F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 230 (Idalia) , Major: 230 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 230 (Idalia) Major: 230 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)
KC
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sun
Loc: Naples, FL
Re: Here it comes! [Re: LadyStorm]
      #62238 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:10 PM

Collier Emergency Management is holding a press conference and they are still expecting landfall in the vicinity of Marco Island early tomorrow morning. Shelters opened this morning and registrations are continuing. Curfews are in place for areas under mandatory evac orders in Collier County.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
maddie
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Port Richey, Florida
Re: Here it comes! [Re: Lysis]
      #62239 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:11 PM

Here in Pasco County( you know the one county that still has schools open) is very muggy but a breeze has started.....Bay News 9 is stating that the hurricane is still looking very healthy , you think much intensification will occur before landfall?

R-U-Q-R-U

Loc: Seminole County
Re: Here it comes! [Re: Rasvar]
      #62240 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It is Florida..... no matter where you go its very flat... no mountains or even sizable hills....just sand dunes at the beach

Probably the closest thing to a hill are landfills in Broward and Miami-Dade counties. Otherwise, it is about as flat as you can find.

Actually the Mount Dora area of Lake County is pretty hilly by FL standards.

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Here it comes! [Re: R-U-Q-R-U]
      #62241 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:18 PM

URNT12 KNHC 231807
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 23/17:50:10Z
B. 23 deg 02 min N
085 deg 27 min W
C. 700 mb 2778 m
D. NA kt
E. 000 deg 000 nm
F. 216 deg 085 kt
G. 135 deg 059 nm
H. 963 mb
I. 8 C/ 3046 m
J. 14 C/ 3050 m
K. 13 C/ NA
L. CLOSED
M. C60
N. 12345/ 7
O. 0.06 / 2 nm
P. AF304 2124A Wilma OB 21
MAX FL WIND 96 KT SE QUAD 17:16:40 Z

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Here it comes! [Re: maddie]
      #62242 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:19 PM

Anything is possible in a hurricane, but hopefully it will stay stable. The waters around the Gulf have always been difficult to predict in how they will or will not support a system. I still think for the coastal areas the biggest danger is storm surge. The rain is an issue for areas that have poor drainage. The final element will be that people are not complacent, but are experiencing hurricane fatigue, financial costs are much higher than this time last year, and the numbers at face value of Cat one or two are not scary after seeing the effects of Katrina and Rita. This system is one that everyone needs to have a plan and pray they don't need it.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

EaglezFan42
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
Loc: St Petersburg, FL (Jungle Terr...
Re: Here it comes! [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #62243 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:19 PM

Pasco County schools closed on Monday! Just got a phone call from the district. They always have to be the last ones to close school, dont they? LOL

age234
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Winter Park
      #62244 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:20 PM

This has probably been posted a lot, but what is the link to the site that translates that recon data to a readable form?

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Loc: Tampa
Re: Here it comes! [Re: age234]
      #62245 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:21 PM

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/reconlist.shtml

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

#62246 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:21 PM

No indication of an inner eyewall on the latest recon. If anything, I think that if Wilma is going to intensify much from here, it is going to have to get rid of the inner eyewall fragment and contract the outer eyewall. The inner eyewall doesn't have much of a chance to become very strong since it is within a stronger outer eyewall.

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Here it comes! [Re: EaglezFan42]
      #62247 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:22 PM

CoC now beginning to show on Key West radar.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

DeLandT
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Parrish, FL
Re: Here it comes! [Re: R-U-Q-R-U]
      #62248 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:26 PM

The highest point in Florida is called Britton Hill. The elevation is a nosebleeding 345 feet. Located in Lakewood Park.

chase 22
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: San Angelo, TX
Re: Here it comes! [Re: EaglezFan42]
      #62249 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:26 PM

For those of you that live in the TB area...If you go outside and look to the North you can actually see the warm fron to the North, and the darker clouds of Wilma to the SW. It's pretty cool to actually see what you have been talking about.

--------------------
Matt

Rdietch
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Re: Here it comes! *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: chase 22]
      #62250 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:31 PM

This post was sent to the Hurricane Graveyard

FireAng85
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Mount Dora, FL 32757
Re: Here it comes! [Re: chase 22]
      #62251 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:32 PM

The "Mountain" area you are referring to is called Sugarloaf Mountain.. It's as close to a mountain as we get here in Florida. Check this out!
http://shorton.phpwebhosting.com/slideshows/sugarloaf_mtn.htm
It is in Lake County around Montverde/Ferndale. It's very pretty........

Thought Florida was flat, did ya? If this is your first tour of central Florida, you may be in for some surprises. Rising to the grand elevation of 310 feet, Sugar Loaf affords a panoramic view of glistening Lake Apopka and various smaller lakes. Citrus groves of orange and grapefruit trees, sprawling ranch houses and marinas await you. Terrain: flat to rolling hills....

--------------------
Angie Robertson
OCFRD
"So others may live"

Edited by FireAng85 (Sun Oct 23 2005 02:41 PM)

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

#62253 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:35 PM

Surface winds measured by dropsondes into the eyewall have been unusually low the last couple of hours... nothing to even hurricane force. It's possible that these measurements aren't representing the true surface winds, or else the surface wind field is significantly disrupted compared to the mid-level wind field, which is possible given the disorganized eye structure and the recent interaction with land. Even if that is the case, the surface wind field will probably recover with time to become more along the lines of what you would expect with a hurricane of this size and magnitude.

chase 22
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: San Angelo, TX
Re: Here it comes! *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* *DELETED* *DELETED* [Re: Rdietch]
      #62254 - Sun Oct 23 2005 02:38 PM

Post deleted by chase 22

Edited by MikeC (Sun Oct 23 2005 02:57 PM)

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC