F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 212 (Idalia) , Major: 212 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 212 (Idalia) Major: 212 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
SoFlaDa

Reged: Thu
HOW STUPID CAN NOAA BE? More Than You Would Believe!
      #74879 - Thu May 17 2007 10:07 PM

This morning on Miami Public Radio, I heard a story about comments from Bill Proenza, the new administrator of the NHC. He had comments on two issues that directly impact weather enthusiasts around the USA.

First, he said that the NHC's research budget was cut by approx $700,000 this year while the parent organization, NOAA, went ahead with $4 million in parties for PR and "brand recognition" for NOAA. I've become quite used to bureaucratic imbecility over the past 5 years, but this is completely OTT. For those of us in hurricane country, the work the NHC does is incredibly important and, while they have significantly improved track and intensity forecasts, we all know there is much more that can be done. That work requires research, not parties.

Second, he said that his managers want to do away with the name "National Weather Service," rewriting it as "NOAA Weather Service." Of course, this change fits with their party plans. Meanwhile, if so many people in the general public ignore warnings/forecasts from the "National" service, do they think people are going to pay more attention to something from an unknown agency "NOAA?" More likely, the public will just think it's something from an ark builder.

Please join me in writing Senators and Representatives as well as the chief administrator of NOAA that these changes really MUST be reversed.

PS. The powers that manage the CFHC website have ruled that this post, although of huge import and impact on all weather/hurricane enthusiasts, must be placed on this somewhat out of the way board. Hopefully, someone will get the message that these are really hurtful changes to an agency we really depend on.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
IMPT TO READ: Re: HOW STUPID CAN NOAA BE? [Re: SoFlaDa]
      #74882 - Fri May 18 2007 07:06 AM

You are very right, we should write a congressman, senator... if just everyone here would fire off one email...
Look up your congressman/senator/governor here:
http://www.myflorida.com/

Thank you for that very important message there, seems to me an inportant topic and there are no named storms or even wannabe storms right now to discuss

It was important enough for the Miami Herald to do a cover story on Bill Proenza's whistle calling on NOAA

Why does a government agency need to spend money on what appears to be PR.. it's like FPL constantly advertising how wonderful they are in the Miami area... we have no alternatives to FPL.. they are a monopoly so why advertise so much?

Maybe NOAA will sign deals with coke that all personnel will be photographed with coke cans not pepsi?

Seriously.... lack of money for hurricane research is a big issue, possibly the BIGGEST issue we have facing the 2007 Hurricane Season. Everything else is a tangible, maybe the MJO will hit at the height of the season, maybe the high will build in across the Atlantic, maybe dust from Africa will inhibit the storms from falling even if there is a lot of rain in the Sahel reason, maybe the alignment of the ENSO and la nina and a possible volcano blowing in the Caribbean will make a messy season... everything is discussion and possibilities here .. ..... the one GIVEN is that we LACK the $$$ needed to do proper research and collect proper data to forecast storm tracks better and to learn more about hurricanes and how and why they develop or don't.

After some storm like Katrina politicians rush in, make promises, make sound bites and leave .. and six months later nothing has changed.

If everyone on this board and other boards wrote just one letter to just one congressman or senator.. it might help, it wouldn't hurt and there is power in numbers vs one lone wolf crying at night.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

allan
Weather Master

Reged: Thu
Loc: Palm Coast, Florida
Re: IMPT TO READ: Re: HOW STUPID CAN NOAA BE? [Re: LoisCane]
      #74883 - Fri May 18 2007 08:36 AM

Well people won't ignore NOAA, All the weather services in the country gets there forecast track from the NHC or NOAA if they do change there name. So it won't be different, I wouldn't worry about it, nothing to boycott about.. just let it be.
The only thing I would be worrying about is what they have already done, which is leaving unnamed storms behind. Though I understand money wise, it isn't easy.

--------------------
Allan Reed - 18,9,5

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
planes need to be maintained, programs updated and more research [Re: allan]
      #74895 - Fri May 18 2007 01:21 PM

We need money to do more research.
We need money for research and ongoing tracking.

When you have a plane that cannot go up in a storm like Katrina or one of the big Gulfie Storms and there is no back up, no data gained. When bouys are not working and not replaced. Money to run projects and do research.

What is in a name anyway Allan? Really, a rose is a rose is a rose by any other name.

But the name National Hurricane Center means one thing and has a official sound to it that National Weather Service or others don't possess. When the NHC says something, people listen.

Yet, they receive less money than most agencies.

If you wanted to do research on a pregnant fetal pygmie pig you could probably get a government grant.

Anyways, have a great weekend..

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

ltpat228
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Port Saint Lucie FL
Re: HOW STUPID CAN NOAA BE? More Than You Would Believe! [Re: SoFlaDa]
      #74907 - Fri May 18 2007 08:29 PM

Quote:

PS. The powers that manage the CFHC website have ruled that this post, although of huge import and impact on all weather/hurricane enthusiasts, must be placed on this somewhat out of the way board.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to research then share your post...and yes, I understand all too well about the placement of posts on this site.

Thank you for being an asset with your helpful information enabling me to better protect my family during a Florida hurricane.

ltpat228
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Port Saint Lucie FL
Re: HOW STUPID CAN NOAA BE? More Than You Would Believe! [Re: ltpat228]
      #75276 - Fri Jun 01 2007 08:23 PM

(post deleted as requested)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Fri Jun 01 2007 10:05 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6799

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center