F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Bob Ryan

Reged: Sat
Hurricane modification.
      #64242 - Sat Dec 10 2005 06:19 AM

I found this website while looking for an answer to a question, so I'll ask it here. Since a hurricane is "fueled" by low pressure, and the winds in a hurricane are caused by the low pressure, is it possible to set off a bomb in a hurricane to raise the pressure and reduce the winds? Since the USAF has the "Mother of All Bombs," an "overpressure bomb", would setting that off, out over water, reduce the intensity of the low pressure, the winds, and the hurricane? How about even setting off a small hydrogen (thermonuclear) bomb in a hurricane while it was still out over water, if it could be done with a bomb with little or no radioactive residue? I'm sure this hasn't been tried yet, but could someone tell me why this reasoning is faulty, if it is?

(This question has been asked before - more than once. A tropical cyclone is 'fueled' by warm water, not low pressure, so dropping a bomb would simply add fuel to the storm. Even if it did work, is it worth the nuclear fallout, dead and contaminated sealife, etc., to deter one hurricane? I think not. This issue has been discussed to the Nth degree in the past and I'd rather not revive it again.)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sat Dec 10 2005 11:05 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WonderDog
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane modification. [Re: Bob Ryan]
      #64247 - Sat Dec 10 2005 06:20 PM

2004 hurricanes Charley, Francis and Jeanne intersected over the town of Homeland Florida withing about six weeks time. I thought this might be evidence that storms are already being steered. Perhaps it's a sign of somebody's sense of humor? According to Skeetobite the NHC in Jan/2005 moved all three hurricane tracks about five miles to the East. Why?

(Political implications removed)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sun Dec 11 2005 11:42 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3422

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center