F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Other Storm Basins

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
cieldumortModerator

Reged: Mon
Loc: Austin, Tx
East Pac Ileana - Potential Coastal Baja threat -
      #70437 - Tue Aug 22 2006 08:11 PM

While still listed as a 65 knot Cat 1, by all appearances, Ileana is already at least pushing Cat 2, and could readily become a major hurricane by morning. This hurricane may pose a serious threat to the southern and southwestern Baja, with Dr. Lyons already anticipating 15-20 foot waves in those areas.

Model guidance suggests that she may either:

1) Head northwest, well-away from land

2) Head just a little east of northwest, then more north-northwest, and possibly bring squally rainbands and hurricane-force winds onshore - along with high waves out to sea and possibly surge inland

3) A few models have strongly suggested that a still strong and powerful Ileana pushes right up the west coast of the Baja for a bit and/or right up inside the Gulf of Baja - such a strong tropical cyclone following either one of these routes could also impact Southern California and/or Arizona/Nevada with some rains and maybe some winds

Visible Image from Aug. 22 at 2330Z

Official NHC "Cone of Uncertainty" (Pleas note time stamp)

Additionally, Storm Cooper has been very graciously including the most recent model runs below

Edited by cieldumort (Wed Aug 23 2006 10:42 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Storm Cooper
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: *Rapidly* Intensifying East Pac Ileana - Baja, Ca. threat - *DELETED* [Re: cieldumort]
      #70439 - Tue Aug 22 2006 08:25 PM

Post deleted by Storm Cooper

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

cieldumortModerator

Re: *Rapidly* Intensifying East Pac Ileana - Baja, Ca. threat - [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #70441 - Tue Aug 22 2006 08:37 PM

Much appreciated. The two very respectable models that have been suggesting moving Ileana along or into the Baja may not be there, from the looks of it, however.

These are primarily the FSU MM5 and GFDL.

--------------------
Fully vaccinated as of May 2021
(Moderna x2)

Storm Cooper
User

Re: *Rapidly* Intensifying East Pac Ileana - Baja, Ca. threat - [Re: cieldumort]
      #70442 - Tue Aug 22 2006 08:46 PM

If you look close the GFDL is there. The FSU MM5 like all the Global models I have to "draw" in and takes time so I only do them for the Atlantic side.... I will try to list the models by color later down the road....

--------------------

Edited by Storm Cooper (Tue Aug 22 2006 08:47 PM)

cieldumortModerator

Re: *Rapidly* Intensifying East Pac Ileana - Baja, Ca. threat - [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #70445 - Tue Aug 22 2006 08:51 PM

I need glasses!

Ok, found the GFDL, thank you.

Being that the central east pac do seem to be *the* basins so far this year, I think it makes sense for us to keep up some info for anyone with interests in, say, the Baja, Hawaii, etc.

--------------------
(Moderna x2)

ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
Re: *Rapidly* Intensifying East Pac Ileana - Baja, Ca. threat - [Re: cieldumort]
      #70447 - Tue Aug 22 2006 08:54 PM

Our MM5 has been projecting an easterly course from the outset, not taking it as far west as the other models. As a result, it doesn't enter a region of cooler SSTs and more stable low-level air, allowing for the projected trough to send it more toward the east and thus Baja California. The GFDL tends to keep storms too strong over such conditions -- really in most cases -- and also likely keeps it stronger than the other models and thus more likely to be turned a bit more toward the northeast. While I think the other models are underdoing the intensity in the first three days, I think they have the right idea for down the line. Ileana is heading just a bit too far west now for a significant threat to be facing Baja California, in my view.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

cieldumortModerator

Re: *Rapidly* Intensifying East Pac Ileana - Baja, Ca. threat - [Re: Clark]
      #70458 - Tue Aug 22 2006 11:15 PM

Well, if the 5-Day is at all accurate, Day 5 now definitely turns back to the left. It's really hard for me to put much stock in anything out past 72 hours, of course. Interesting to note that the intensity has been so underestimated by so many models, isn't it?

--------------------
(Moderna x2)

Storm Cooper
User

#70462 - Wed Aug 23 2006 05:25 AM

8/23 0Z

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6522

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center