F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc:
Re: Melbourne [Re: marknccbch]
      #62941 - Mon Oct 24 2005 10:26 AM

cold 57 degrees in O'town this morning. Looking forward to the sun coming out in an hour or so.

Interesting rain event for us, little else.
Thoughts to all in South Florida who are w/o power and flooded.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nicolew
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Port St. Lucie, FL
Re: Miami [Re: StPeteBill]
      #62942 - Mon Oct 24 2005 10:28 AM

I just spoke to my friend in Miami (I left to come to my parents in Palm Beach) - she lives in Schenley Park, just west of Coral Gables. She says they have received no break, the eye did not come over them and remarked that the winds on the back side seem to be even stronger than the front. She says she has been hearing roof tiles hit her house and noticed that her neighbors are missing between 50-75% of their roof tiles. Apparently, Bryan Norcross is telling them that it will be 2 pm before the winds pass. They lost power early this morning. I am a little scared to see what I am going to be going home to in MIami when I finally return. Sorry I don't have more news but you can always watch www.wfor.com live feed - they are doing a great job!

jusforsean
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Broward County
Re: Miami [Re: nicolew]
      #62944 - Mon Oct 24 2005 10:31 AM

Hello All,
We are here originally stayed at my brother in laws apt, evacuated from our mobile home here in davie and we checked into a hotel at midnight and it was the best decision ever. Things are bad here roof tiles blowing, windows etc. All my family and friends from miami beach to sunrise have damage. I dont believe my mobile home will still be there. say a prayre for us and all. stay safe we are geting the back end now its pretty nasty out there.
Luck to all....Just wanted to touch base

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Melbourne [Re: StPeteBill]
      #62945 - Mon Oct 24 2005 10:32 AM

Wunderground is not showing pressure for West Palm Beach right now, but Jupiter (also in the eye) showing pressure of 960.9.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

KiminCanada
Verified CFHC User

Re: Melbourne [Re: Margie]
      #62947 - Mon Oct 24 2005 10:43 AM

Hi everyone.....great job on keeping us all informed.

I have 2 questions if I might.......Do you at all see Wilma curving back into the States or Canada.

Also, CNN this morning said Alpha was gone.....is that right????

Thanks

Kim

Orlandoman

Reged: Sun
Re: conditions [Re: KiminCanada]
      #62948 - Mon Oct 24 2005 10:45 AM

East Orlando conditions are Rain and Wind....When do we get out of this situation.....(ALMOST LIKE CHARLIE)

michgirl

Reged: Mon
      #62949 - Mon Oct 24 2005 10:48 AM

Mark,
They are near Forest Lakes. Do you know that area? That is a modular and mobil home area.

Kevin
Weather Master

Loc: EC Florida
Re: Melbourne [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #62950 - Mon Oct 24 2005 10:48 AM

Same here a little NW of Orlando...the highest wind gust was around 25 mph. The rain was blowing diagonally for a little while; a bit on the heavy side at times.

Compared to what we've seen in South Florida, this has been a relative non-event for Central Florida. Good luck to those in SFL.

Also looks like we're going to see a rather dramatic clearing this afternoon.

TinaB
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: Melbourne [Re: KiminCanada]
      #62951 - Mon Oct 24 2005 10:49 AM

Alpha is naught but a TD according to the latest advisory from the NHC. Still moving North

Back to Wilma...I'm guessing it's the front that is causing that west side of the storm to flatten like that? Almost as if it's saying "get on out of here!"

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/FLOAT/IR4/20.jpg

marknccbch

Re: Melbourne [Re: KiminCanada]
      #62952 - Mon Oct 24 2005 10:52 AM

wind is starting to pick here in cocoa beach, power has been flickering

looks like we are going to get the west side of it as it starts to track NE

wind really wipping from the NE to the SW, guessing that we will have 3hrs of this

royener
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Clearwater, FL
Re: Melbourne [Re: TinaB]
      #62953 - Mon Oct 24 2005 11:01 AM

We are getting sunshine a bit windy and cold, around old Tampa bay, but nothing out of the ordinary (except the temps).
Heavy seas running the beach is deserted http://www.wtvt.com/clwcam.htm

Good luck to you guys who are catching the real storm

GLT
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Wed
Loc: Central FL
Re: conditions [Re: Orlandoman]
      #62954 - Mon Oct 24 2005 11:07 AM

Oh come on (unapproved smiley face) ..this isn't even like Jeanne or Frances (25 M North of orlando here)..

Heck I even slept thru Charlie (reminds me of Animal House - my advice to you son is to drink heavily).. then you can sleep right thru these things.

OK info - here it is gusty -not bad. Many palm frowns in the yard. Estimate (wild guess) 2" of rain so far. Very wet.

Have a question... friends boss wants him to work today (Longwood, FL) . No real point unless UPS picks up and I don't think they will.

So question: Is UPS operating in Central FL today?

Thanks for all for the info from everyone.

GLT

P.S. Very thankful here. Best wishes to those not as lucky.

charlottefl
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Melbourne [Re: royener]
      #62955 - Mon Oct 24 2005 11:10 AM

Up here in Port Charlotte it's still gusting in the 50's temp outside is 62 degrees. Just talked to my dad in Naples. They lost 4 or 5 trees and lost part of the air conditioning on the building . He said the back side was far worse. My uncle in Port St. Lucie said winds there were well over 100. He lost his fence, neighbor lost a huge tree and a trampoline slammed into a building.

emackl
Storm Tracker

Loc: Indianapolis
Re: Melbourne [Re: charlottefl]
      #62956 - Mon Oct 24 2005 11:13 AM

We are getting pounded in Melb. Worst we've had all morning. Wind is really whipping with lots of rain. The pine trees on the golf course are leaning like crazy. I'm sure it's nothing like those in the south are seeing though.

poetdi
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Maitland, FL
Re: conditions [Re: GLT]
      #62957 - Mon Oct 24 2005 11:15 AM

Maitland checking in - agree that this is nothing like last year. Charley went right over us, no power for 5 days. This (Wilma) has been gusty at times, lots of rain, and my unscientific measurement based on how low the pool was yesterday, and the fact it's almost overflowing now, is that we've had about 3-4 inches of rain. It's gusting again now, and cool temps.

Our hearts go out to everyone in South Fla. We really do feel your pain.
Diane

michgirl

#62958 - Mon Oct 24 2005 11:21 AM

Mark,
Still hanging on there in Cocoa?
Any changes/updates??

Geoff
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: conditions [Re: GLT]
      #62959 - Mon Oct 24 2005 11:21 AM

One thing we all know from going through quite a few of these things is that it depends on where you are in relation to these bands as they travel across. When "Orlandoman" posted it looked on the RADAR as through they were getting a heavy band through his area in east Orlando, and it looked like they were adjacent to or under a flood watch. It could very well been "almost like Charlie" to him (from an Orlando perspective, that is). Good luck to all of you!

Quote:

Oh come on (unapproved smiley face) ..this isn't even like Jeanne or Frances (25 M North of orlando here)..

Heck I even slept thru Charlie (reminds me of Animal House - my advice to you son is to drink heavily).. then you can sleep right thru these things.

OK info - here it is gusty -not bad. Many palm frowns in the yard. Estimate (wild guess) 2" of rain so far. Very wet.

Have a question... friends boss wants him to work today (Longwood, FL) . No real point unless UPS picks up and I don't think they will.

So question: Is UPS operating in Central FL today?

Thanks for all for the info from everyone.

GLT

P.S. Very thankful here. Best wishes to those not as lucky.

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: conditions [Re: Geoff]
      #62960 - Mon Oct 24 2005 11:26 AM

Absolutely correct. Tampa has sunshine we are 40 miles to the east and we have rain and wind still....It is the position of the storm. One person's storm is another persons good luck in Florida.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

marknccbch

Re: Melbourne [Re: michgirl]
      #62961 - Mon Oct 24 2005 11:31 AM

Michgirl,

having a grand old time here in Cocoa Beach. Constant winds for about the last 30minutes and some good gust. On the positive side, I wont need to trim the palm fronds off the washingtonians for a few more months since most of the old fronds are blown away.

hopefully only a couple more hours. From the 11am NHC report, we are about 90NM from the center of Wilma.

hoping this thing goes more ENE than NE

Southern4sure
Weather Guru

Loc: Land O Lakes, FL
New warning? [Re: Geoff]
      #62962 - Mon Oct 24 2005 11:33 AM

Just recently scrolling at the bottom of the tv screen was a list of counties under a hurrinace warning including mine Pasco. Other counties are Manatee, Hillsborough, Pinellas, Polk, Hernando, Sarasota, De Soto. I thought as of about an hour ago, conditions were improving on the west coast. Is there more going on than I thought? Several stations are scrolling......

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 149 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 88742

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center