F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Bye, bye, Delta!
      #64011 - Sun Nov 27 2005 08:46 AM

I found this interesting article and if it is not off topic I would like to ask a question with it being 3 days from the official end of the Hurricane Season.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/26/AR2005112600355_pf.html

This article refers to the differing opinions on Global warming and weather patterns. Is there any possibility that the intensity of the storms are being measured largely by impact on populated areas and dollars rather than scientific intensity? (No, every storm is categorized by measured or scientifically estimated intensity) We were given Delta's statistics of a 982 mb low. Was that a surface low? (Yes) What level of the atmosphere was this 982mb found? (At the surface - or very close to it) What would its impact have been on a populated area? ( This question really can't be answered, because too many other factors are involved. At its peak, Delta was a very strong tropical storm. How fast was it moving when it hit your hypothetical populated area? Did it dump 3 inches of rain or 30 inches? Was the terrain in this area elevated or flat?)

I asked more than one question but, amid the hype and at the season's end(hopefully) those of us who do not thoroughly understand hurricane and global warming theories would like to know if this storm season is really going to end this year. (Yes, it will end - and probably very soon. Every season does because the ocean cools and the westerlies dip south and eliminate the upper atmospheric conditions that are favorable for development. While it is true that storms have been recorded in every month, they are rare events from December through April.)

(post moved to proper Forum, short answers provided, and some off-topic material removed)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sun Nov 27 2005 09:20 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Bye, bye, Delta! [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #64018 - Sun Nov 27 2005 12:43 PM

Thanks for the answers I really was not sure where it belonged after I got through writing it.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Lysis
User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Bye, bye, Delta! [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #64024 - Sun Nov 27 2005 02:25 PM

They have a link to the ACE indicies for each storm, and then a tally, at the ncdc website... and there is a graph you may like to see. Lemme check to see if I can find it.

EDIT: Here:

http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/img/climate/research/2005/nov/atlantic-ace-oct31.gif

and here:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/2005/2005-atlantic-trop-cyclones.html

We had a lot of minimal tropical storms (gert, lee, tammy, etc), but at the same time some insane heavy hitters (emily, Rita, Wilma, etc) that will invariably skew the data a bit.

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Sun Nov 27 2005 02:49 PM)

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Israel
Re: Bye, bye, Delta! [Re: Lysis]
      #64034 - Sun Nov 27 2005 07:01 PM

There have been tropical storms in January-March? I personally have never heard it and I thought, was it Subtropical storm Ana a few years back in April, that was the earliest forming cyclone in the atlantic on record?

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: Bye, bye, Delta! [Re: CaneTrackerInSoFl]
      #64035 - Sun Nov 27 2005 08:07 PM

odd systems:
Hurricane Alice 2, December 1954-January 1955. Hit the Caribbean on January 2.
Subtropical Storm, January 1978. Formed on January 18.
Tropical Storm 1, February 1952-- crossed southern Florida on February 3 .
Hurricane 1, March 1908--moved through the Caribbean, crossed the islands on March 8.
TS Ana, April 2003. Formed on April 20.
Subtropical Storm, April 1992. Formed on April 21.

Tropical systems are rare outside of June-November, and very rare outside of May-December, but have been known to occur when they aren't supposed to.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5026

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center