F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
madmumbler
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: SWFL
Article: Strong hurricanes to hit U.S. Gulf in 07: AccuWeather (Reuters)
      #74385 - Tue Mar 27 2007 01:36 PM

AccuWeather's put out their forecast.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070327/ts_nm/usa_weather_forecast_accuweather_dc_2

--------------------
Lesli in SWFL.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Loc:
Re: Article: Strong hurricanes to hit U.S. Gulf in 07: AccuWeather (Reuters) [Re: madmumbler]
      #74388 - Tue Mar 27 2007 11:35 PM

I don't think anyone puts a lot of stock into their forecast. It's basically a hype and spin machine trying to wash over their failures from 2006 and cover themselves for 2007. The best example comes from how they mention that the Gulf/SE coast is at a high risk for 2007 but that the NE is in the midst of a 10 year elevated threat. Basically, what that means is that the entire US coast is under the gun. I dunno about you all, but that's not different than any year to me...

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Article: Strong hurricanes to hit U.S. Gulf in 07: AccuWeather (Reuters) [Re: Clark]
      #74392 - Thu Mar 29 2007 02:20 AM

I'll second Clark on his remarks. Possibly a way to pump up their subscription services. While they have quite a few notable METs. There seem to be more notorious people at the top of the Corporation.
Always trying to get Congress to mess up the NWS and their products.
My two cents.

madmumbler
Storm Tracker

Re: Article: Strong hurricanes to hit U.S. Gulf in 07: AccuWeather (Reuters) [Re: danielw]
      #74397 - Sat Mar 31 2007 08:15 PM

And aren't they the ones behind the FSU fiasco last year with the models?

--------------------
Lesli in SWFL.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Article: Strong hurricanes to hit U.S. Gulf in 07: AccuWeather (Reuters) [Re: Clark]
      #74401 - Sun Apr 01 2007 10:21 AM

To print that article with the title like that is irresponsible and misleading. We had an article in our local paper that was even more exaggerated. To quote myself, Hurricanes form every year, some hit land some don't. Some are catastrophic some are not. Any one who says they know which ones will and which ones won't in advance is a bald face liar.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

cieldumortModerator

Reged: Mon
Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: Article: Strong hurricanes to hit U.S. Gulf in 07: AccuWeather (Reuters) [Re: madmumbler]
      #74402 - Sun Apr 01 2007 01:49 PM

The Reuters piece said much of nothing, imo.

Quotes like
"We are living in a time of climatic hardship," Bastardi said. "We're in a cycle where weather extremes are more the norm and not the exception."

could really be said at any time, any month, any season, and any year.

I agree with many who say these pre-season forecasts that try to be exceptionally accurate aren't of much use, other than they cause a good stir in the mass media, create a bit of buzz on the street, sell a few more shares of someone's stock, dump a few more shares of another, and generally serve to entertain the rest of us in a slightly whimsical manner.

ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Loc:
      #74403 - Mon Apr 02 2007 12:26 AM

No, AccuWx had nothing to do with the FSU mess before last season. That instead was a battle between one group at FSU and another (smaller) private company which for some unknown reason came to briefly encompass all groups at FSU.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

madmumbler
Storm Tracker

Re: Article: Strong hurricanes to hit U.S. Gulf in 07: AccuWeather (Reuters) [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #74418 - Wed Apr 04 2007 01:10 PM

Don't shoot the messenger -- that's the title Reuters used.

Lesli.

Quote:

To print that article with the title like that is irresponsible and misleading. We had an article in our local paper that was even more exaggerated. To quote myself, Hurricanes form every year, some hit land some don't. Some are catastrophic some are not. Any one who says they know which ones will and which ones won't in advance is a bald face liar.

I think that the intent of the poster was to blast away at Accuweather, not you, although good use of the PM capability would have been a better way to clear up any misunderstanding - on both sides.

Edited by Ed Dunham (Wed Apr 04 2007 06:18 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7346

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center