed point it sure appears to me that she's moving faster than that now...

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
I think we may have a problem [Re: Hurricane Fredrick 1979]
      #61848 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:34 AM

The Northern Semicircle has Really intensified.
A large area of High Cloud Tops. (the White area)
Click on Wilma's center to zoom in.

http://weather.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseastconusir.html

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida [Re: harmlc.ath.cx]
      #61849 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:35 AM

SSTs? Sure:

NHC: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/tafb/atl_anal.gif
NRL (Navy) Main site: http://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/hhc/all_watl.html
NRL Today's 26C+ SSTs: http://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/hhc/watl/sst2.watl.20051022.gif
NRL Today's HHC (more useful than SST): http://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/hhc/watl/hh3.watl.20051022.gif
Raw SST data: http://marine.rutgers.edu/cool/sat_data/?product=sst&region=gulfmexico&nothumbs=0

Edited by Random Chaos (Sun Oct 23 2005 02:37 AM)

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida [Re: harmlc.ath.cx]
      #61850 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:38 AM

This is updated 2x Day

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/products/NCODA/US058VMET-GIFwxg.NCODA.glbl_sstanomaly.gif

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #61852 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:42 AM

Bay News 9 (Pinellas County) has just reported that all previous watches are now warnings.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 221 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 103643

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center