F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Lenny

Reged: Sun
Moving to So. Florida
      #65605 - Sun Jun 04 2006 04:03 PM

Hi all,

I am a Southern California Native. (Lived here all my life) and I am in the Yacht business. I just accepted a job offer from a Yacht Manufacturer located in Miami. I want to move to the Broward County area. I have been told that Pembroke Pines is a good area to live and am considering renting then buying a home possibly there.

My question is, I have never experienced a Hurricane, just earthquakes. I don't know much about the safer areas or storm damage prone (wind/flood) areas in or near Pembroke Pines. I am coming to Florida within a week to look for a place to live before I move there on or around July 1 2006.

I am hoping some of you experienced people can school me a bit so I have more knowledge when looking for a place.

Thanks in advance,

Lenny

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Israel
Re: Moving to So. Florida [Re: Lenny]
      #65607 - Sun Jun 04 2006 04:22 PM

For some reason, Broward rarely gets hit by hurricanes. I think its just luck of the draw. But Pembroke Pines is a pretty nice area to move to.

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

Perry

Loc: Douglasville, Georgia
      #65612 - Sun Jun 04 2006 08:24 PM

Major hurricanes to make a direct hit on Broward county, Florida since 1870:

August 1871
August 1888
September 1926 (cat 4)
September 1928 (cat 4)
September 1933
September 1947 (cat 4)
August 1949
October 1950 ("King")

Major hurricanes to make a direct hit on Dade county, Florida since 1870:

August 1888
October 1906
September 1926 (cat 4)
September 1929
September 1945 (listed as cat 3; likely cat-4 based on my research)
October 1950 ("King")
September 1965 ("Betsy")
August 1992 (cat 5 "Andrew")

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/southernwx

ltpat228
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Port Saint Lucie FL
      #65614 - Sun Jun 04 2006 08:47 PM

I am a native Floridian for almost 53 years.
I am born and raised in Broward County and know it well.
Pembroke Pines is quite nice with a low crime rate.
One of my dear friends with the Miami-Dade Police Department has lived in PP for years and just loves it!
As far as storms in that area....Wilma caused major damage to certain areas in Broward, especially Wilton Manors and northern Broward County. Electricity was out for over 1 month in many locales as well as 100's of traffic lights and poles were broken and strewn in the streets.
I am a Floridian.
We have hurricanes.
I have endured almost 53 years of these storms.
No sweat...ha ha.

native
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Loc: SE Florida
Re: Moving to So. Florida [Re: ltpat228]
      #65624 - Mon Jun 05 2006 09:03 AM

Lenny,

First off, congrats on your job...must have been quite an offer to persuade you to move out of SoCal...love it there...sister lives in Mission Viejo, neice goes to San Diego State. Just magnificent!

As for FL...born and raised here...35 years now. While I don't like hurricanes (or TS for that matter)...it's just a part of life here...much like the earthquakes in CA...here though, you have time to prepare, always! While these past couple of years we've seen more action that usual, typically, 10 months outta the year it's absolute paradise (if you don't mind the heat & humidity)

Anywhere now in SoFLA is crowded...I used to live out west in Ft. Lauderdale and now live east in Deerfield Beach. Pembroke Pines is a really nice area. The city does a great job of keeping it clean and fresh looking. Things to consider when moving here....if you live WEST of I-95...your homeowners insurance (if you can find someone willing to provide it to you) will include winstorm "hurricane" coverage as part of the policy (the deductible is separate from other losses such as fire or theft) and is pretty steep. EAST of I-95 you have to purchase separate windstorm coverage and it's not cheap (may require another loan just to pay for it!) Where in Miami will you work...if it's with a Yachting Co...I'm guessing it's east....traffic in SoFLA (especially Miami) is horrible (not quite as bad as the 405 though) going from west to east and north to south would not be my first choice...you may want to consider that, maybe get more "in-line" with your commute such as just having to go north/south or west/east but not both! You'll be a raving lunatic by summer's end and then "season" will come (with the snow birds) and traffic increases significantly until they leave again in the late spring.

Just thoughts to consider.

As for Pembroke Pines though...it's a beautiful city with great schools. You have easy access to where ever you may want to be....Ft. Lauderdale via I-595 East, Miami via I-75 South, Naples/Ft. Myers (only an hour & a half drive) I-75 North, or Palm Beach County via Sawgrass East or Turnpike North. It's a wonderfully centrally located city with lots to offer!

Lenny

Re: Moving to So. Florida [Re: native]
      #65630 - Mon Jun 05 2006 12:42 PM

Hey thanks for all the good info.
My new job is with Ferretti Group now located where the Bertram Yacht factory is (near Miami Int'l airport)

I am thinking of moving to Pembroke Pines or Weston.

I am an avid boater and diver so I am looking forward to the cleaner and warmer Florida waters.

saluki
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FL
      #65639 - Mon Jun 05 2006 05:26 PM

Hi, Lenny. A tip if you decide to buy a home here -- look for something built to post-Hurricane Andrew codes. These, I believe, were instituted in 1994. Pines and Weston have a lot of new construction, so it shouldn't be a problem. If you do look at older construction, make sure it has been retrofitted with hurricane shutters or impact-resistant glass and a reinforced garage door (we just installed one that's supposed to be good up to 170 mph winds; hopefully it's never put to the test). You'll get discounts (albeit relatively small ones) on homeowners/windstorm insurance and your home will be protected. Finally, look for an area with underground utilities (I think Weston falls into this category). They're less prone to outages in storms and service is restored faster. Hope this helps, and good luck in South Florida!

Lenny

Re: Moving to So. Florida [Re: saluki]
      #65640 - Mon Jun 05 2006 05:38 PM

Great advice !!

Thanks

Mike V
Weather Watcher

Loc: Cape Coral, FL
      #65650 - Tue Jun 06 2006 09:51 PM

Lenny:

Traffic from Pembroke Pines to the airport area (I know very well where Bertram is) is horrendous down here. One thing you need to understand is that there are no rules here when it comes to driving. They are more civilized in Broward, but Dade has become a free for all.

You are probably looking at a 1 to 1.5 hr commute in lots of stop and go traffic on the freeways.

Mike V
Location in the northern eye wall of Andrew, 1 mile from the coast.

--------------------
Donna, Betsy, Cleo, George, Floyd, David, ANDREW (Eye wall adventure), Wilma, Katrina, Irma, Ian flood adventure.

Lenny

Re: Moving to So. Florida [Re: Mike V]
      #65652 - Tue Jun 06 2006 10:55 PM

Sounds like driving in Los Angeles.

madmumbler
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: SWFL
Re: Moving to So. Florida [Re: saluki]
      #65852 - Fri Jun 09 2006 09:41 PM

Quote:

Finally, look for an area with underground utilities (I think Weston falls into this category). They're less prone to outages in storms and service is restored faster. Hope this helps, and good luck in South Florida!

I live in Rotonda, it was started about 30 years ago and isn't built out yet. Our utilities are underground, just a few feeder lines are above ground. After Charley, I thought for sure we'd be in the dark for days. Our power was on at 5:30 am the next morning. Amazing!

--------------------
Lesli in SWFL.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7674

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center