F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
willw
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
Re: New warning? [Re: typhoon_tip]
      #63011 - Mon Oct 24 2005 03:24 PM

weather is so odd

Hurricane comes through at 6am in the morning

3pm in the afternoon it's sunny and cool 60's w/low humidity.... we all know how crappy florida is when it's hot.. But when it's like this, this is what we all cherish perfect weather.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Re: New warning? [Re: willw]
      #63012 - Mon Oct 24 2005 03:31 PM

Quote:

weather is so odd

3pm in the afternoon it's sunny and cool 60's w/low humidity.... we all know how crappy florida is when it's hot.. But when it's like this, this is what we all cherish perfect weather.

yeah - i wrote a post on this thread a while back, elucidating the rapid clearing and establishment of fair weather regime in Wilma's wake... I picked 3pm but I think i'm eating a little crow on the far eastern shores as some of the back-side cirrus shield and perhaps even some gusty wind may linger 'till 4... But even there, i suspect by 5 at the latest, all areas of the Peninsula should have a marvelously pleasant evening... Amazing!

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: New warning? [Re: willw]
      #63013 - Mon Oct 24 2005 03:33 PM

Wilma won't quit... the pressure is down a little more to 954mb, though the eye seems to be degrading.

pcola
Storm Tracker

Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
      #63014 - Mon Oct 24 2005 03:36 PM

This is a very strong cold front for FL for Oct. We had no effects from Wima in the panhandle but last night we had wind gusts of over 40 mph with nthe passage of the front, and temps in the 40's this AM...I actually had more stuff blow away last night than in Tropical Storm Arlene....I just hope this is the last time we talk about hurricanes and FL this year!

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

StPeteBill
Weather Watcher

Loc: Pinellas County
      #63015 - Mon Oct 24 2005 03:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

weather is so odd

yeah - i wrote a post on this thread a while back, elucidating the rapid clearing and establishment of fair weather regime in Wilma's wake... I picked 3pm but I think i'm eating a little crow on the far eastern shores as some of the back-side cirrus shield and perhaps even some gusty wind may linger 'till 4... But even there, i suspect by 5 at the latest, all areas of the Peninsula should have a marvelously pleasant evening... Amazing!

Here in St Petersburg the winds are stonger now than they were earlier today when we got all the rain. Currently:

72°F
(22°C)
Humidity: 53 %
Wind Speed: NW 24 G 36 MPH
Barometer: 29.56" (1000.9 mb)
Dewpoint: 54°F (12°C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

We are now having poweroutaged due to falling trees, got me a day off work. Otherwise it would be a beautiful fall like day if it weren't for this darn wind.

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Re: New warning? [Re: pcola]
      #63016 - Mon Oct 24 2005 03:45 PM

Quote:

This is a very strong cold front for FL for Oct. We had no effects from Wima in the panhandle but last night we had wind gusts of over 40 mph with nthe passage of the front, and temps in the 40's this AM...I actually had more stuff blow away last night than in Tropical Storm Arlene....I just hope this is the last time we talk about hurricanes and FL this year!

well...climatologically we're losing frequency very quickly... "October all -over" is a phrase that originated out of the earlier 20th Century active phase but frankly, that seems a little risky.

anyway... some of the middle range models do teleconnect to troughing at very deep latitudes in the Caribbean, which given any impetus there will be sufficient oceanic heat content - but there is nothing immenent to develop at this time.

still...it wouldn't surprise me if we have another systme to follow at some point.

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Re: New warning? [Re: StPeteBill]
      #63017 - Mon Oct 24 2005 03:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

weather is so odd

Here in St Petersburg the winds are stonger now than they were earlier today when we got all the rain. Currently:

72°F
(22°C)
Humidity: 53 %
Wind Speed: NW 24 G 36 MPH
Barometer: 29.56" (1000.9 mb)
Dewpoint: 54°F (12°C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

We are now having poweroutaged due to falling trees, got me a day off work. Otherwise it would be a beautiful fall like day if it weren't for this darn wind.

yep - and you'll be losing that wind to a growing memory of this event fairly shortly... Wilma's just moving to fast away for even her girthy circulation field... She can't hold onto you guys forever - heck, she'll 300+ naut miles NE of Melbourne by 7pm!

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

#63018 - Mon Oct 24 2005 03:54 PM

It looks like there could be a heavy rain event in New England (where they REALLY don't need one) after all, even if the contribution from Wilma is only marginal. A strong coastal low is going to develop anyway and at the very least will likely leach some tropical moisture off of Wilma, in addition to pulling in plenty of Atlantic moisture. The Boston NWS office has issued a true watch/warning buffet:

.BOX WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES...
CT...NONE.
MA...HIGH WIND WARNING FOR MAZ007-015-016-019-022>024 FROM 4 AM
TUESDAY TO 6 PM TUESDAY.
...FLOOD WATCH FOR MAZ004>007-012>022-026 FROM 6 AM TUESDAY TO 10
PM TUESDAY.
...COASTAL FLOOD WATCH FOR MAZ007-015-016-019-022>024 FROM 2 PM
TUESDAY TO 8 PM TUESDAY.
...WIND ADVISORY FOR MAZ004>006-012>014-017-018-020-021-026 FROM
4 AM TUESDAY TO 6 PM TUESDAY.
NH...WIND ADVISORY FOR NHZ012-015 FROM 6 AM TUESDAY TO 8 PM TUESDAY.
RI...FLOOD WATCH FOR RIZ001>007 FROM 6 AM TUESDAY TO 10 PM TUESDAY.
...WIND ADVISORY FOR RIZ001>007 FROM 4 AM TUESDAY TO 6 PM TUESDAY.
...HIGH WIND WARNING FOR RIZ008 FROM 4 AM TUESDAY TO 6 PM TUESDAY.
MARINE...GALE WARNING FOR ANZ230-236 FROM 2 AM TUESDAY TO 10 PM
TUESDAY.
...STORM WARNING FOR ANZ231>235-237-250-254-255 FROM 2 AM
TUESDAY TO 6 PM TUESDAY.

laureg
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Port St. Lucie, FL
Re: New warning? [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #63019 - Mon Oct 24 2005 04:06 PM

I was just gonna mention that the weather guys are saying this is headed toward SC and on up to New York down the road...but the radar shows it sort of staying clear of the east coast until way north...

Kept watching that radar on TV in the middle of the storm and waiting for that eye to come at least a little bit over us...but it never really did.

First thing I said after was, well, that's it. Here's to next year. I have to rethink all my hurricane theories as this year blew most of them out of the water (no pun intended). I don't want to hear about El Nino for awhile...

Heard there are no stoplights working from Boca to West Palm...

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

#63020 - Mon Oct 24 2005 04:08 PM

Quote:

It looks like there could be a heavy rain event in New England (where they REALLY don't need one) after all, even if the contribution from Wilma is only marginal. A strong coastal low is going to develop anyway and at the very least will likely leach some tropical moisture off of Wilma, in addition to pulling in plenty of Atlantic moisture. The Boston NWS office has issued a true watch/warning buffet:

.BOX WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES...
CT...NONE.
MA...HIGH WIND WARNING FOR MAZ007-015-016-019-022>024 FROM 4 AM
TUESDAY TO 6 PM TUESDAY.
...FLOOD WATCH FOR MAZ004>007-012>022-026 FROM 6 AM TUESDAY TO 10
PM TUESDAY.
...COASTAL FLOOD WATCH FOR MAZ007-015-016-019-022>024 FROM 2 PM
TUESDAY TO 8 PM TUESDAY.
...WIND ADVISORY FOR MAZ004>006-012>014-017-018-020-021-026 FROM
4 AM TUESDAY TO 6 PM TUESDAY.
NH...WIND ADVISORY FOR NHZ012-015 FROM 6 AM TUESDAY TO 8 PM TUESDAY.
RI...FLOOD WATCH FOR RIZ001>007 FROM 6 AM TUESDAY TO 10 PM TUESDAY.
...WIND ADVISORY FOR RIZ001>007 FROM 4 AM TUESDAY TO 6 PM TUESDAY.
...HIGH WIND WARNING FOR RIZ008 FROM 4 AM TUESDAY TO 6 PM TUESDAY.
MARINE...GALE WARNING FOR ANZ230-236 FROM 2 AM TUESDAY TO 10 PM
TUESDAY.
...STORM WARNING FOR ANZ231>235-237-250-254-255 FROM 2 AM
TUESDAY TO 6 PM TUESDAY.

yeah - I'm about 20 miles W of Boston and I've been following all this... concur!

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Re: New warning? [Re: laureg]
      #63021 - Mon Oct 24 2005 04:29 PM

Recon recently found 132 kt flight-level winds (at 850mb, I believe) in the SW quadrant of Wilma. That's an odd place to find the maximum winds in a system that is moving NE at around 30 mph, but Wilma has never been a typical hurricane.

Rdietch
Weather Hobbyist

#63022 - Mon Oct 24 2005 04:44 PM

My hat goes off the the NHC they had it peged and with all the difference people and stations trying to 1 up them it did not happen hate off to them.

Edited by Rdietch (Mon Oct 24 2005 04:50 PM)

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

#63023 - Mon Oct 24 2005 04:49 PM

A C-MAN station on the western tip of Grand Bahama island reported sustained winds up to 82 knots as Wilma went by, with gusts to 99 knots. The max winds were just bumped up to 105 knots (120 mph) on the 5pm advisory.

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
      #63024 - Mon Oct 24 2005 04:51 PM

a little stronger... she just wouldn't die!

REPEATING THE 5 PM EDT POSITION...29.0 N... 77.4 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTHEAST NEAR 37 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS...120 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 954 MB.

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Re: New warning? [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #63026 - Mon Oct 24 2005 04:55 PM

Quote:

that's unusual...to have even modest strengthening while moving at 37mph of translational velocity!

MadDog
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: DeBary, Florida
Re: Melbourne [Re: Margie]
      #63027 - Mon Oct 24 2005 04:56 PM

Margie said this a.m.
Quote:

Five weeks remain in the hurricane season. It is not unlikely we'll see a Beta (just hope they don't jump the gun like they did with Alpha).
Quote:

Is this the concensus?

( (I tried to post this to the Alpha discussion forum, but obviously it didn't go where I wanted it to)

Edited by MadDog (Mon Oct 24 2005 04:58 PM)

bn765
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Fri
Re: New warning? [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #63029 - Mon Oct 24 2005 04:56 PM

This is bad news for the east coast.....for the northeast they are already calling this the "superstorm" of 2005 which is supposed to hit the whole northeast tommorrow.

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

#63030 - Mon Oct 24 2005 04:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

that's unusual...to have even modest strengthening while moving at 37mph of translational velocity!

The shocking thing is that there is still some anticyclonic outflow on the backside of the system as it is getting pushed along at a high rate of speed.

blizzardnut
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sun
Loc: 42.3 N 71.7 W
      #63032 - Mon Oct 24 2005 05:00 PM

So... 40 ft seas forecast S and E of Nantucket, 1-5" of rain in E Mass, and 7"+ of snow forecast only 100 miles northwest of there. What a monsta!! Not a great day to go fishin'. It's almost leaf-raking time, but I'm not much into tree-raking. BTW, the mets here are predicting a "gravity wave" tomorow morning to enhance the rain along the south coast in association with all the transferred energy from Wilma (I think)... anyone care to educate me on what that is?
Also,
Quote:

This is bad news for the east coast.....for the northeast they are already calling this the "superstorm" of 2005 which is supposed to hit the whole northeast tommorrow.

Well, not to be too cynical, but this year we've already had two or three "superstorm of 2005"s...even here with no tropical systems... rough weather seems to be fairly common around here these days...but yeah, be careful everyone.

Edited by blizzardnut (Mon Oct 24 2005 05:07 PM)

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Torrington, CT
Re: Melbourne [Re: MadDog]
      #63033 - Mon Oct 24 2005 05:02 PM

I'd like to know the chances of us having to deal with another hurricane this year. The mets on the local station i watch said with the cooler temps, air and water, it would be difficult for anything to develop in this area or come at us from another area. Don't know how accurate that information is, but thats what they said.

--------------------
Gloria 1985 (Eye passed over my house in...get this...northwestern CT!)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 678 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 89551

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center