F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
MapMaster
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Bye, bye, Delta! [Re: Nanci]
      #63998 - Sat Nov 26 2005 08:25 PM

Nanci:

Unfortunately, coming into the 'conversation' late, you don't know the history. Margie has relatives who live in the MS impact zone and also she used to live down there I believe. Just because someone now lives in a place far away from hurricanes does not mean they always have!Or that they lack empathy because they think hurricanes are fascinating.

As a cracker (native) Floridian, I have been through many storms and have had storm damage...but, still find hurricanes and all storms, fascinating. That doesn't mean I don't recognize the power and danger of the storms and their destruction and it's effects on the lives in the landfall areas and beyond. I am sure this is true for Margie and for the great majority of all posters here.

A suggestion...don't 'assume', other than to accept that posters here , 99% of the time, have good intentions...as I am sure you do. And remember, context and history show true intentions and meanings....which can't be gleaned in an instant, or an afternoon.

MM

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
implied meanings [Re: MapMaster]
      #63999 - Sat Nov 26 2005 11:28 PM

before nanci's reply i'd seen margie's post and wondered if it would end up being interpreted that way. not very surprising, since it doesn't have the canned sensitivity people are expected to include in their comments when speaking about such things. it's true that making glib or insensitive comments about another's misfortune is callous, but how much sympathy do you really need when you choose to live in a hurricane prone zone? it's not like a random tornado took a chunk out of your house.. over time things like hurricanes happen in florida, on the gulf, here in the carolinas (though not in georgia lately, it seems). do people who move to siberia get sympathy if they complain that it snows too much?
i guess the thing to take home from this is not to sound too excited or amicable about things that bring ruin to others... and not to expect pity from random folks that your dice roll of living on the gulf or southeast coast came up bad. nobody in their right mind is happy about what Katrina did--it's common sense that people feel bad about it. problem is, things are what they are, no matter how you feel about them. confucius say.
HF 232926november

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: implied meanings [Re: HanKFranK]
      #64002 - Sun Nov 27 2005 12:06 AM

Quote:

but how much sympathy do you really need when you choose to live in a hurricane prone zone? it's not like a random tornado took a chunk out of your house.. over time things like hurricanes happen in florida, on the gulf, here in the carolinas (though not in georgia lately, it seems). do people who move to siberia get sympathy if they complain that it snows too much?

Yet at the same time people expect sympathy. When a earthquake happens in California people want support, yet they live in a earthquake prone zone. Whenever Mt. Rainer explodes people of Tacoma, Washington are going to want sympathy, even though sedimentation from previous lahars show that most of Tacoma will be covered in feet of mud.

You don't hear Japanese complaining whenever their country gets hit by an earthquake or a typhoon or a tsunami, yet they experience these things every year or so. In the same way the Dutch deal with their levee problems every decade or so, but never complain - something like 25% of the GDP goes toward their levees. Probably the difference between people that deal with it so regularly they are used to it and those people that think "it's not going to happen to me" and then when it does they bemoan "why me!" There is no area of the US that doesn't have regular dissasters of some sort, so why do we in the US have more problem accepting dissaters than other countries? I've got no clue...

--RC

P.S. I'm not trying to harrass anyone that's experienced any of the dissasters this year, but I have to agree with HF and Margie: If you live in a hurricane prone zone, you should respect nature and not be surprised when it becomes extreme. To call this past year "fascinating" is the utmost in respecting nature in all it's horror.

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged:
Loc: Melbourne, FL
A Fascinating Discussion [Re: Nanci]
      #64003 - Sun Nov 27 2005 12:39 AM

'Fascinating' is indeed a valid word to describe the reason that many folks visit this site. It is, after all, a site for tropical weather enthusiasts to meet and share information. That fascination gets channeled in many different ways, but it does not mean that the folks here are not sensitive - they are very aware of the destruction and agony that a hurricane can inflict upon others. Your assumption was incorrect. Their interests are channeled down many avenues: to learn more about these storms, to share knowledge, to give or seek advice. If most of them were not fascinated by this raw force of Nature, they would not be here and this site would not exist because it would serve no useful purpose. I have been personally involved with these meteorological demons for over 50 years - and I still find them fascinating. I also pick up the pieces of home and property after each storm roars through the local area, and they do too. I curse the loss and the cost and the tragic consequences no matter where the storm hits - and they do too. Don't let your own sensitivity to a single word, misdirect your judgement of how others on this site may feel. We understand where your feelings are coming from - and many here have lost almost everything (except their life) yet they are still here to learn and to help others through shared experiences. Knowledge shared is knowledge gained. Its probably time to bring this particular discussion item to a close and get back to the current activity in the tropics.
Thanks,
ED

Old Sailor
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: implied meanings [Re: Random Chaos]
      #64004 - Sun Nov 27 2005 12:39 AM

I'm 78 years old and been to sea for over 40 years, I have in my life time faced over 30 Hurricanes and Typhoons, so I have seen the tigers eye more then most of you have on here.

I been on this forum for over 2 yrs now, My feeling is that some of you as Just wishcasters looking for excitement in the trill of a storm with no respect for those who go thru a Killer Hurricane they do take lifes and one should learn to respect them and not to hope to see them strike others.

Dave

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sun Nov 27 2005 12:49 AM)

Nanci

Reged:
      #64005 - Sun Nov 27 2005 12:49 AM

I appreciate all the feedback and now i have a better understanding...i think. All i know is my husband and i have lived in Fla for over 20 years and these last two years have been the worst. To top it all off, two days before thanksgiving, i was in a car accident and have been confined to the house - thus my posting on here. My husband posts on here under his username and he told me to check it out. Well, i did just that and read some posts and i guess i got the dander up and i started typing. Damian, my husband, read my post and kind of came down on me for my comments. He said he has lashed out before and he says he was wrong. He warned me about reading too much into others opinions and told me that normally no one intentionally bashes people. I am sorry if it came out that way. All i can say is that yes, we choose to live here so with that said, we have to deal with the weather. No different than people living in California complaining about the earth quakes. If they don't like it, then they should move! Again, my apologies. My husband has raved about this site and said that he has learned a lot from most of you, inlcuding Margie. My husband said i might get on probation or something....how do i know if i am and what does that mean?

(You are not - everyone gets a time or two - just ask your husband )

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sun Nov 27 2005 12:58 AM)

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Bye, bye, Delta! [Re: Nanci]
      #64007 - Sun Nov 27 2005 04:09 AM

I agree with Margie that this has been a fascinating season. Little did I know when this season started we would be hit by a major hurricane this
year. Our area was overdue for one. I have lived on the Gulf Coast all of my life and have followed the storms for a good portion of that time.
I have always found them fascinating. Getting hit by a major hurricane was no fun, however. We evacuated and were gone ten days.
We got our electricity back a lot sooner than many. But Rita was devastating for Southeast Texas with extensive damage.
I was so excited when we got our fence back up. We still don't have the roof fixed yet. Lots of people aren't able to live in their homes. But
hurricanes are something one has to deal with at one time or another if they live on the Gulf Coast. Anyway,
there have been so many records set this season and it has been interesting. I really appreciate this site because I have learned so much from
it. I will continue to follow the storms. Thanks to everyone on this site for their input.

La Nimo
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: st. pete beach
Re: Bye, bye, Delta! [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #64008 - Sun Nov 27 2005 04:34 AM

I disagree with Margie that this has been a fascinating season. it was in bad taste to put it in that form on here,.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Bye, bye, Delta! [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #64009 - Sun Nov 27 2005 07:26 AM

The strong shear over Delta is really firing off the convection tonight. The AQUA-1 scan at 0356Z shows more intense convection than I think I have seen since being named, altho it is displaced a little from the center by the shear.

The low shear over SW Carib now making no difference as all the moisture from the tropical waves moved on into the eastpac, and the entire Carib covered with really dry air.

After all season of watching tropical waves move west on METEOSAT, it is so weird to look at it and watch Delta moving NE.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: Bye, bye, Delta! [Re: La Nimo]
      #64010 - Sun Nov 27 2005 07:33 AM

and with that nugget of wisdom from the always tasteful la nimo, i have an important announcement:
of course 2005 was fascinating--it was a record year. believe it or not, being fascinated by something and liking something are two different things.
a little parallel:
watching the world trade towers fall on september 11th, 2001 was fascinating--i realized i was watching a moment for the ages and a shift in the direction of our nation and world. underneath the anger at the murder of my countrymen, i was aware of these things.
yes, i was utterly fascinated. no, i most definitely did not like it. simple.
margie was fascinated by 2005. i don't remember her jumping with joy when she couldn't talk to her relative in pascagoula, or cheering that people were stranded on rooftops in the big easy, or that hundreds of corpses were floating in the streets.
however, she was fascinated by the unreality of it all. so were you if you came to this site to talk about the goings on. else all you can plead is confusion.
now as mike says, the topic is tropic. not making margie out to be something she isn't. back on topic.
HF 0734z27november

ltpat228
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie FL
Re: Bye, bye, Delta! [Re: HanKFranK]
      #64012 - Sun Nov 27 2005 01:52 PM

For the last 2 years after huricanes in my area, I'd leave a daily message on my voice mail on my cell advising family, friends, etc what conditions were like. Some folks nearby had generators so I kept my cell barely powered up and when the cell company had it's signal, I was able to listen to a few messages at a time. This really relieved all concerned on both ends...especially when I'd get messages from out-of-towners telling me what they viewed on TV enabling me information in my destroyed area.
I personally found it challenging devising and utilizing new ways to keep life simple during the aftermath of a major storm, especially 2 'canes within 3 weeks last year.
What worked best for me and many others was keeping our senses of humor intact.

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Bye, bye, Delta! [Re: ltpat228]
      #64016 - Sun Nov 27 2005 04:01 PM

I have a quick question...

Does the NHC tracking map’s designation of H, S, D, etc, signify the storm's existence as a tropical entity, or merely wind speed? I think I remember reading it was meerly wind intensity, however considering the fact that these maps are discontinued when tropical characteristics are lost, it seems a trifle odd that they would do that.

After all season of watching tropical waves move west on METEOSAT, it is so weird to look at it and watch Delta moving NE.

I concur Margie... (not weird… fascinating!) I saved all the images of the storm deepening last night and made an extended gif. If you would like, I could email it to you for posterity.

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Sun Nov 27 2005 04:07 PM)

dave foster
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: UK
A Sahara Storm? [Re: Lysis]
      #64017 - Sun Nov 27 2005 05:25 PM

Well, who would have believed that at the end of the 2005 Hurricane Season we'd be waiting to see a tropical system land in the Sahara? Now, that's fascination in spades !!

--------------------
Dave Foster
http://www.ascn92.dsl.pipex.com

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: implied meanings [Re: HanKFranK]
      #64019 - Sun Nov 27 2005 05:46 PM

Well, it has been a fascinating season and it was this site that gave me so much information concerning Rita. I appreciate everyone who has
contributed to the site. I wonder if any season can ever top this one.

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: implied meanings [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #64020 - Sun Nov 27 2005 06:34 PM

So, now that the hurricane season is over (I'm optimistic!), what do we do around here until the next one starts? Track blizzards?

ltpat228
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: A Sahara Storm? [Re: dave foster]
      #64021 - Sun Nov 27 2005 06:41 PM

I can't fathom any sort of tropical activity near or in the Sahara.

In my local area on the ocean we're getting up to 30mph gusts today and hurricane debris is still banging and rattling...lol.

The most accurate and reliable information I receive is from my local weather forecasters and The Weather Channel on TV.

I'm tickled most of you posters get a kick out of delving in to and trying to figure out Mother Nature.

She will always be at least 2 paces ahead of you.......

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
      #64022 - Sun Nov 27 2005 06:57 PM

Quote:

So, now that the hurricane season is over (I'm optimistic!), what do we do around here until the next one starts? Track blizzards?

Well, for me it will be finding an online met class or two, so I can get some basics before next summer.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

ltpat228
Storm Tracker

Reged:
What To Do Now..? [Re: Margie]
      #64023 - Sun Nov 27 2005 07:13 PM

2005 -- Season of Broken Records (SOBR...because it's hard to believe, when you are).

Indeed, Margie!

I will still be cleaning up hurricane left overs...lol.

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Bye, bye, Delta! [Re: Lysis]
      #64025 - Sun Nov 27 2005 07:37 PM

The NHC maps don't take into account tropical vs. extratropical. It'd be nice if they did, though, and certainly something they might look into for future seasons. Thus, what we are seeing with Delta is an extratropical system with winds to depression strength making landfall in Morocco. Would be "interesting" to see it make landfall as a tropical cyclone, perhaps bring some rain to areas that could probably use it, but that's probably not likely. Nevertheless, Vince has already done something similar this year -- and thus I've already taken the heat once for cutting off the tracking map we've got in the office at 20 W!

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

dave foster
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: UK
Re: Bye, bye, Delta! [Re: Clark]
      #64026 - Sun Nov 27 2005 08:05 PM

Looks like Delta might be planning on going out with a fanfare.

According to the latest vis satellite image on Navymil it now has winds of 60kts, pressure 982mb...

--------------------
Dave Foster
http://www.ascn92.dsl.pipex.com

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 90 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 35969

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center