F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)
emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Indianapolis
Re: Thoughts [Re: swimaway19]
      #62041 - Sun Oct 23 2005 07:59 AM

Quote:

How accurate do you think this Wunderground weather map is? It shows the cold front to be already south of Tampa. I know the front is predicted to retreat north again, but was it expected to go this far south?

http://www.wunderground.com/US/Region/US/2xpxFronts.html

I check the fronts on the NOAA site. After the loop loads click the top where it says NWS fronts.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/gmex-ir4-loop.html

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Thoughts [Re: StPeteBill]
      #62042 - Sun Oct 23 2005 08:01 AM

The cold front is near Cedar Key and the points just south/Cross city etc. A few degrees difference in one air massand another makes the cooler one a cold front. It does not describe the temperature very well. The dryer air does look like it is entraining on the Cuba side of the storm. I am assuming that it is interaction with land causing this. It makes the whole storm look elongated on satellite. Barometric Pressure at my location is 29.73 and rising!

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Edited by GuppieGrouper (Sun Oct 23 2005 08:03 AM)

Ronn
User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Seminole, FL
Re: Thoughts [Re: StPeteBill]
      #62043 - Sun Oct 23 2005 08:02 AM

Quote:

I sure don't think it has passed. I am in St Pete and the temperature at my house right now is 79 degrees and muggy as all get out.

I can verify this. The surface front has definitely not passed through Pinellas County. Temperatures are still in the 70s with only a light east wind. I think the front is already retreating north. I don't see any major change in the forecast track: continued acceleration to the northeast with a landfall near Naples.

KC
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sun
Loc: Naples, FL
Re: Thoughts [Re: maddie]
      #62044 - Sun Oct 23 2005 08:03 AM

Naples is 79 and humid, with the pressure holding steady. I'll know when the pressure starts to drop because I get headaches - I don't have asthma, just allergies but I always react to pressure changes (I always experienced the same before snowstorms when I lived in PA). We are as ready as possible and hoping for the best. The dogs have learned their new command - CLOSET!

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Track [Re: swimaway19]
      #62045 - Sun Oct 23 2005 08:03 AM

The 5 a.m official NHC track goes across the state from Marco Island to Jupiter. Most of the guidance now shows a track from south of Naples to south of West Palm Beach. We are definitely in a warm and muggy air mass ahead of the storm. My dew point has been 76/77 degrees all night long with a low temperature of only 79 degrees. Pressure is down to 29.74" from 29.82" yesterday at this time. I will have my weather station up and running as long as I have power.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged: Tue
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
Re: Thoughts [Re: ChessieStorm]
      #62046 - Sun Oct 23 2005 08:05 AM

As of 8am,she is holding her own.Winds still 100mph and presure is the same also.Tampa is out of the cone.

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

Edited by ftlaudbob (Sun Oct 23 2005 08:06 AM)

evergladesangler
Weather Hobbyist

new GFDL around Flamingo [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #62047 - Sun Oct 23 2005 08:12 AM

Model run at 11:27Z:

http://www.sfwmd.gov/org/omd/ops/weather/plots/storm_24.gif

Looks like this could be a reverse Katrina track across Florida.

JustMe
Weather Guru

Loc: Orlando, Florida
Re: Thoughts [Re: danielw]
      #62048 - Sun Oct 23 2005 08:15 AM

Orlando is muggy this am as well
They are trying to decide to close schools here tomorrow or not
I wouldn't want to responsible for kids on a bus and have the winds blowing tropical strength

--------------------

I have survived Betsy Miss, Camille Miss., Andrew Fl, Charley Fl, Frances FL, Jeanne FL,

JustMe
Weather Guru

Re: Thoughts [Re: JustMe]
      #62049 - Sun Oct 23 2005 08:26 AM

can someone please tell me the date Katrina hit Florida

--------------------

I have survived Betsy Miss, Camille Miss., Andrew Fl, Charley Fl, Frances FL, Jeanne FL,

maddie
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Port Richey, Florida
      #62050 - Sun Oct 23 2005 08:27 AM

I am waiting for the same thing in Pasco County...the alarm company I work for mandates that service vehicles can not be on the road in 35mph winds +, you would think the same would apply for buses....

JustMe
Weather Guru

#62051 - Sun Oct 23 2005 08:29 AM

I belive they said here 40 miles per hour for school buses
Brevard county just announced school closings

--------------------

chase 22
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: San Angelo, TX
Re: Thoughts [Re: Joshua]
      #62053 - Sun Oct 23 2005 08:32 AM

Quote:

According to the NHC, you all in St. Petersburg shouldn't be getting too much in the way of storm surge. In fact, the water may even be pushed out a bit due to the winds. Also, you may not be getting much more than strong tropical storm gusts, so I wouldn't evacuate if it were me and I live 5 miles from the beach as well here in Ft. Lauderdale.

But as always, do what you local officials tell you to do. Call you local county EOC office's rumor control hotline and ask them if you should evacuate.

http://www.co.pinellas.fl.us/bcc/emergency/

You have to remember that St. Petersburg is a penninsula surrounded by water on 3 sides. I agree with you if you live close to the beach. However, winds coming out of the NE and eventually the East will pile the water in Tampa Bay on the west side which happens to be the lowest parts of Pinellas Cty (Shore Acres, Snell Isle). Thes areas flood very easily even with a strong thunderstorm. I have a good friend who lives in shore acres and she gets flooded all the time. IMO Anybody living in or near the Shore Acres, Snell Isle area should prepare for flooding. I would hope that nobody has any problems whatsoever with Wilma. My thoughts and prayers are with everybody that will get affected.

On another note...Pinellas Cty schools are on a wait and see basis. This I don't understand since the NWS is calling for sustained winds at 44-47mph with gusts to 60 and school buses can't drive in winds 35+. I would think that wouldn't take any chances but, they're the professionals right???

--------------------
Matt

Joshua
Weather Watcher

Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Re: Thoughts *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: JustMe]
      #62054 - Sun Oct 23 2005 08:32 AM

This post was sent to the Hurricane Graveyard

chase 22
Weather Hobbyist

#62055 - Sun Oct 23 2005 08:35 AM

Quote:

I am waiting for the same thing in Pasco County...the alarm company I work for mandates that service vehicles can not be on the road in 35mph winds +, you would think the same would apply for buses....

Waste Management will close at 35mph. I Work at the Pinellas Transfer station, and we have completed all of our preps. We are on what they call emergency standby for tomorrow

--------------------
Matt

pincty
Weather Watcher

#62058 - Sun Oct 23 2005 08:35 AM

I'm in No. Pinellas wondering the same. When I went to sleep, I thought school would be cancelled as it appeared that Ft. Myers would be the area most likely to be hit. But now it could hit a good way south of there thus the winds may not hit TS strength.

maddie
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Port Richey, Florida
Re: Thoughts [Re: chase 22]
      #62059 - Sun Oct 23 2005 08:35 AM

I guess as parents we will just have to decide for ourselves if we should send our kids to school on Monday or not.....I have a quick question , how wide is the eye of the storm now and what is the approx size of the storm ?

JustMe
Weather Guru

Re: Thoughts [Re: Joshua]
      #62061 - Sun Oct 23 2005 08:35 AM

thanks Josh I couldn't remember seems like an eon ago we have been watching Wilma so long.

--------------------

Joshua
Weather Watcher

Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Re: Thoughts [Re: chase 22]
      #62062 - Sun Oct 23 2005 08:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

According to the NHC, you all in St. Petersburg shouldn't be getting too much in the way of storm surge. In fact, the water may even be pushed out a bit due to the winds. Also, you may not be getting much more than strong tropical storm gusts, so I wouldn't evacuate if it were me and I live 5 miles from the beach as well here in Ft. Lauderdale.

But as always, do what you local officials tell you to do. Call you local county EOC office's rumor control hotline and ask them if you should evacuate.

http://www.co.pinellas.fl.us/bcc/emergency/

You have to remember that St. Petersburg is a penninsula surrounded by water on 3 sides. I agree with you if you live close to the beach. However, winds coming out of the NE and eventually the East will pile the water in Tampa Bay on the west side which happens to be the lowest parts of Pinellas Cty (Shore Acres, Snell Isle). Thes areas flood very easily even with a strong thunderstorm. I have a good friend who lives in shore acres and she gets flooded all the time. IMO Anybody living in or near the Shore Acres, Snell Isle area should prepare for flooding. I would hope that nobody has any problems whatsoever with Wilma. My thoughts and prayers are with everybody that will get affected.

On another note...Pinellas Cty schools are on a wait and see basis. This I don't understand since the NWS is calling for sustained winds at 44-47mph with gusts to 60 and school buses can't drive in winds 35+. I would think that wouldn't take any chances but, they're the professionals right???

As I said before, according to the NHC it shouldn't be that bad for residents. I don't live there, and I don't know how the conditions can get with certain types of storms. Therefore, always listen to your local officials when making decisions. I can't seem to stress that enough. If your local EOC tells you to leave for this storm. leave for it. It's really that simple.

Taking the advice of professionals with some years of experience is usually preferred over speculation or sometimes educated guesses on a forum.

cainwatch

Reged: Sun
Loc: Indian Harbour Beach, FL
      #62063 - Sun Oct 23 2005 08:36 AM

Anyone know when Brevard will start to get Tropical force winds?

chase 22
Weather Hobbyist

#62064 - Sun Oct 23 2005 08:37 AM

Quote:

can someone please tell me the date Katrina hit Florida

8/25/05?? maybe 8/26

--------------------
Matt

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 289 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 107362

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center