F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> The Tropics Today

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Weather456
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sun
Tropics Today
      #68297 - Fri Jul 21 2006 09:14 AM

Tropics
In the tropics, there are 4 tropical waves along 20 west, along 44 west, along 57 west and along 85 west. All waves are generally south of 22 north and are moving west at about 6 degrees longitude per day. The wave along 20 west has a small low pressure area with a swirl of clouds near 14 north. However, close up visible satellite images show African Dust wrapped around this feature. This will limit any thunderstorm development around the feature and could cause it to fall apart. The other waves look too weak and disorganized for development anytime soon. Computer forecasts show no signs of any features developing in the tropical Atlantic within the next few days.

An upper-level low located near 31 north and 70 west continues to track northward on the southwest side of the Atlantic surface high pressure ridge. No development with this weakening feature anytime soon.

Tropical Storm Beryl
A cold front moved off the East Coast of the United States in mid-July and dissipated while stalled across the western Atlantic Ocean. Two areas of low pressure developed along the dissipating front; one centered 290 miles south-southeast of Cape Cod and another located 200 miles south of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina. The first low quickly organized, though the National Hurricane Center considered development unlikely due to it moving over colder waters. The other area of low pressure initially remained broad and ill-defined. However, the system rapidly organized early on July 18 with improved banding features, and the area developed into Tropical Depression Two while located 220 miles (355 km) south-southeast of Cape Hatteras. The depression quickly organized as it moved slowly to the north-northwest, and strengthened into Tropical Storm Beryl six hours after forming.
The low-level circulation became exposed with limited deep convection on the night of July 18, though deep convection developed the following morning. Beryl maintained its northward motion due to a ridge of high pressure to its east as the storm developed deep convection and outflow improved. Warm waters allowed the storm to reach peak winds of 60 mph late on July 19 while located east of the North Carolina/Virginia state border.
Tropical Storm Beryl maintained that intensity as it parelelled the Mid-Atlantic and New Jersey, but weakened due to cooler waters on July 20.

As of 5 a.m. EDT on July 21 (0900 UTC), Tropical Storm Beryl was located 35 miles (55 km) northeast of Nantucket, Massachusetts and 365 miles (590 km) west-southwest of Halifax, Nova Scotia. It had maximum sustained winds of 50 mph (85 km/h), with higher gusts, and was moving toward the northeast at about 21 mph (33 km/h). The minimum central pressure was 1001 mbar (29.52 inHg). It is estimated that Tropical Storm force winds extend up to 85 miles (140 km) outward from the center. The storm is forecast to lose its tropical characteristics within 24 hours as it moves to the northeast.

Figure 1: Location of Varoius Tropical Features on July 21, 2006

Figure 2: Tropical Formation based on Wind Shear, Dry Air and Sea Suface Temperatures

Figure 3: Tropical Storm Beryl on July 19, 2006

--------------------
Weather456

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Nateball
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Loc: Tarpon Springs FL
Re: Tropics Today [Re: Weather456]
      #68300 - Fri Jul 21 2006 12:57 PM

My local met last night was talking about keeping an eye on the GOM closer to the west coast of FL for a possible low in the next 24 to 48 hours, there Titan model was showing something. Any comments?

Weather456
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sun
Re: Tropics Today [Re: Nateball]
      #68301 - Fri Jul 21 2006 01:11 PM

yep, the models are forecasting something in the gulf, but i dont see it in the near future, if so it will probally originate from the feature near Florida

--------------------
Weather456

Tak
Weather Watcher

Reged: Tue
Loc: Altamonte Springs, FL
Re: Tropics Today [Re: Weather456]
      #68307 - Sat Jul 22 2006 08:44 AM

456, you put out a great snapshot summary and graphics. Visualization is everything. The only way it could get better would be if you could somehow show a 3D representation of troughs, ridges, significant air masses and features. Thanks.

HURRICANELONNY
Weather Guru

Reged: Sat
Loc: HOLLYWOOD,FL.
Re: Tropics Today [Re: Tak]
      #68315 - Sat Jul 22 2006 06:23 PM

What's amazing is looking at the SAL with correlation to tropical moisture. Wherever the SAL isn't tropical moisture/ clonds are:http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-time/wavetrak/winds/m8g10split.html.
I don't have a link to last years SAL compared to this year at this time but I'm sure it was some what less.

Storm Cooper
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Links [Re: HURRICANELONNY]
      #68344 - Mon Jul 24 2006 09:24 AM

There was some discussion of bouy data, SLP etc... this may not be new to some but is sort of a "one stop" for bouy data...

http://www.oceanweather.com/data/

...click the GOM then marine obs...

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, MikeC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7230

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center