F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> The Tropics Today

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Ronn
User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Seminole, FL
Re: Barry Conditions in Your Area [Re: MikeC]
      #75311 - Sat Jun 02 2007 07:54 AM

My original post from earlier...moved it here to the appropriate thread.

We are now under a tornado watch in central Florida. Here in Pinellas County, I am awaiting the arrival of a strong squall which is just offshore. NWS issued a special marine warning for a waterspout 13 miles southwest of Indian Rocks Beach. I am now hearing some rumbles of thunder.

The wind impact from Barry has been very minor so far in this area. I expect that we will see tropical storm force wind gusts around midday as the wind shifts onshore and the center passes a little to the north. I will head out to the beach to quantify the wind speed and survey the surge at that time.

*Just noticed a 38mph wind gust at Sand Key. Winds are still light a couple miles inland as heavy rain is now falling. More like a frontal squall line than anything else. Will probably be like Gordon in 2000 with most of the wind later today after the rain moves through.

Current conditions at Sand Key

Edited by Ronn (Sat Jun 02 2007 07:55 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ned
Weather Watcher

Reged: Tue
Loc: W.Coast Fl.
Re: Day 1. Tropical Storm Barry Forms in Gulf of Mexico [Re: MikeC]
      #75317 - Sat Jun 02 2007 08:29 AM

Squall line hitting Pinellas County coastline now.

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Barry Conditions in Your Area [Re: Ronn]
      #75318 - Sat Jun 02 2007 08:42 AM

sitting here in Parrish and the light rain has returned, and the wind has become more frisky and gusty...Pressure is 29.62 and steady...Waiting to see if that one band of heavy rain and wind will expand east towards us, it seems to be creeping closer as the actual center continues to move NE at 20.
I will post again in an hour.

--------------------
doug

DJINFLA
Weather Watcher

Loc: Sebastian, FL
Re: Barry Conditions in Your Area [Re: Ronn]
      #75319 - Sat Jun 02 2007 08:52 AM

Here in northern Indian River County we truly appreciate all the rain. Been raining almost since it started knocked over some "For Rent/Sale" signs, but that's all I've seen while walking the dog in the rain. Power did blink off/on just once. Overall, I think Barry is a welcomed visitor to the area.

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Torrington, CT
      #75320 - Sat Jun 02 2007 08:53 AM

No rain in my area but winds are 12-15 gusts to 34 on my station.

--------------------
Gloria 1985 (Eye passed over my house in...get this...northwestern CT!)

Prospero
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Gulfport, FL
Re: Barry Conditions in Your Area [Re: doug]
      #75322 - Sat Jun 02 2007 08:57 AM

Gulfport, FL - A strong squall has been over us for about 20 minutes and the rain is intense. My backyard is flooded and the street in front of my house is as full of water as I have ever seen it. (Moved here last September.)

Thunder is sporadic, but impressive. The wind gusts to just over 20 in the area so far.

Sheeper
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: Vero Beach, FL
Re: Barry Conditions in Your Area [Re: Prospero]
      #75323 - Sat Jun 02 2007 09:01 AM

here on the Barrier Island in Vero Beach we got pounded by rain overnight. I've not been able to run my pool skimmer for more than a month due to low water level. Today the pool is full. We had OVER 4 INCHES overnight.
Hooray!
this morning it is cloudy, with some fading sun and a light breeze....no rain.

Barry was a quick and welcome visitor for the opening of the 2007 season.

--------------------
Emergency Management Consultant & Trainer

Southern4sure
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Land O Lakes, FL
Re: Barry Conditions in Your Area [Re: Sheeper]
      #75324 - Sat Jun 02 2007 09:12 AM

I live in Pasco county (Land O Lakes) which is just north of Tampa and it looks like the path of Barry will come over my house. I'm only worried about possible tornadoes. Rain was slow to start with on Friday afternoon but from about 4 pm friday until now a nice steady rain has been falling. Absolutely no wind at this moment, just beautiful rain.

bamffl
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Tampa, FL
      #75327 - Sat Jun 02 2007 09:23 AM

Tampa (Oldsmar) area - Brief periods of heavy rain, but not very windy at all. My $4 rain gauge reports around 3 to 3 1/2 inches, so far.

gbass

Reged: Sat
Loc: Homosassa
Re: Barry Conditions in Your Area [Re: bamffl]
      #75329 - Sat Jun 02 2007 09:48 AM

I'm on the northern edge, in Homosassa. Rain, glorious, rain! brief moderate showers, wind aroung 3-5 mph. We've had close to 2 inches in our area. My ducks are deliriously happy and well so am I.

doug
Weather Analyst

Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Day 1. Tropical Storm Barry Forms in Gulf of Mexico [Re: damejune2]
      #75330 - Sat Jun 02 2007 09:59 AM

ok, back again and the center of Barry is immediately to our west... the heaviest weather has missed this area of northeast Manatee county to our north, sun is starting to emerge and the cloud cover is breaking, but winds remain frisky and gusty from the west now ...pressure never dropped below 29.62.. the chance for the squall line to continue into this area is diminishing as the heavy rain lifts to the north...there is another band right on the periphery of the center that may blow through here as it passes by. so far not more than 1.5 inches overnight.

--------------------
doug

madmumbler
Storm Tracker

Loc: SWFL
      #75331 - Sat Jun 02 2007 10:20 AM

Well, the sun just came out here in w. Charlotte county, but the wind has REALLY picked up. It's ripping some pretty good gusts. I don't have a wind gauge, so I can't tell you exactly what. But it's picked up.

--------------------
Lesli in SWFL.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

flarrfan
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sun
Loc: Spring Hill FL
Re: Day 1. Tropical Storm Barry Forms in Gulf of Mexico [Re: doug]
      #75334 - Sat Jun 02 2007 10:44 AM

Quote:

pressure never dropped below 29.62.

Low of 29.49 here in Spring Hill about an hour ago, now back up to 29.51. Some wind gusts in the upper 20's, but almost no rain since daybreak. Looks like heavier stuff both west and east of here.

kasdanr

Loc: Cayo Costa / Fire Island
Re: Day 1. Tropical Storm Barry Forms in Gulf of Mexico [Re: flarrfan]
      #75337 - Sat Jun 02 2007 11:00 AM

Beautiful sunshine and turquoise waters out here offshore from Pine Island, and the winds have settled down to 20 kts or so.
The tide is extremely high, and we're still 3 hours from full. the yard is submerged, and I guess I'll find out if the shrubs I planted this Spring are truly salt-tolerant. ;^)
The night was a wild one, with wind and slashing rains, but around 4:30 AM a beautiful full moon lit everything up so I could see that all the boats were where they're supposed to be.
We are very thankful for the rain.
Welcome to the 2007 Storm Season...

Littlebit
Weather Watcher

Reged: Fri
Loc: Plant City, FL
Re: Day 1. Tropical Storm Barry Forms in Gulf of Mexico [Re: kasdanr]
      #75342 - Sat Jun 02 2007 11:46 AM

Here in Plant City, we've had close to 2 and 1/2 inches of rain. No wind to speak of right now and a light drizzle going on. Had some good quick downpours earlier today.

Here's hoping we all have a safe and relatively quiet hurricane season.

Donna

Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Loc: Plant City, Florida
Re: Barry Conditions in Your Area [Re: allan]
      #75343 - Sat Jun 02 2007 12:00 PM

Rain gauge has 2.75in in it this morning. We had steady rain most of the night and missed most of that really strong band that hit Pinellas county. Barometer is showing 29.53in which overall improves my opinion of my cheap barometer. Not much wind although I can hear some swirling in the trees. Just a light mist/drizzle (what I call TS rain) falling now. The LLC is supposed to be very close to the northwest of us right now and a small band of light rain is forming to move over us. Great rain event!! Maybe we could do exactly this again next week??

--------------------
If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes...
2023 Season Prediction: 17/6/2

SoFlA1A

Re: Barry Conditions in Your Area [Re: Lamar-Plant City]
      #75346 - Sat Jun 02 2007 12:47 PM

SE Boca Raton, steady rain overnight until about 6 am, 4.78 in total.
High wind gust 35mph at 12:20am, Low Bar 1006.3 mb at 4:54am.

ltpat228
Storm Tracker

Loc: Port Saint Lucie FL
Re: Barry Conditions in Your Area [Re: allan]
      #75350 - Sat Jun 02 2007 01:39 PM

Here in St Lucie County, FL - Port St Lucie - about 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee on the east coast - we're getting gusts at 35mph and a steady south wind at 23mph.
Rainfall was near 5.47" and has pretty much stopped; and we're also seeing bouts of sunshine yet by far, it is mostly cloudy and quite windy.

Edited by ltpat228 (Mon Jun 04 2007 01:23 PM)

Ronn
User

Loc: Seminole, FL
Re: Barry Conditions in Your Area [Re: ltpat228]
      #75355 - Sat Jun 02 2007 03:26 PM

I had 5.5 inches of rain here in Seminole in western Pinellas County overnight and this morning. I ventured out to the beach in southern Pinellas County this morning and actually experienced the "eye" of Barry--really just a period of calm and clear skies. As of now, the winds are gusting to 25mph at my house with cloudy conditions.

ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Loc:
      #75367 - Sun Jun 03 2007 01:47 AM

Out of Barry, we had a couple of decent showers -- one Friday, one Saturday -- but mostly a lot of drizzle and light rain. The mid-level center of Barry headed this way and kept us from getting the gip entirely rainwise.

It was a typical tropical landfall day -- cloudy, breezy, cool, and damp. About 0.4" total and a high today in the low 70s.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, MikeC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 20946

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center