F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
MapMaster
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Re: Merry Christmas No Hurricanes! [Re: MapMaster]
      #64316 - Fri Dec 30 2005 10:52 AM

Even has an eye...def a sts, possibly ts, I'd say...hope someone there at NHC will pick up on this....

MM

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sat
Loc: Maryland
Re: Zeta? [Re: MapMaster]
      #64317 - Fri Dec 30 2005 10:55 AM

Quote:

Looks like ZETA to me, moving nnw...or maybe it will be Alberto...

That's an interesting question...if a storm spans the change of year, does it get both names?

MapMaster
Weather Guru

Re: Zeta? [Re: Random Chaos]
      #64318 - Fri Dec 30 2005 11:00 AM

Nope...if it forms in 2005, ZETA....if in 2006 , Alberto...it'll be one name or the other.

I realy do wonder if the folks at NHC are at work today...they probably are....it should have been classified already, IMHO...hope htis doesn't slip through the cracks....even if it does, I bet it will be post op classified.

MM

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Tropical Storm Zeta [Re: MapMaster]
      #64319 - Fri Dec 30 2005 11:14 AM

Special tropical statement just issued! Advisory will be issued in about an hour.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIADSAAT+shtml/301605.shtml?

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: oh man... [Re: Random Chaos]
      #64320 - Fri Dec 30 2005 11:22 AM

Well, I am so new at this I didn't want to appear like a wishcaster and post, you know, oh, Zeta, before the end of the year, but I think it was about three days ago, or so, I starting thinking it would be possible, and then they mentioned it the very next day on the TWD, as possible. You know every day I have been trying to read the TWD and learning to spot various weather features on the sat images, and this is not the first cutoff low since that one that formed right after Epsilon that fizzled out; I've been watching all Dec. But it seemed to me that this one had more of a chance because (and this could be absolutely wrong because I am only really starting to understand the big picture) the weather pattern in the US has shifted a bit in the last part of this month.

I am not seeing much shear on the visual, but doesn't convection tend to be more shallow with these systems.

Yesterday you could see the surface low on quickscat to the SW, but couldn't see that on visible or IR (I can't bring up quickscat right now).

It is really pulling together so much faster than I thought possible. Yesterday I was thinking like Clark that time had pretty much run out, and that I'd (once again) made a wrong assumption thinking this one had more of a chance. But there it is. If it does make it to TS status, it would be so completely symmetric, in some abstract way, and appropriate for the season.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Re: Tropical Storm Zeta [Re: Random Chaos]
      #64321 - Fri Dec 30 2005 11:22 AM

SSD Floater 1 has been moved to Zeta. Zeta doesn't look as good now as it did an hour ago.

Oh, this means that we can now say we've had every storm from A to Z

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

#64322 - Fri Dec 30 2005 11:24 AM

Quote:

Special tropical statement just issued! Advisory will be issued in about an hour.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIADSAAT+shtml/301605.shtml?

Oh my gosh!

Well now I guess it is ok if I get excited about anticipating this earlier in the week! Whoohoo.

---

RC - I wouldn't say that...convection is migrating towards the center from the bands to the east. Growing pains.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Edited by Margie (Fri Dec 30 2005 11:33 AM)

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Re: Tropical Storm Zeta [Re: Margie]
      #64323 - Fri Dec 30 2005 11:29 AM

You realize it is all MikeC's fault, right? He started this thread with the topic "No hurricanes"

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
Re: oh man... [Re: Margie]
      #64324 - Fri Dec 30 2005 11:38 AM

To me, I didn't think it could make the quantum leap (in organization) that it did overnight and sustain it long enough to be classified as a bonafide threat -- yet alone a tropical storm. There's another trough to its west heading toward the vicinity of Zeta, though it looks like the bulk of it may be trying to lift north around the storm. I'll be interested to see what the NHC package has to say; my best guess is about 1-2 days of longevity with a slow motion to the NW at first replaced by a track toward the northeast thereafter.

Shear values were initially pretty bad for development -- 60 or 65kt from 850-200mb -- but as the upper-low "built down" to the surface (or at least helped spawn, in some manner, a surface feature) and started to devleop there, the vertical shear values dropped. They now sit in the vicinity of 20kt, which is much more favorable (and not uncommon). The development of Zeta is similar to the other three out there, with some subtle differences -- perhaps with a taste of the "forming on the NE side in the diffluent region of an upper-low" scenario that we saw with some of the western Atlantic's storms.

Nevertheless, I'm glad I didn't say zero percent chance a few days ago -- turns out to be 100%. I love tropical activity that affects no one as much as the next person, but this is just crazy! I certainly hope that every deep-latitude trough in the eastern Atlantic doesn't continue to spawn these features as we move into 2006; they are pretty common features for winter and spring out that way. I'm still a bit surprised by this development, so I'll try to spend some time figuring out why we've got it later today.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

MapMaster
Weather Guru

#64325 - Fri Dec 30 2005 11:43 AM

Franklin (junior guy) on the job!
MM

MapMaster
Weather Guru

#64326 - Fri Dec 30 2005 11:44 AM

LOL..I thought the same thing!

MM

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
Re: Tropical Storm Zeta [Re: MapMaster]
      #64329 - Fri Dec 30 2005 11:55 AM

Went ahead and created a new thread -- this season threw curve balls at us from June 1 all the way through December 31, so given that we're likely going to go near the New Year with a tropical storm, it's worth it to have a new thread for that.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Re: Tropical Storm Zeta [Re: MapMaster]
      #64330 - Fri Dec 30 2005 12:13 PM

Quote:

Franklin (junior guy) on the job!
MM

Hey! He has written a lot of good stuff, and makes the good calls as well.

--------------------

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: Tropical Storm Zeta [Re: Margie]
      #64332 - Fri Dec 30 2005 01:40 PM

well yeah... but he does have some revision to go see to. the hurricane epsilon post-analysis came out just a few days after the storm went out, and he began the report by calling it the last system of the 2005 season. i remember thinking "man, do you feel safe saying that in 2005?"
checked jeff masters' blog. he thinks that if it can scrape under the first bout of shear that it'll get into a supportive environment in early january and perhaps persist a few days until the next trough comes at it. not much of a way to tell, since these shallow systems are sometimes more shear-resistant than expected, but it can just as easily be ripped asunder in the face of the oncoming shear.
next thing i'm wondering is if we have more in the way of out-of-season activity coming up during the winter. it's almost like the north atlantic and north pacific switched roles this year.
HF 1839z30december

Edited by HanKFranK (Fri Dec 30 2005 01:44 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 229 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 23639

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center