F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 230 (Idalia) , Major: 230 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 230 (Idalia) Major: 230 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
madmumbler
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: SWFL
African Dust - good/bad?
      #74387 - Tue Mar 27 2007 05:42 PM

Someone please refresh my memory -- is African dust good or bad for us in terms of storms? I was thinking lots of dust was good for us in the states in terms of keeping storm development lower?

I saw on the ATWD that there's an area of dust reaching 50W.

--------------------
Lesli in SWFL.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Loc:
Re: African Dust - good/bad? [Re: madmumbler]
      #74389 - Tue Mar 27 2007 11:37 PM

Dust is good and bad. Good in the sense that it can squelch tropical waves and keep storms from forming in the Atlantic. Bad in the sense that these features may develop further west, once they've escaped the throng of the dust, and more readily impact land areas. This is because the low level winds -- the ones that steer the weakest features -- are generally out of the east and east-northeast across much of the Atlantic, whereas the mid and upper level winds -- the ones that steer stronger features -- will often capture something before it gets too close to the US.

So, to answer your question...yes

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

allan
Weather Master

Reged: Thu
Loc: Palm Coast, Florida
Re: African Dust - good/bad? [Re: Clark]
      #74390 - Wed Mar 28 2007 02:33 PM

A really good example is Hurricane Irene in 2005, that storm was struggling from TS force to Deppression, If I can remember I believe the meteorologist said it was all due to the dust. There was alot of dust coverage in 2005. Irene finally pulled itself together and almost impacted the Northeast but took a sharp turn near Bermuda instead. Shear was also its problem during that time.

--------------------
Allan Reed - 18,9,5

sara33
Weather Guru

Loc: St. Pete,
Re: African Dust - good/bad? [Re: allan]
      #74391 - Wed Mar 28 2007 10:48 PM

Does the next forecast come April 1st??? I should know this by now:-)
Thanks!
Christine

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: African Dust - good/bad? [Re: sara33]
      #74393 - Thu Mar 29 2007 02:28 AM

This link is to a satellite photo of the pre Katrina SAL. Taken on Aug 12,2005 at 1200Z ( 6am EDT).
I believe the Tropical System in the upper left corner of the photo is Hurricane Irene. Mentioned above by Allan.

Pre Katrina SAL 12 Aug05 12Z

Edited by danielw (Tue Apr 03 2007 10:22 PM)

Hurricane29
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Loc: Miami Florida
Re: African Dust - good/bad? [Re: sara33]
      #74394 - Thu Mar 29 2007 10:04 AM

Quote:

Does the next forecast come April 1st??? I should know this by now:-)
Thanks!
Christine

Depends which one your talking about? Grays update is the april 3rd which is next week followed by TSR on the 5th.

dem05
User

Loc: Port Charlotte, FL
Re: African Dust - good/bad? [Re: Hurricane29]
      #74411 - Tue Apr 03 2007 03:18 AM

In general, I have to go with Clark with this one. Recently, I revisited a video composed by Mr.McElroy of Charley's before, during and after of Hurricane Charley in Charlotte County. For those who still have it, you will notice in the satellite intro of Charley. In it, you will see this hurricane while it was a TD out by the Windwards. At that time, it had a large plume of dust just ahead (just to the west) and to the north of it. Charley slowly and steadly intensified in the Carribean, but became a monster in the Gulf...under a different set of dynamics. Last years SAL project by the Verdes was interesting to hear about. I haven't seen the results, but I'd propose funding for this research during neutral El Nino conditions and La Nina conditions to get a better picture of dust influence. Finally, I think we will need to rely on our meteorological researchers to make the relationships between this dust and the other overall weather patterns. If you have been tracking and researching hurricanes as long as I, you will know that there is no one true smoking gun...In reading the forecasts for next season, you will also not that nobdy mentions dust, but they all back their forcasts heavily on one indicator or another...It is further proof that this science has further to grow.

In the mean time, hope all is well and everyone is considering their seasonal preparednes plan. It doeslooklike a lengthy season at this point.

Edited by dem05 (Tue Apr 03 2007 03:22 AM)

madmumbler
Storm Tracker

Re: African Dust - good/bad? [Re: dem05]
      #74419 - Wed Apr 04 2007 01:14 PM

Is there a link to that?

Charley's the one that swiped us.

--------------------
Lesli in SWFL.

dem05
User

Loc: Port Charlotte, FL
Re: African Dust - good/bad? [Re: madmumbler]
      #74421 - Fri Apr 06 2007 01:26 AM Attachment (347 downloads)

I found a great picture of the dust around the early stages of Hurricane Charley. I cannot find Mr.McElroy's video online, but this picture really tells the tale.Charley was actually surrounded by dust...I wonder if this influenced/ helped to influence the storm's tiny diameter. (The photo is attached above)

Edited by dem05 (Fri Apr 06 2007 01:27 AM)

madmumbler
Storm Tracker

#74422 - Fri Apr 06 2007 05:24 PM

I would be very interested in knowing that if anyone knows the answer to that question.

One of the "good" things about Charley was his small diameter and fast speed. Had he been larger in size and slower in movement with the same windspeed, he would have devastated the entire peninsula, and most likely would have avoided being sucked into Charlotte Harbor. Which means he could have gone further north to Sarasota/St. Pete/Tampa and gone up the bay.

As bad as Charley was, he could have been so much worse had he been larger and slower.

We see summer thunderstorms that do exactly what Charley did with Charlotte Harbor, because it's shallow and warmer than the Gulf usually (because it is shallower).

--------------------
Lesli in SWFL.

ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Loc:
      #74434 - Fri Apr 13 2007 01:09 PM

Interestingly, one of the professors here at FSU had a theory that the dust could cause storms to do that...but nothing really ever came of it. It makes some physical sense and may be being studied elsewhere, but I think there are a few more basic issues to address before getting to that point with dust research.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

madmumbler
Storm Tracker

Re: African Dust - good/bad? [Re: Clark]
      #74435 - Fri Apr 13 2007 07:29 PM

I just received this story from the NASA Science email today talking about dust and hurricanes.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2007/13apr_dustyhurricanes.htm?list954164

--------------------
Lesli in SWFL.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10019

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center