F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Other Weather Events

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Wed
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Still Quiet
      #74157 - Fri Nov 17 2006 02:07 PM

not sure whats going on, but models are trying to pop up some type of strong low pressure next week (tues. time frame, into thanksgiving) of the florida coast... and move it up the east coast... GFS keeps it offshore.

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Genesis
Weather Guru

Re: Still Quiet [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #74158 - Sat Nov 18 2006 01:58 PM

The storm this week was not tropical in nature but it sure had the sort of winds that can be considered in the "damaging" category, and plenty of tornadoes too.

Sitting here at my home on the water, there was a several-hour period that I thought we had a Cat 1 hurricane coming in in terms of wave/water action, and the wind was nothing shabby either - while winds in the "damaging" category were only around for a couple of hours, it was definitely a fairly wild ride.

That's two "non-tropical" storms with severe weather that we've had this fall..... I'll take it if that's our alternative to hurricanes!

I see the model support for what the above poster is pointing out, but the water off the east coast isn't warm enough to sustain anything truly tropical. Could be a fairly nasty nor'easter tho if it comes a bit further west..... the east coast has been getting hammered with "non-tropical ugliness" this fall and this could be another example.

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

#74159 - Sat Nov 18 2006 08:07 PM

i know i posted a quick note that something may brew off the SE of the US starting monday-into tuesday... it may be a pain into thanksgiving along the SE coast.... I know that all Globals are now forming a low pressure off of Florida late sunday into monday... now will this happen? not sure... i am not trying to alarm anyone....maybe it just got moved.... i know that the busy day of travel is about to hit, and folks should know atleast its going to be wind along the east coast.. High pressure should be strong enough to keep this blocked from the east coast... but would allow for some STRONG WINDS along the carolinas...as this thing should exit out to the northeast..... (update: found post, it was moved)

noticed all east coast wx offices now have it....
THE GFS IS THE OUTLIER IN BOTH THE PLACEMENT AND STRENGTH OF SURFACE
CYCLONE OFF THE NC/SC COAST LATE MONDAY/OVERNIGHT TUESDAY.
from ilm

--------------------

Edited by Storm Hunter (Sun Nov 19 2006 08:09 AM)

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

#74160 - Sun Nov 19 2006 08:11 AM

wow, the CMC made a change this morning! takes the low in along the SC coast, and allows the high to bypass the system to the north... one thing is for sure, the forecast for the next few days along the SE coast, is going to be tricky!

from the ilm office :
"SO WE ARE STILL EXPECTING A STRONG COASTAL STORM."
MARINE WEATHER STATEMENT

--------------------

Edited by Storm Hunter (Sun Nov 19 2006 08:18 AM)

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Re: Still Quiet [Re: Genesis]
      #74161 - Sun Nov 19 2006 09:46 AM

hmm.....light frozen precip coming to the south? Just looked at the 850mb, if there is some precip, then there might be a surprise coming for some folks in GA. Nothing worthing getting over thrilled about though! but looking at the winds along the west coast.... esp. the carolina's could be strong come tues.!

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/mm5winter/t850.d2.html

--------------------

Edited by Storm Hunter (Sun Nov 19 2006 09:58 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5454

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center