F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)
Ronn
User

Reged:
Loc: Seminole, FL
Re: structure [Re: HanKFranK]
      #61761 - Sun Oct 23 2005 12:24 AM

Quote:

i really wish they'd be consistent, because a system with similar to sometimes better structure in the pacific last week remained a depression.

A question.....I know that the 2005 season now officially passes 1933 as the most active season in recorded history. However, due to better observations and satellite technology, is it unreasonable to conclude that 1933 could have had more storms than just 21? I think that many borderline tropical storms that are classified today as a result of more accurate and frequent observations, would have otherwise escaped classification in former years.

yeah, exactly. take a look at the track of lee, or maybe the flurry we had in the bay of campeche. don't think all of those would have been classified in '33. but far as recorded numbers go, this is the bigun. -HF

Edited by Ronn (Sun Oct 23 2005 12:28 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
engicedave
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: structure [Re: Ronn]
      #61762 - Sun Oct 23 2005 12:28 AM

I would say that's a fair assumption

Probably very accurate

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: structure [Re: engicedave]
      #61763 - Sun Oct 23 2005 12:34 AM

"Multiple Wind Maxima" normally refers to recon flight data in which the plane passes through more than one area with high speed winds.

example. 65-75 mph points A-F
100-110mph points G-I
75-85mph points J-M
110-130 mph points N-P
normally the Eye would come next where the wind typically drops down to near 10mph.
The wind speeds during the remainder of that flight leg would be in reverse.
Hi-lo-Hi-lo and so on.

evergladesangler
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Titan from ABC Tampa [Re: engicedave]
      #61764 - Sun Oct 23 2005 12:35 AM

Go to this link:

http://www.abcactionnews.com/weather/index.shtml

Click on:

Latest Accu-Weather update

The interesting thing about Titan is the heaviest part of the storm looks to be the north side, with landfall around the Caloosahatchee River, Fort Myers.

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
      #61765 - Sun Oct 23 2005 12:36 AM

The other assumption could hold true also. That they counted storms twice. Meaning they die out and reform and give them a new name.

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Re: Titan from ABC Tampa [Re: evergladesangler]
      #61766 - Sun Oct 23 2005 12:39 AM

Please Be VERY Careful with the VIPER and TITAN forecasts.
While I have seen some products that were very accurate. The NHC Advisories are the Official Product and you should use them as the Baseline.

Local NWS Offices would be the next line of information.
The advantage of the Viper and Titan systems would be that they give more frequent updates.

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Saint Marys Georgia
Re: 70 miles wide [Re: danielw]
      #61767 - Sun Oct 23 2005 12:39 AM

Quote:

a 70 mile wide path of destruction. If she were over land right now.
Charley was 10-14 miles wide and Katrina was 30miles wide when she made landfall in Mississippi.

Larger Eye= Larger path of destruction and or devastation. Her Eye diameter will probably change prior to Landfall. But I can't recall ever seeing a 70 Mile Wide EYE.
That's usually something that is seen during Eyewall Replacement Cycles-ERC.

I thought I heard that the eye of Frances was about the same Daniel? Maybe I am wrong but I do know Frances was huge.

ShelleyMcD
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: SRQ
      #61768 - Sun Oct 23 2005 12:41 AM

That sounds like what VIPIR on 8 and 13 was showing: the CoC about Ft. Myers, exiting over by Melbourne, and HEAVY rains along the I-4 corridor.

--------------------
Self-Confessed Control Freak
(I know I can't control what will happen, but I can control how much I understand about it!)

evergladesangler
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Titan from ABC Tampa [Re: danielw]
      #61769 - Sun Oct 23 2005 12:42 AM

Quote:

Please Be VERY Careful with the VIPER and TITAN forecasts.
While I have seen some products that were very accurate. The NHC Advisories are the Official Product and you should use them as the Baseline.

Local NWS Offices would be the next line of information.
The advantage of the Viper and Titan systems would be that they give more frequent updates.

I just posted that because someone earlier asked for a link. I don't know much about it and wouldn't rely on it.

No problem with the post. Just clarifying sources~danielw

Edited by danielw (Sun Oct 23 2005 12:44 AM)

jeangfl
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Myers, FL
      #61770 - Sun Oct 23 2005 12:42 AM

How accurate is this radar that you are referring to? I live 1/8 mile south of the Caloosahatchee River - this is scaring me -

evergladesangler
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Titan from ABC Tampa [Re: jeangfl]
      #61772 - Sun Oct 23 2005 12:44 AM

Quote:

How accurate is this radar that you are referring to? I live 1/8 mile south of the Caloosahatchee River - this is scaring me -

I wouldn't put much stock in that. It shows the heavier side being the north side which doesn't seem right.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
      #61773 - Sun Oct 23 2005 12:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't put much stock in that. It shows the heavier side being the north side which doesn't seem right.

Have you looked at Wilma lately? The north side is where the action appears to be to me, at this point. Of course the south side is still partially over land, so that might explain its weakness.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Eye Formation [Re: jeangfl]
      #61774 - Sun Oct 23 2005 12:50 AM

It's been about 74 minutes since the last Vortex.

Satellite imagery through 0015Z. It appears that Wilma is consolidating her EYE. I see what looks to be a smaller Eye forming near 22.0N and 86.3W.

Follow the open eye area over the tip of the Yucatan. Now go NE folling the curve. There is an area in the center of the Northern semicircle that appears to be the Center of Circulation now.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/FLOAT/IR4/20.jpg

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Eye Formation [Re: danielw]
      #61775 - Sun Oct 23 2005 12:53 AM

I'm going to go in and update my graphic, but looking at the cancun radar, and having looked about about 100 consectutive graphics of it, I'd have to say that it almost looks like the "developing" COC is actually the previous eyewall. Although not a strong (green with smatterings of yellow in what used to show yellow/red), it certainly held together as a cohesive, distinct area far beyond what it should have.

The 70nm eye was the outer wind maxima that held constant during the past 36+ hours or so.

I'll update my graphic and then we can see if we're both describing the same thing.

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
      #61776 - Sun Oct 23 2005 12:53 AM

You can see it on this link pretty good. http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/nwatl-wv-loop.html

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

dolfinatic
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: St. Petersburg, Fl
      #61777 - Sun Oct 23 2005 12:53 AM

could that still be a remnant of the inner eye it had a while back?

ChessieStorm
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Spring Hill, Fla. (Hernando C...
Re: Titan from ABC Tampa [Re: Hugh]
      #61778 - Sun Oct 23 2005 12:56 AM

I think it is showing more action north of the center due to it merging with the cold front coming down, thus making it a hybrid system and the wind field expanding.

This warm air overflowing on top of the cool air behind the front causing more rain in that area.

But that is just Titan and Viper, just predictions.

Edited by danielw (Sun Oct 23 2005 01:00 AM)

Mayor of Moronia
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Bayonet Point, Pasco County
      #61779 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:00 AM

Hurricanes cover a large area. It's unlikely a storm could evade ship and air traffic even in 1933. Of course, there is always an Admiral Halsey who steers his fleet through the center of the same typhoon twice.

full hurricanes maybe. of course sometimes they form well out in the eastern atlantic and die out there, and then there are questionable-nature storms in the subtropics... and the very weak or very flash-in-the-pan storms that move onshore in central america. there is a distribution bias in the historic database (i.e., number of storms on average in different parts of the basin in satellite/modern era vs. the older period). suggests the older data is missing some. great handle by the way. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Sun Oct 23 2005 01:27 AM)

iuhoosiers
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida [Re: MikeC]
      #61780 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:02 AM

IS IT JUST ME, OR DOES IT LOOK LIKE Wilma IS NOW TURNING TOWARDS THE NORTHEAST!!!!

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida [Re: iuhoosiers]
      #61782 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:09 AM

Quote:

IS IT JUST ME, OR DOES IT LOOK LIKE Wilma IS NOW TURNING TOWARDS THE NORTHEAST!!!!

It's probably not just you. However, in the last several IR images, the orientation of Wilma has actually slanted more poleward, in my opinion. I'm not talking about the COC because I'm having a hard time locating the exact COC on the IR loop, but the elongation from SW to NE that was present earlier has tilted more toward a N/S orientation, it appears. I think some (most?) models forecast a northward track before the northeast turn, and this is probably what is happening.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 141 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 103582

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center