F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)
jeangfl
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Ft. Myers, FL
Re: NHC Press Conference [Re: Rasvar]
      #61689 - Sat Oct 22 2005 06:21 PM

I'm in Ft. Myers with reservations in Orlando for Sunday / Monday - does it look to anyone like we would be better off staying put? Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ILoveflorida

Reged: Sat
Re: Perspective [Re: Rdietch]
      #61690 - Sat Oct 22 2005 06:26 PM

Pulling up the official track on main page, It looks to my untrained eye as if Hurricane Wilma is riding the west side of the official track. Maybe due north. Is the map and track acurate or an estimate of position? And if so, what are feelings of track ajustment ?

Geoff
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: NHC Press Conference [Re: jeangfl]
      #61691 - Sat Oct 22 2005 06:28 PM

FYI, some friends of ours down in your area hedged their bets and got reservations in both Orlando and in Miami.

charlottefl
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Mon
Re: NHC Press Conference [Re: jeangfl]
      #61692 - Sat Oct 22 2005 06:31 PM

You need to look at your county's flood zone maps, if you live in a flood zone you don't have to leave your county just move to higher ground. Anything above 20 feet should be fine.

Rdietch
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Re: NHC Press Conference [Re: charlottefl]
      #61693 - Sat Oct 22 2005 06:36 PM

Looks to my untrained eyes everything weather wise with the storm is going NE and some dry air to the Southwest of it.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-ir4-loop.html

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged: Sun
Loc: Tampa
Re: Perspective [Re: ILoveflorida]
      #61694 - Sat Oct 22 2005 06:42 PM

It appears to me that the COC is right over the forecast point

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

chase 22
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: San Angelo, TX
Re: NHC Press Conference [Re: harmlc.ath.cx]
      #61695 - Sat Oct 22 2005 06:44 PM

Quote:

Also people, lets not forget that Wilma will be interacting with a cold front, which will increase the threat of tornados north of the actual landfall.

Actually the cold front will help stabilize the atmosphere North of Wilma thus creating a less friendly environment for tornados. I know it's strnge, but when is weather not strange...

As for Pinellas County...I would prepare for a hurricane, but expect tropical storm conditions with a few gust close to (if not at) hurricane strength. REMEMBER! Tampa is not out of the cone nor is Orlando. There is still a fair chance that Wilma could pull more Northward and that would change everything.

I have looked everywhere and cannot find out anything about Pinellas County Schools on Monday. Does anybody know whether school is open or not?

--------------------
Matt

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Perspective [Re: ILoveflorida]
      #61696 - Sat Oct 22 2005 06:44 PM

Don't worry too much about the short-term motion with respect to the official track... the current motion is so slow that some deviation from the short-term track won't make much difference down the line. The orientation of the upper-level winds will ultimately determine where this hits Florida.

The latest GFS is a little faster with the landfall in Florida and a little stronger with the low. The most significant change is that the 18Z GFS brings a very intense extratropical or hybrid system into New England in 72 hours. The previous run kept it well off of the coast.

jusforsean
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Broward County
Re: NHC Press Conference [Re: Rdietch]
      #61697 - Sat Oct 22 2005 06:48 PM

Here she goes again I think I just heard an update on channel 4 here in davie florida that said it seems the eye is well over open waters now a bit earlier than they expected and that it seems to have taken the ne trend but it could be a wobble they will see over the next few hrs.
This storm has an attitude problem! The threat of tornadoes scares me with this one with the hot meeting the cold and all. Guy on channel 7 keeps saying that this storm worries him he believes its going to strengthen prior to landfall. It appears the track has shifted a bit north so you think it will stay that way? Is it possible is this is a ne trend that it could shift the trach back south a bit? All guesses are on with this one I suppose we will really know when she makes landfall:) Luck to all be safe.....

engicedave
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Tue
Loc:
Re: NHC Press Conference [Re: jusforsean]
      #61698 - Sat Oct 22 2005 06:51 PM

If you look at this
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-vis-loop.html

Seems pretty clear that the CoC is offshore as well as the eye looks fairly defined already

Creepy

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Loc: Torrington, CT
Re: NHC Press Conference [Re: engicedave]
      #61699 - Sat Oct 22 2005 06:53 PM

Looked at that loop and looks like last frame has it going NE...could be just a wobble though.

--------------------
Gloria 1985 (Eye passed over my house in...get this...northwestern CT!)

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Re: NHC Press Conference [Re: chase 22]
      #61700 - Sat Oct 22 2005 06:55 PM

You're right about the cooler, more stable air north of the front not supporting tornadoes, but convective cells in the immediate vicinity of the frontal zone may have an enhanced risk or tornados, due to the increased low-level shear near the boundary, which may act more like a warm front or stationary front as the storm approaches. Anywhere from the frontal location and southward will have the greatest tornado risk. As SPC points out in their Day 2 outlook, the risk of tornadoes will increase sooner than it normally would with an approaching hurricane, thanks to the large wind field and increasing flow aloft, and may commence as early as tomorrow afternoon or evening.

willw
Weather Watcher

Re: NHC Press Conference [Re: Rdietch]
      #61701 - Sat Oct 22 2005 06:55 PM

HAHA anyone in tampa watching wtvt 13? I forget name of the weather guy on.. but VIPIR takes it through tampa and he played it off like it was below. and even seemed stunned/stuttering when he seen it . dont they look at this stuff before it's on tv?

jusforsean
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Broward County
Re: NHC Press Conference [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #61702 - Sat Oct 22 2005 06:55 PM

LOCAL TORNADO IMPACTS...
TROPICAL CYCLONES MOVING INTO THE FLORIDA PENINSULA FROM THE GULF OF MEXICO HAVE
A HISTORY OF BEING PROLIFIC TORNADO PRODUCERS...PARTICULARLY WHEN INTERACTING
WITH A SOUTHWARD MOVING COLD FRONT. HURRICANE ISBELL PRODUCED AT LEAST 13
TORNADOES ON A PATH SIMILAR TO THE FORECAST Wilma PATH IN OCTOBER 1964. ALL OF
SOUTH FLORIDA HAS THE POTENTIAL FOR ISOLATED TORNADOES DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF
DAYS AS BANDS ASSOCIATED WITH Wilma BEGIN AFFECTING THE AREA. THIS THREAT WILL
INCREASE SUNDAY...AND COULD BE SIGNIFICANT AS THE STORM APPROACHES THE
STATE.

...NEXT UPDATE...
THE NEXT UPDATE WILL BE ISSUED AROUND MIDNIGHT.

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Re: NHC Press Conference [Re: damejune2]
      #61703 - Sat Oct 22 2005 06:56 PM

The last recon fix indicated a NE movement as well. though that is likely just a wobble.

dolfinatic
Weather Guru

Loc: St. Petersburg, Fl
Re: NHC Press Conference [Re: chase 22]
      #61704 - Sat Oct 22 2005 06:57 PM

Pinellas county schools are anal. They will be the very last to close if at all.

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged: Sun
Loc: Tampa
Re: NHC Press Conference [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #61705 - Sat Oct 22 2005 07:00 PM

I know this is not the case, it would be nice, any Mets/Mods/Prof know what happened to this Micro shot, watch this LOL

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-time/marti/2005_TWENTY-FOUR/webManager/last24hrs.gif

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: NHC Press Conference [Re: willw]
      #61706 - Sat Oct 22 2005 07:00 PM

Just caught the end of that. Probably walking the fine line between supporting NHC and what he sees. I'm not sure that VIPIR is all that accurate either.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

ShelleyMcD
Verified CFHC User

Loc: SRQ
Re: NHC Press Conference- School Closings [Re: chase 22]
      #61709 - Sat Oct 22 2005 07:07 PM

I had to laugh-
Sarasota County EOC announced that tomorrow at 9 a.m. that there are four storm shelters opening - all of them schools.
http://204.193.113.203/ssDocuments/862/Storm%20Center/Media%20Releases/Wilma_alert_102205.pdf
At this point, Sarasota County Schools haven't announced anything, but common sense says that if the shelters are open Sunday, then there probably won't be classes Monday!

I couldn't find a listing for Pinellas being closed, but TBO has a good listing:
http://hurricane.weathercenter.com/
Then go to "Preparations by County"

--------------------
Self-Confessed Control Freak
(I know I can't control what will happen, but I can control how much I understand about it!)

nowhammies
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Wed
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: VIPIR [Re: MichaelA]
      #61710 - Sat Oct 22 2005 07:10 PM

Where does VIPIR get its information? It was the VIPIR system last year that made me stop watching one of our local channels here in Orlando. the local metkept talking about the VIPIR track as if it was the only thinkg that had any validity - for Jeanne I think - He kept repeating that VIPIR took it north along the east coast ad out of our area. I think it was new to the station at that point ans it was very much like watching a kid with a new toy. When we turned to the station that they used at the time for just broadcasting the local weather - all it was showing over and over was the VIPIR track.

I think that for the most part all of thesse tools are a good thing, but in that case it gave out a lot of misinformation.

I also had a question - all of this talk of Tornadic activity - and reading the message that looked like some mort of weather breifing discussing it- should we expect to see this activity in advance of the storm or with it or possibly behind it. I know that no one can guarantee that information, but decisions need to be made in a lot of small local churches about whether it is safe to have people coming out or if the tornado risk is too high? I know thatthe storm weather should be no issue for toorrow, but I am unsure about this other factor

Edited by nowhammies (Sat Oct 22 2005 07:16 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 547 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 103798

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center