F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
jmk818

Reged: Fri
Due North [Re: B.C.Francis]
      #62917 - Mon Oct 24 2005 09:39 AM

Anyone else notice the almost due north jog (perhaps trend) in the last hour or three? http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/amx_NCR_lp.shtml

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lysis
User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Due North [Re: jmk818]
      #62918 - Mon Oct 24 2005 09:43 AM

While we didn’t get anything worth bragging about, there was some pretty cool stuff here last night and this morning. Strong TS winds all morning… definite gusts well over 70mph starting at around 7:00 am. I am not sure any winds here were sustained at hurricane force… maybe around 7:45 – 8:15 when the pressure bottomed out in the low 980’s. There was a 100mph gust confirmed at Ft Myers, so it’s probable. At any rate, my footage is a heck of a lot better than the stuff coming from the keys on TWC.

Here:

Some small palms are down, which was surprising to me, and I saw about four or five transformers pop over the river in Port Charlotte. Big waves crashing up along the sea wall. The tide is unusually low, and the temperature has dropped a few degrees.

My dad’s campground at Big Cyprus National preserve was probably wiped out… I may go down there and get some footage of the area if I can.

Not too shabby for a storm so far away from me.

Oh yeah… I did the Cantore thing and got blasted in the street.

I will make a wmv. of some footage of me bieng an idiot later today.

--------------------
cheers

sunshinemamax2

Reged: Tue
Loc: Kissimmee, FL
Re: Due North [Re: Lysis]
      #62919 - Mon Oct 24 2005 09:46 AM

Lurker here, been lurking since Charley! Thanks for all of the great information, this has been an amazing resource over the past year!

Here in Kissimmee near Lake Toho, it looks like the worst we had so far was around 7:30 this morning. Lost some branches, power went off and on twice, nothing too terrible. About the same conditions as Jeanne and Frances.

--------------------
- 2005 Season ends on Emmeline's 1st birthday!

nandav
Weather Watcher

Loc: Pt. Charlotte, FL
Re: Due North [Re: Lysis]
      #62920 - Mon Oct 24 2005 09:46 AM

In North Port (34286) still gusty and rainy, but not as much as before. Temperature is dropping.. was 77 when we got up at 6 am, now down to 62 (according to TWC .. but, of course, they also reported our weather as being "Foggy" in the middle of it all). It's done a nice job pruning the dead leaves from our palm trees, but that's about all... NOTHING like Charley!

DMFischer
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Palm Bay
Re: Due North [Re: jmk818]
      #62921 - Mon Oct 24 2005 09:54 AM

Well, it has been interesting here, last night one tornado went over the house and touched down about 2 miles from me in Cocoa Village, that storm cell was so intense it shook my house. Kids slept in the hallway on mattresses. Ran out last night before it all cut loose to get a kid from a party and found this morning that my daughter left her window down on the car. *rolling eyes*
Right now the wind is gusting pretty good, but the water is up to our knees at the end of our driveway, and no end to the deluge yet. Its getting cool out there too.
Been watching the radar, looks like the eye will come out on the other side pretty well intact, and the cells of TS still spawning to the north of the eye. Stay dry everyone, and safely inside. Good day to do homework.

--------------------
Survived: Mitch '98-Charley's crossing'04-Frances '04-Jeanne'04 Survived near fatal fear from Floyd's threat.
Nearly grew gills with Fay'08

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Due North [Re: nandav]
      #62922 - Mon Oct 24 2005 09:55 AM

Still raining and windy here with gusts I would imagine sustained around 27 mph. at times. We have 61 degrees and I have no clue as to the windchill factor but it's winter to me. No wind damage that I can tell. Wondering about how far this storm will get off the coast from us since it is progged to go up the coast. Would the eastern coast line into the center of the Peninsula have to deal with more of it?

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Garcia

Reged: Mon
Re: Due North [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #62923 - Mon Oct 24 2005 09:59 AM

Is there anybody with news from Miami? Please be friendly and tell me what is going on there?
Thank you

TinaB
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: Melbourne [Re: StPeteBill]
      #62924 - Mon Oct 24 2005 10:02 AM

Quote:

I know the word "Tampa" can spark controversy here but have we seen the worst of our winds and threat of tornadoes here in the St Pete/Tampa area?

Yea, what it is about Tampa? It actually seems to be a bit worse as far as winds right now than it was earlier when those bands were moving through (about 6-7am). But the temps are definitely falling...it's actually cool out there! My thermometer says its 59 degrees..wow...those are winter temps for Florida

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Indianapolis
Re: Due North [Re: Garcia]
      #62925 - Mon Oct 24 2005 10:05 AM

Most likely it will be difficult for those in the Miami area to post. I have heard there are lots without power in that area.

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Loc: Torrington, CT
Re: Melbourne [Re: TinaB]
      #62926 - Mon Oct 24 2005 10:06 AM

Tornado watch is over, wasn't supposed to expire until 11am, but the NWS did away with it earlier due to storms rapid movement across the state. I think you are safe. Highlands County is the only county with a tornado watch still in effect.

It's 65 degrees here in Bradenton and very windy. Rain has subsided, although still overcast. It's kind of like a normal fall day in New England and for those of you who have been in New England in the fall, 25-35 mph winds are not uncommon. Hope everyone else faired ok.

--------------------
Gloria 1985 (Eye passed over my house in...get this...northwestern CT!)

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged: Sun
Loc: Tampa
      #62927 - Mon Oct 24 2005 10:06 AM

We have probably seen the worst at this point in Tampa pending some other freaky move by Wilma. Might I remind everyone hear however that there is currently a portion of the circulation over water again now, keep your guard up.

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Sheeper
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: Vero Beach, FL
      #62928 - Mon Oct 24 2005 10:07 AM

1000 treasure coast update....pounding now with winds over 40mph but no hurricane force winds in Indian River. Somewhat higher in St Lucie County. Storm is moving thru quickly, in fact faster than expected.

with luck another 90 minutes to 2 hours before we get significant relief

--------------------
Emergency Management Consultant & Trainer

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged: Sun
Loc: Tampa
Re: Due North [Re: Garcia]
      #62929 - Mon Oct 24 2005 10:07 AM

You can click on this link and watch live

http://www.wfor.com/

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

nl
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: nsb,fl
Re: Melbourne [Re: damejune2]
      #62930 - Mon Oct 24 2005 10:08 AM

ok and now for the billion dollar question of the yr. for the mets is it safe too say that the hurricane threat is finally over with? i mean it looks like summer is finally over down here and everyone should agree and hope that this is it for this yr.

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Loc: Torrington, CT
Re: Melbourne [Re: nl]
      #62932 - Mon Oct 24 2005 10:13 AM

That's a good question and i'll try to answer it even though i am not a met. On the news this morning they were talking about that and what the met said was this: With the cold front coming through and temps dropping and fall weather upon us, water temps will fall, thus making it difficult for any storms to come up this way and or develop.

--------------------
Gloria 1985 (Eye passed over my house in...get this...northwestern CT!)

michgirl

Reged: Mon
Re: Melbourne [Re: B.C.Francis]
      #62933 - Mon Oct 24 2005 10:14 AM

Hello!
I am looking for any information on the current status, i.e. forcast and conditions in Cocoa. I am in Michigan and my grandparents' house is there. Any updates or information would be greatly appreciated.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Melbourne [Re: nl]
      #62934 - Mon Oct 24 2005 10:15 AM

Five weeks remain in the hurricane season. It is not unlikely we'll see a Beta (just hope they don't jump the gun like they did with Alpha).

I called 950mb last night, and she got that low -- wow. Strong Cat 3; S. FL took a hit, and in retrospect Max M's initial tv conference would seem to be entirely appropriate. Continued slow intensification right up until land. The eye always looked rounded on radar even if the convection gave an odd appearance on sat. Wonder how bad the flooding was at Key West. Only have a couple minutes...I just checked the sat loops and the NHC advis archive. I'll catch up later!

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Geoff
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: Wilma Nearing Landfall [Re: TomKuhn]
      #62935 - Mon Oct 24 2005 10:15 AM

Is that surge, or rain water? We just got back from there last week and they looked like they were still cleaning up from Rita in some areas; there were large piles of debris by the side of the road all the way down. I talked to a carpenter working on a project there and he said he had removed 2 tons of seaweed from his yard after Rita.

By the way, I just saw a row boat go by on the webcam.

Quote:

WOW!!

I just checked the Duval St. Web Cam. It looks like Duval Street Key West is under water.

http://webcam.keywest.com/ Click on the Duval St. Camera.

Tom

marknccbch

Re: Melbourne [Re: michgirl]
      #62939 - Mon Oct 24 2005 10:22 AM

michgirl,

i live in coco beach and things have been breezy but not too bad. during the night there were a couple of tornados, one touching down in cocoa village (downtown cocoa at 520 and the indian river) Unless your folks were in the path of a tornado, the hurricane probably didn't do them harm (unless they live in a trailer...)

StPeteBill
Weather Watcher

Reged: Wed
Loc: Pinellas County
      #62940 - Mon Oct 24 2005 10:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I know the word "Tampa" can spark controversy here but have we seen the worst of our winds and threat of tornadoes here in the St Pete/Tampa area?

Yea, what it is about Tampa? It actually seems to be a bit worse as far as winds right now than it was earlier when those bands were moving through (about 6-7am). But the temps are definitely falling...it's actually cool out there! My thermometer says its 59 degrees..wow...those are winter temps for Florida

I am in Clearwater at the office right now and the winds are without a doubt stronger now than they were at 7:00 or 8:00 am this morning and they seem to be sustained instead of gust. Is this resulting from the cold front moving in?

As far as what it is about Tampa? Well it seems like from their postings that we have a few "wishcasters" around here and it is annoying and gets people going. I question if they have ever been through a hurricane or not and know what it can be like. I use to live in the p'handle and after Opal hit in 95 I have a whole new respect and fear of these things.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 147 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 88719

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center