F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
lil
Unregistered

Wilma intensification
      #63221 - Thu Oct 27 2005 01:56 PM

A few questions and a thank you:

I've heard people say that Wilma intensified while over land. Is that possible? It it true? If so, how? Doesn't a hurricane need the energy of warm water to intensify?

Or, did Wilma just stay steady across the state, rather than decrease in intensity as is usually the case?

I live on Florida's East coast. When the storms come from the East, I go West. When they come from the West, I "hunker." But many folks on Fl.'s east coast are hurting badly right now, perhaps because they reasoned similarly. Is it no longer safe to assume hurricances will decrease in intensity as they cross Florida?

Also, thank you moderators and informed posters for the work you do. I convinced reluctant, stubborn, elderly, and - frankly - tired relatives to evacuate the East coast twice last summer thanks largely to the maps and info. I found at this site.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Convergence
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
Loc: Ellicott City, Maryland
Re: Wilma intensification [Re: lil]
      #63225 - Thu Oct 27 2005 02:57 PM

Wilma definitely did not intensify while over Florida- it maintained its intensity very well as there is a delay between energy cutoff and weakening, and Wilma's time over Florida was well within that delay.

Bottom line is that the total energy in a tropical cyclone cannot increase while over land (provided that it is a purely tropical event). However, I suppose it's possible that the eye of a hurricane could continue to contract if it had been doing so before landfall, and the winds would marginally increase.

KS4EC
Unregistered

Re: Wilma intensification [Re: Convergence]
      #63226 - Thu Oct 27 2005 03:17 PM

As someone that went through the eye of Wilma in Just west of West Palm Beach I have to disagree, I understand the dynamics of normal hurricanes, but, there where some very special conditions working with this hurricane. Namely the cold front that was around Orlando when Wilma passed, I was watching the radar as Wilma passed the west side of Wilma passsed over Lake O and while I think it had nothing to do with the lake, the radar went from yellows and greens to solid red on the western side of the storm.

I was outside during the eye and the first part of the western eyewall and the temp dropped about 20-30 Deg in less than 20 min.

Also every report I have heard from the eastern part of the state said the western side of the storm was the worst and that the western part of the state reported the southern side of the storm was the worst, as expected.

Just my thoughts from being in the storm and watching the roof of my florida room peal off and the walls blow away also, My florida room used to face south and was fully exposed to winds from both sides, probably more so from the east side of the storm and it bairly moved for the first part, but lasted only about 10 min for the second part.

we also lost part of our roof in the second half.

What a storm, BTW I am looking for a site with recorded Doppler Radar of Wilma passing over Florida, I would like to see it.

If anyone has any idea of where to find that please E-mail me the link at KS4EC@ARRL.NET or post it here.

Thanks
Rob

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4057

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center