F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

General Discussion >> Other Storm Basins

Pages: 1
Spoken
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
All Quiet on the Western Front
      #65079 - Wed May 03 2006 10:06 PM

If anyone cares to take a break (from watching anything likely of any concern to landlubbers like me) there seems to be a cluster of thunderstorms in the East Pacific with a center of sorts near 8N 107W. And it's only three days into the East Pacific hurricane season no less. Granted it's hardly the area's most impressive looking convection for the week. But it does appear to be getting a little more organized, with a sort of 'war bonnet' or plumed hat shape in the later satellite images.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/epac-ir4-loop.html

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: All Quiet on the Western Front [Re: Spoken]
      #65080 - Thu May 04 2006 12:26 AM Attachment (309 downloads)

Quote:

a cluster of thunderstorms in the East Pacific with a center of sorts near 8N 107W.

From the eastpac 5pm TWD:

"AN UPPER TROUGH AXIS EXTENDS FROM THE COAST OF MEXICO NEAR 18N103W SW TO 5N115W WITH DIFFLUENCE EXTENDING E TO ABOUT 95W. A LARGE AREA OF DEEP CONVECTION IS LOCATED NEAR THE ITCZ BENEATH THIS DIFFLUENCE ZONE...BUT THE BULK OF THE FORCING APPEARS TO BE DUE TO STRONG LOW-LEVEL SPEED/DIRECTIONAL CONVERGENCE AXES. INCIDENTALLY...THE GFS DEVELOPS AN AREA OF LOW PRES FROM THIS CONVECTIVE MASS WITHIN THE NEXT 48-72 HRS...BUT THE GFS ENSEMBLE ONLY SHOWS A WELL-DEFINED TROUGH FOR NOW. "

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
      #65081 - Thu May 04 2006 03:48 AM

no, they're still preseason over there. eastpac kicks off on may 15. the earliest storm in the hurdat records for the eastpac is alma from 1990, which spun up on may 12 of that year.
HF 0348z04may

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: All Quiet on the Western Front [Re: HanKFranK]
      #65086 - Thu May 04 2006 08:22 PM

Saw this in the news today:

"Cuba's National Weather Institute predicted on Tuesday that there will be an above-average 15 tropical storms this year, and at least nine are expected to become hurricanes.

That's because water temperatures in the Atlantic-Caribbean basin remain warm and there is no sign of a counteracting El Nino phenomenon in the Pacific, said Cuban forecaster Maritza Ballester. The first storm will form in late June or early July, she predicted, with three arising in the Gulf of Mexico.

"Everything points to an active season," said Ballester, developer of a mathematical model for predicting hurricanes."

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: All Quiet on the Western Front [Re: Margie]
      #65087 - Thu May 04 2006 09:11 PM

Deleted by Moderator

Edited by Storm Cooper (Fri May 05 2006 01:33 AM)

Spoken
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: All Quiet on the Western Front [Re: HanKFranK]
      #65143 - Fri May 12 2006 09:19 PM

Quote:

no, they're still preseason over there. eastpac kicks off on may 15. the earliest storm in the hurdat records for the eastpac is alma from 1990, which spun up on may 12 of that year.
HF 0348z04may

Thanks for the correction!

Speaking of may 12 and alma, if you've got sufficient bandwidth for the SSD's apparently new 15 frame loops, take a look at what's currently showing on IR Channel 4.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/watl/loop-avn.html

Ay Carumba!

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #65146 - Fri May 12 2006 09:32 PM Attachment (285 downloads)

I was checking out the new sat loops just yesterday evening - nice huh. I hadn't seen the "Rainbow" colorway before and maybe it's from coming of age in the late 60s / early 70s but I have to admit to being a little partial to it (attached an image of the impressive closed low that is currently parked over Lake Michigan and the assoc trough, bringing 40-degree rainy weather all day to MSP, but I didn't mind it as much after seeing it on the Rainbow IR).

But I couldn't get the eastpac tropical ones to work yesterday ( http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/trop-epac.html ). They are working now, but too far west for that convection around 95-100W.

That convection moved north since yesterday evening when it was, I think, south of 5N, and just part of the ITCZ. It is mentioned in the aft eastpac TWD:

"A 1008 MB SURFACE LOW MOVING W ABOUT 10-15 KT IS ANALYZED NEAR 8N97W. SCATTERED STRONG CONVECTION IN ASSOCIATION WITH THE LOW IS NOTED FROM 5N-11N BETWEEN 97W-100W. "

Also -- in a news article from the Daytona Beach News Journal on the Florida Governor's Hurricane Conference which occured this week:

The one lesson learned after every land-falling hurricane, National Hurricane Center director Max Mayfield said, is that people who have disaster plans and execute them fare much better.

Mayfield said he could think of "no greater tribute" to Katrina victims than having people prepared this year.

That includes making sure officials don't hesitate to call evacuations if necessary, he said.

"Some people in Louisiana played Russian roulette," he said. "The stakes are too high to not do the right thing and call for evacuations in the hurricane area."

I wondered if that was regarding Nagin's failure to issue the mandatory evac until only hours before winds picked up in NOLA on Sunday.

And this was nice to read (it was true about FL helping out -- FEMA didn't show up in Jackson County for 10 days, and FL teams were there to help with S&R as soon as the roads could be cleared to get in).

Bush choked up for several seconds while talking about the gratitude of Mississippi officials for all the assistance received from Florida counties and cities last year.

"It was an unusual and incredible response," Bush said. "They said: 'It was like the cavalry coming in. They actually saved our lives.' "

Edited by Margie (Sat May 13 2006 01:12 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5257

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center