F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane History

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
Time to WAKE up ..come on... was 90 in Miami.. water temps?
      #6257 - Mon Mar 03 2003 08:50 AM

Come on... time to wake up and need some help around here, please...

Want to know some history here.. please..

When were those quirky off season storms.. the ones in Feb and March.. think the only month w/o is April which is so strange, you'd think january but know its not.. so...

Does anyone know when those storms occured and details...

Its 90 in Miami... water temps in Keys around 79, another week of high temps ten degrees above normal round here and all those dangling fronts *could* produce something on any given day.. happens, always exceptions to the rule..

Someone help me here with some exceptional history, please?

Thank you...

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kevin
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: EC Florida
Exception history....you have it here.
      #6263 - Tue Mar 18 2003 12:03 PM

The first thing I wanted to clarify is this: all months with the exception of February have had a tropical cyclone occur in the Atlantic Basin.

Secondly, I see that you made your post on March 3rd. Lets see...it's the 18th of March now...and most of Florida still has experienced a cool down. And indications are, that when the temps. finally do cool down, they will still be above normal.

For one thing, it is not very easy to go finding the reasons for why the off-season storms developed. Land and water temps are not an easy way to get a gauge on this, simply because records are only easy to find for about 10 years back (1993). You can probably find more years, but you'll have to shovel some dough down on a website that gives local climatology.

There are some rules to remember with these storms. For one, the tropical AND subtropical ones during the offseason seem to have a STRONG bias towards El Nino years. I think the last off-season storm we had was in April of 1992, which was a moderate El Nino year. And yes, that year was known to be warm in S. Florida, I think...

This leads me on to another path way. Typically, hot temperatures over Florida (as we are having this year) seem to be indicative of ridges in the SE US during the peak of hurricane season. I don't know why, but when I look at climo, it seems most of the years with early season storms usually have SE US storms. Of course, these tend to be El Nino years, and there will usually be one "bad one". 1992 was case in point.

BTW, this reminds me of 1998 in Florida. Early in the year, the conditions were stormy. Then, it stopped slowly (like it seems to be doing now) and we had HOT temperatures and brush fires in the state all summer. The 1998 hurricane season wasn't pretty either for Florida and for many other areas of the US and Carribbean (remember Mitch?). The only (big) difference with this year is that the ENSO phases we are (and will be) dealing with aren't so extreme. So, we should have a weak La Nina later this summer, but it won't develop in only a month and a half as was the case in 98.

Geez...how did that become so long winded?

Weather Master

Reged: Sun
Loc: W. Central Florida
Re: Exception history....you have it here.
      #6317 - Tue Apr 22 2003 05:49 AM

Hello to All,
It is good to be back posting with everyone again. Ana, has taken a few people by suprise including myself.Looking back even futher in history, we had a 1908 hurricane in March 6-9.It is also interesting to note that it was not a very active year and most of the storms that year seemed to stay East of Florida or just off the entire East Coast. TONI

--------------------
TONI

All of us could take a lesson from the weather:
It pays no attention to criticism

My 2003 Hurricane guess 13-9-3

Floridacane
Weather Guru

Reged: Sat
Loc: Palm Bay, Florida
      #6330 - Wed Apr 23 2003 10:22 PM

Definitely true about it not being active, but we still had a Cat2 hit N. Carolina that year and a minor trop storm hit S. Carolina. But there was only 8 storms in which 5 were Hurricanes. I can't believe a Cat2 storm in the 1st week of march, unbelievable (1908)

--------------------
What's brewin' everyone?
Lori

Floridacane
Weather Guru

Reged: Sat
Loc: Palm Bay, Florida
      #6331 - Wed Apr 23 2003 11:35 PM

I compiled a little history on all storms that started before June 1st since 1865 if anyone is interested
Early Hurricanes
By Year, US Landfalls, FL landfalls
How many storms there were and how many of those
were Hurricanes.

1865 7 total 3 Hurricanes 2 US hits, 1 FL Earliest May 30th
1887 17 total 10 Hurricanes 4 US hits 2 FL Earliest May 17th
1889 9 total 5 Hurricanes 3 US hits, 3 FL Earliest May 16th
1932 11 total 6 Hurricanes 6 US hits, 2 FL Earliest May 5th
1933 21 total 10 Hurricanes 8 US hits, 4 FL Earliest May 14th
1934 11 total 6 Hurricanes 7 US hits, 2 FL Earliest May 27th
1940 8 total 4 Hurricanes 3 US hits, 1 FL Earliest May 19th
1948 9 total 6 Hurricanes 4 US hits, 3 FL Earliest May 22nd
1951 10 total 8 Hurricanes 1 US hits, 1 FL Earliest May 15th
1953 14 total 6 Hurricanes 6 US hits, 5 FL Earliest May 25th
1959 11 total 7 Hurricanes 7 US hits, 3 FL Earliest May 28th
1970 10 total 5 Hurricanes 5 US hits, 3 FL Earliest May 17th
1972 7 total 3 Hurricanes 5 US hits, 3 FL Earliest May 23rd
1976 10 total 6 Hurricanes 2 US hits, 1 FL Earliest May 21st

Really Early Storms since 1908

1908 8 total 5 Hurricanes 2 US hits, 0 FL Earliest Mar 6th
1952 7 total 6 Hurricanes 2 US hits, 1 FL Earliest Feb 2nd
1978 12 total 5 Hurricanes 2 US hits, 0 FL Earliest Jan 18th
1992 7 total 6 Hurricanes 2 US hits, 1 FL Earliest Apr 21st

--------------------
What's brewin' everyone?
Lori

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3459

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center