F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 201 (Idalia) , Major: 201 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 201 (Idalia) Major: 201 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2007 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Clark
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
Re: andrea heading out [Re: HanKFranK]
      #74811 - Tue May 15 2007 10:16 PM

I agree that it'll be interesting to see what they do in the post-analysis and I also agree that you can make the case for adding some regeneration time to the end. But, operationally, unless it is a threat to someone, the NHC generally will be very slow in bringing a storm back -- particularly something that is not 100% clear cut.

I agree with their assessment in the first two days or so after declassification, even when it had one persistent convective flare-up. There wasn't any organization to the convection then and, despite other classified storms looking worse at times, it had already been declassified and thus they had nothing to hang on to. It's the last day or so where the question lies, in my mind, on whether it gets a posthumous upgrade or not. Banding improved, the structure improved, and it was a close call. But, alas, it also was starting to head out to sea.

I would not be surprised to that last day added on to Andrea's lifecycle -- not unlike how the unnamed subtropical storm was added as it accelerated northeast -- but having said that, I also agree with how they handled it operationally. Alas, it's not a bad debate to have for May.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Psyber
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: andrea heading out [Re: Clark]
      #74821 - Wed May 16 2007 10:39 AM

Quote:

I would not be surprised to that last day added on to Andrea's lifecycle -- not unlike how the unnamed subtropical storm was added as it accelerated northeast -- but having said that, I also agree with how they handled it operationally. Alas, it's not a bad debate to have for May.

NHC is going to face tough critics for a while longer after 05'. There hasn't been nearly enough finger pointing for the American public to relax. Out of chaos comes order...perhaps there is a silver lining in it all that people will no longer take hurricanes for party events/time off work and school and head inland ahead of storms instead of waiting 24 hours before landfall.

Anyways:
Pretty tenacious for a weak May storm with fairly cool SST's. Slightly warmer than normal but still...lets hope this years storms are not as tenacious on the warmer SST's on their way. I would have thought all the dry air/ash firing off Florida would have given the remnants of Andrea a right hook to the jaw...

--------------------
The safest way to deal with a potential Hurricane hitting you...is to leave and just not be there at all.

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: andrea heading out [Re: Psyber]
      #74824 - Wed May 16 2007 01:29 PM

1:30 p.m. Sats and radar suggest that there is a broad low in the vicinity of Andros Is. and GBI. What say anybody else?

--------------------
doug

cieldumort

Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: andrea heading out [Re: doug]
      #74826 - Wed May 16 2007 01:58 PM

Earlier today there was actually a LLC over the southern Bahamas, which has since been washed out - most likely due to all the shear over the region. Even Floater 1 was briefly being labeled "Invest".

Despite the washing out of a brief disturbance, this area remains of interest, as several models produce not one but two surface lows out of that broad trough over the course of the remainder of this week... the second one seems to be forecast to have better odds of staying over the >26c SSTs for a bit

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc:
Re: andrea heading out [Re: doug]
      #74827 - Wed May 16 2007 02:07 PM

To my very nonscientific eye, looks like the area has become better organized over the am and early this
pm.

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged: Tue
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re:Future bahamas event [Re: Ed in Va]
      #74830 - Wed May 16 2007 02:54 PM

This area has become more pronounced. i do not see this being affected by shear at all as the appearance has obtained more of a circular look. Any idea what the SST is in that area?

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

doug
Weather Analyst

Loc: parrish,fl
Re: andrea heading out [Re: Ed in Va]
      #74831 - Wed May 16 2007 02:55 PM

my untrained eye picks up the signs of a vortex north north west of Andros. It may not be what I would call a LLC but there is some energy there...doesn't seem tropical however.

--------------------
doug

cieldumort

Loc: Austin, Tx
Re:Future bahamas event [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #74832 - Wed May 16 2007 03:48 PM

There is tremendous shear over the area. If your eyes are not yet trained to discern shear, you can always find a professional shear analysis here, from CIMSS. The hotter the color, the greater the shear. Basically, your yellows to oranges are unfavorable. Getting into the reds, brighter reds, hot pink and finally white is highly unfavorable to impossible (for tropical cyclones to form and/or survive).

Right now the high shear over the region is fanning the convection: showers and storms.. but preventing any kind of (tropical cyclone) organization from taking place. The shear will need to relax quite a bit before this area becomes hospitable.

Clark
Meteorologist

Loc:
Re:Future bahamas event [Re: cieldumort]
      #74833 - Wed May 16 2007 03:55 PM

This is the beginnings of a late-season coastal low that should begin to move north and affecting New England and the related coastal waters over the next couple of days. Not a whole lot to worry about tropically, fortunately.

The ECMWF model, however, spit out something interesting for the long-range -- 5-10 days out -- time period in it's latest run. See this link for the details. This model is normally very reliable, the best out there in the medium- and long-range by far, and a friend of mine (and I) can't remember the last time we've ever seen it do something like this in May. It meets the basic test of lower pressures in the area prior to formation, but I really have a hard time believing the forecast given the month. Something worth watching, however.

--------------------

madmumbler
Storm Tracker

Loc: SWFL
Re:Future bahamas event [Re: Clark]
      #74836 - Wed May 16 2007 05:22 PM

So is this the same area that the GFS is picking up on that they keep talking about in the HPC Caribbean Forecast Discussions?

Is that why they have the floater over that area now?

--------------------
Lesli in SWFL.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

FLGuy
Verified CFHC User

Loc: South Florida
Re:Future bahamas event [Re: madmumbler]
      #74839 - Wed May 16 2007 06:57 PM

Is this the correct forum or thread for the discussion of possible storm development?

Check your PM's

Edited by Storm Cooper (Wed May 16 2007 06:59 PM)

FLGuy
Verified CFHC User

Re:Future bahamas event [Re: FLGuy]
      #74840 - Wed May 16 2007 07:35 PM

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL
259 PM EDT WED MAY 16 2007

.DISCUSSION...SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWS A WEAK LOW FORMING NEAR THE
NORTH TIP OF ANDROS ISLAND. THIS DEVELOPMENT IS SHOWN WELL BY THE
NAM12 AND HAVE USED THE NAM12 AND DGEX FOR THE WINDS. THE NAM12 IS
VERY SIMILAR TO THE GFS40 WITH THE NEXT FRONT WHICH SHOULD PASS
THROUGH THE AREA LATE FRIDAY NIGHT. WITH THE LOW FORMING AND
MOVING NORTH

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=AFDMFL

Edited by Storm Cooper (Wed May 16 2007 08:58 PM)

madmumbler
Storm Tracker

Re:Future bahamas event [Re: Clark]
      #74842 - Wed May 16 2007 08:49 PM

From tonight's 8:05pm NHC TWD:

Quote:

NOW OF MORE SIGNIFICANCE IS A SFC LOW
THAT THE NWP MODELS DEVELOP NEAR THE BAHAMAS...WHERE THERE IS
ALREADY AN EXTENSIVE AREA OF CLOUDINESS WITH SOME CYCLONIC
TURNING.

Can one of the mets please educate me? Is the NHC saying it's still showing in the models and has not yet developed, or are they saying that it IS developing in real time outside of the models?

--------------------
Lesli in SWFL.

FLGuy
Verified CFHC User

#74843 - Wed May 16 2007 09:08 PM

There is a surface low in development north of Andros Island in the Bahamas. That's what is happening.

Storm Cooper
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re:Site Rules and Forum Usage [Re: FLGuy]
      #74844 - Wed May 16 2007 09:56 PM

I believe Ed just did something like this (many times) but I feel the need to do it once again. Please, all users, old and new alike.... review the Rules section of this site and try to keep to the proper Forum as best possible.

RULES:

Flhurricane is fairly leniant with discussion, but please use common sense when posting. We try to be as fair as possible, but are also trying to keep the quality of the site relatively high. Quality content over quantity is the goal of this site.

Posting here implies acceptance of the following terms and conditions:
- Participants shall not post any material likely to cause offence, that is protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right - without the express permission of the owner of such copyright - or that contains personal phone numbers or addresses.
- Use of appropriate content is required. Abusive, profane and vulgar language will not be tolerated.
- Participants may not use the Forums to post or transmit advertisements or commercial solicitations of any kind. If you want a website linked, email us the link and we will add it.
- The appropriate Forum Moderator has the right to edit, censor, delete or otherwise modify any posted message.
- This web site does not verify or guarantee the accuracy of the material posted to the Forums or bear any responsibility for any loss, damage, or other liabilities caused by any posted message.
- Public Personal attacks on other users will not be permitted.
- Excessive "Forum Drama" will result in a probation or ban.
- Wishcasting and alarmist posts are prohibited. Gut feeling posts without any explanation are not allowed on the news talkbacks, they will be moved to the forecast lounge. Alarmist posts will be graveyarded.
- Attempts to hack or perform denial of service attacks on the flhurricane server network will result in a firewall block for the entire flhurricane subnet and possible legal action.

Hints:

Before you post: Before posting, please ask yourself the following question: "Am I making a post which is informative, or interesting or adds to thoughtful discussion on any level? If is a reply, does it offer any significant advice or help contribute to the conversation in any fashion?" If you can answer "yes" to this, then please post. If you cannot, then refrain from posting.
Low Content Posts: Please do not make single line posts containing no content (ie, "Thanks!" "Great Post" "Cool!", "I agree", or something else completely void of meaning). Or general cheerleading, for example, if you think someone did a good job and have nothing else to add send them a PM, it works better for this. We appreciate the thanks, but otherwise posts like these just litter up the forums. Remember, CFHC is not a Chat Room - it is a Niche topic-oriented site, so please attempt to stay 'on topic' by placing your posts in the proper Forum. Main page articles are usually focused on one particular topic, the other forums are open to use as well and are moderated less strictly.
Politics: This is not a political board, if it involves a certain party or a certain particular individual or group that is politically based, your post will be graveyarded.
Deparment of Redundancy Department: If a poster continually makes the same post, or nearly the same post repeatedly on the same point, it will likely be put in the graveyard and the poster be put on timed poster probation.
Respect the Mods: The moderators are here to keep the forum function of the site safe, sane, and secure. Please do not harass or intentionally annoy the mods. If they ask you to do something, please do it. If you do not like the mods or the moderation here, then feel free to not post here. If you have an issue with a mod, email cfhc@flhurricane.com or pm an Administrator
Harass and Sass: If somebody is harassing you on the forums then discuss it with them over PM or email before contacting a mod about it. Someone who simply disagrees with you does not constitute harassment. Please do not post others' personal information (phone number, addresses, emails, etc.). Try to stay out of other peoples' personal lives as well. Keep in mind there's a good distinction between the Internet and real life.
Crazy Catchall: Please do not try to cleverly circumvent some rule listed here. These rules are general guidelines and are very flexible. We won't catch everything, and we don't try to be overly zealous in moderation either. It is impossible. Although we don't take ourselves or the site very seriously, the subject matter of hurricanes we do.
Posting Style: Proper spelling/grammar is a big plus. This helps people understand what you're trying to say. It doesn't have to be perfect, but at least make it look like you try. Obviously, English is not the native language of everyone and even native speakers are prone to mistakes. Simply try to spell properly. Do not use spelling short hand, or what is often referred to as "AOL Speak". The message board is not AIM or ICQ or IRC. You are not within the bounds of AOL's system. You are not in a race for post counts. You can and should take your sweet time when posting. Some examples of spelling short hand are "u" for "you", "4" for "for", "r" for "are", and others.
Do not intentionally butcher your words. We're not your English teacher, but we don't wish to be subjected to your abysmal spelling just because you think it's trendy, unique, cool, or whatever. It is not trendy. It is not unique. The only way it makes you stand out is as someone lacking a reasonable number of brain cells. Some examples of this spelling are "kewl", "luv", and any instance of replacing "s" with "z". Occasional usage is accepted, but don't construct your entire posts like this.
Image size and linking. Keep all inline post images smaller than 600 pixels horizontal and 500 pixels vertical. Make sure all images you display in your posts are hosted on your own webspace. We do not approve of bandwidth leeching and forcing other people to pay for your images. If it is not hosted by you or a image hosting service (ie imageshack or photobucket ), just use a hyperlink to the image instead.

Distruptive, or bad posts will get moved to the graveyard (as well as any direct responses to a graveyarded post) to serve as an example of what not to post. If a post of yours ends up in the Graveyard, don't worry, mistakes happen. It isn't intended to humilate, just serve as an example. Non main news forums are less strictly moderated.

Any violation of the Guidelines could result in messages being edited and/or removed and the violator being warned, put on timed posting probation, or banned.

- Please use the "Alert Mods to Bad Post" button () below each post to report any possible violators.
For other questions/suggestions and updates see the site update forum

If you do not agree with these rules, please do not register an account or post. The only people we want to register accounts are those who really want to be here and will respect the rules and other forum members. We reserve the right to ban anybody on the forums. If you disagree with the above, then you are more than welcome to create your own hurricane site, and we will link it.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

Edited by Storm Cooper (Wed May 16 2007 09:58 PM)

Clark
Meteorologist

Loc:
      #74845 - Wed May 16 2007 11:23 PM

Quote:

From tonight's 8:05pm NHC TWD:

Quote:

NOW OF MORE SIGNIFICANCE IS A SFC LOW
THAT THE NWP MODELS DEVELOP NEAR THE BAHAMAS...WHERE THERE IS
ALREADY AN EXTENSIVE AREA OF CLOUDINESS WITH SOME CYCLONIC
TURNING.

Can one of the mets please educate me? Is the NHC saying it's still showing in the models and has not yet developed, or are they saying that it IS developing in real time outside of the models?

That low has been in all of the models except for the GFS and is developing on schedule. It's not a tropical entity, however. The GFS developed something further south and west in Caribbean which isn't panning out. I wouldn't really trust the GFS right now for system formation purely in the tropics given the substantial changes they made to the model at the start of the month.

It's not the same as the feature that the ECMWF, among other models, is showing for down the line. I think most of the discussion on that is over in the Storm Forum, though.

--------------------

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Guidance [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #74849 - Thu May 17 2007 12:34 AM

Read the Forum Descriptions to determine where it is best to place your post.

For discussions on long-range model projections that suggest the development of a tropical or subtropical system, use the Forecast Lounge. A thread on the GFS model is currently active in that Forum.

For discussions about tropical features in the Atlantic Basin, i.e., the ITCZ or existing tropical waves, use The Tropics Today forum.

For Tropical Cyclones and Potential Development Areas (Invests), a thread will be started in the Storm Forum when appropriate.

Finally, note that you can only reply to the topics covered in existing Main Page articles. In other words, if your response concerns a topic that is not mentioned in the Main Page Leadoff Article (or Updates to that Article), then your post probably belongs somewhere else.

If your still uncertain as to where to post something, ask a Moderator for assistance via the PM capability.
ED

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re:Future bahamas event [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #74857 - Thu May 17 2007 07:21 AM

Hey all apparently there was some confusion last night. The low in the west Caribbean that everyone was talking about is just a forecast from some long range models. Much too wave mongerish for the front page, but ok for the lounge. There's a thread going on about it here

madmumbler
Storm Tracker

Re: Hurricane Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday correction [Re: MikeC]
      #74888 - Fri May 18 2007 11:28 AM

The information on the front page (which is the article this talkback is for) is slightly incorrect. It states the sales tax holiday is the first week of June. It actually extends from June 1 - to midnight, June 12.

I just received my flier from the FL Dep. of Revenue today in the mail.

--------------------
Lesli in SWFL.

Edited by madmumbler (Fri May 18 2007 11:29 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 17832

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center