F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Other Weather Events

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
conjecture
      #68831 - Tue Aug 01 2006 05:43 PM

forecast here next week is for more very hot weather. if there's, say, a hurricane chris going by to the south while the upper heights here are really high (like, H50 heights above 594dm)... got a hunch we'll see some record heat over much of the southeast.
HF 2143z01august

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
Re: conjecture [Re: HanKFranK]
      #68890 - Tue Aug 01 2006 09:56 PM

Only hope for not seeing that is if the ridge axis shifts to near the spine of the Appalachians and allows some relatively cooler air to funnel south down the mountains and into the southeast. That might be the difference between 95 and 100....or, it could have the opposite effect, bringing in a lot of relatively drier air and leading to an even stronger heat surge. Nevertheless, it's likely to be a hot one for the next week or so with no relief in sight.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Marknole
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sun
Loc: Wacissa, FL
Re: conjecture [Re: Clark]
      #68893 - Tue Aug 01 2006 10:06 PM

An August "wedge"? I can understand a subsidence effect from being on the dry side of a cyclone to the south, but aren't record-setting, triple-digit temps predicted for the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast, and wouldn't that air mass be drawn south into the Big Bend (Clark and myself) and the S.C. Midlands (Hank)? Please explain...

ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Loc:
Re: conjecture [Re: Marknole]
      #68902 - Tue Aug 01 2006 10:40 PM

Yeah, to some degree it would. But also, you'd get a fetch off of the Atlantic ocean carried inland, providing a bit of a moderating effect (but also more moisture). It really ould go either way...depends on the exact orientation of the flow.

--------------------

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: conjecture [Re: Clark]
      #68937 - Wed Aug 02 2006 03:14 AM

if we get an afternoon with a near 600 dm H50 ridge centered over tennessee or north alabama, and the northwest flow from it downslopes from the appalachians into the piedmont and upper coastal plain... pair that with hurricane subsidence and the fairly dry SOIl moisture content here.. you're talking 105 easy.
last time i've seen temps like that was august 1, 1999. got to 107 up the road in augusta.
HF 0714z02august

ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Loc:
Re: conjecture [Re: HanKFranK]
      #68978 - Wed Aug 02 2006 09:57 AM

Yeah, that's what you don't want to see. Not sure about the chances on that one, though, not if Chris is to continue a steady march to the WNW -- think the axis might be a bit further east, or at least just elongated across the eastern 2/3 of the US.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5711

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center