F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Site Updates, Suggestions and Questions

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Server Move Coming up
      #67774 - Thu Jul 06 2006 07:03 PM

John and I are flying up to Newport News, VA a week from saturday (July 15-16) to move the Primary Flhurricane server to Orlando, eventually to a higher speed data center here. Sometime next week, flhurricane will move to a temporary hosted location, and off the regular primary server. There will be a small amount of downtime while we flip over the database.

It will remaing on the temporary host (not all features will work while on here) until we redo the server here and set it up in it's new location.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Server Move Coming up [Re: MikeC]
      #67797 - Fri Jul 07 2006 07:36 AM

This move is turning out to be fairly expensive, but needs to be done. I rarely do this, but if you'd like to help out, take a look at the Site Donations page on the left. Or just click here. And you can help defray the cost of operating the site. This move involves flights, new contracts, new hardware, and more money than I've ever spent on the site before (roughly 8000), but it is necessary to stop interruptions and deal with the hosting situation as it is now.

The primary server is being moved to Orlando, in the meantime a backup server will be utilized that may have reduced features or may be a bit slower than normal. That situation could last up to two weeks (hopefully sooner) once saturday the 15th rolls around.

Thanks!

Donation goal #1 % reached so far for 2006: 100.00%

Edited by MikeC (Tue Aug 01 2006 12:03 PM)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

#68015 - Thu Jul 13 2006 07:34 PM

The move is occuring this weekend, we are preparing the temporary sever now, and flhurricane will switch to the temporary server tomorrow night. Thanks to the folks at Skip link http://www.skiplink.com for hosting the temporary site, and will be a new partner in the image server network as well.

Atlantic.net will be the new central location for flhurricane, this is located in Orlando, FL, not far from my office and is in a very well built and redundant facility. They advertise as being hurricane proof, and what better way to prove it than by running a hurricane related website out of it. We will be flying to Newport News, VA this weekend to retrieve the flhurricane servers, then move them to Florida. Hopefully by mid week everything will be back to normal, but on a much better hosting link.

Lots of small changes will happen, if something is broken or acting weird, let us know and we'll try to fix it.

Edited by MikeC (Thu Jul 13 2006 09:41 PM)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

#68049 - Sat Jul 15 2006 10:26 PM

First phase of the server move is complete. Flhurricane is now running on the skiplink server temporarily. The Newport News primary server is down, and will be transferred to Florida this week. (I am currently in Newport News with John).

Downtime tonight was about 40 minutes (may be longer for some DNS to move over)

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
      #68052 - Sat Jul 15 2006 10:58 PM

Only thing I'm noticing is when I submit a post. I get a grey page with 3 different, short in time, fail messages. Screen then refreshes and the post is there.
Beats me ...but it's working.

Something about a "failed to open stream: No such file or directory ".
and a "supplied argument is not a valid stream resource" . Too fast to screen capture.

Edited by danielw (Sat Jul 15 2006 11:02 PM)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Server Move Coming up [Re: danielw]
      #68088 - Sun Jul 16 2006 08:58 PM

Quote:

Something about a "failed to open stream: No such file or directory ".
and a "supplied argument is not a valid stream resource" . Too fast to screen capture.

This should be fixed now..

Also down temporarily is snonut, webcams, and certain parts of email.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

#68129 - Mon Jul 17 2006 06:37 PM

Archives are down in the transition period, they will be back when the site resumes operation on the regular server at the new location.

All the donations made were greatly appreciated, it has helped defray some of the costs of operating the site.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

#68160 - Tue Jul 18 2006 10:58 AM

Note due to issues with the server move, the images for TD#2 on the left and top right satellite picture are not updating (temporary host does not support some needed functionality for it). This will be fixed when the final server move occurs Tomorrow or Thursday. Apologies in advance.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

#68240 - Wed Jul 19 2006 08:27 PM

The server is up in the new location now, but the site is still running off the backup until we run checks on it.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

#68306 - Fri Jul 21 2006 11:01 PM

The server move is now finished, we are now running on our server colocated in orlando.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Goal Reached [Re: MikeC]
      #68749 - Tue Aug 01 2006 11:06 AM

The first Donation Goal was Reached August 1st, which was 1/4 of the costs of running flhurricane for the year. Thanks all.

Now That that is done, I'm going for 1/2 the cost as the next goal. See the Donation Link to help out. Each year the cost of running the site increases, unfortunately, this year has been a big change, moving into better facilities and newer equipment, as well as all the help from the image server hosts we've gotten.

Thanks all!

Goal II 2006 Completion: 57.77%

Edited by MikeC (Sun Sep 03 2006 10:16 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, MikeC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6844

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center