F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Other Storm Basins

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
vpbob21
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Ohio
Powerful TC 02A (Gonu) in Arabian Sea
      #75381 - Mon Jun 04 2007 09:30 AM

If you haven't checked the North Indian Ocean in a while, might want to take a look at Tropical Cyclone 2A, known as Gonu. NRL shows the storm at 140 kts and 898 mb. Currently expected to landfall over eastern Oman in a couple days, but some models show the storm recurving north toward Iran. It is expected to weaken as it entrains dry air and may be only around cat 1 at landfall.

I'm certainly no historian but would have to guess this is one of the strongest storms on record in this part of the Indian Ocean.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TS2
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Orlando, Florida
Re: Powerful TC 02A (Gonu) in Arabian Sea [Re: vpbob21]
      #75385 - Mon Jun 04 2007 12:54 PM

Gonu has 10 minute winds of 115kts and a estimated central pressure of 930 hPa [IMD Weather Synosis]. That means it is a Very Severe Tropical Cyclone on the N Indian Ocean Cyclone Scale.

This is indeed the first Category 5 Cyclone in the Arabian Sea. These are all the other Major Cyclones in the Arabian Sea which only reached Category 3 Status:
1977 at 110 kt
1998 at 105 kt
1999 at 110 kt
2001 at 110 kt

Dry air will be a problem as it moves closer to the coast of Oman and will probably weaken it slightly. The JTWC has Gonu landfalling as a 125kt [140mph] Category 4 Cyclone.

--------------------
Dr. Joe Smith

Substitute Teacher at University of Central Florida

GreatWeatherForums

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged: Sat
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: Powerful TC 02A (Gonu) in Arabian Sea [Re: TS2]
      #75400 - Tue Jun 05 2007 03:13 PM

GONU is expected to landfall on the NE coast of Oman with winds near 100 mph tonight, causing widespread damage and flooding. Then it may move on to affect the southern coast of Iran still as a strong storm.

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

audienceofone
Verified CFHC User

#75401 - Tue Jun 05 2007 04:22 PM

Could someone post a link to where these satellite images can be found? I'm only familiar with the more local basins and my internet search has turned up nothing of value. Thanks!

--------------------
"I can see from your zombie stare that you don't understand technical talk. Let me try it in a language I call, 'Liberal Arts Major.' It's blue."

2007 forecast as of 5-1-07, 16/9/5

Storm Cooper
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Powerful TC 02A (Gonu) in Arabian Sea [Re: audienceofone]
      #75402 - Tue Jun 05 2007 04:28 PM

http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goes.html

For a start...

Or this:

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc-bin/tc_home2.cgi

Edited by Ed Dunham (Tue Jun 05 2007 11:54 PM)

vpbob21
Weather Guru

Loc: Ohio
      #75407 - Wed Jun 06 2007 01:27 AM

Gonu is moving slowly northwest just offshore of eastern Oman, winds down to 80 kts. Expected to continue weakening and pass very close to the capital Muscat in a few hours, then continue to spin down to depression strength by the time it reaches the Strait of Hormuz.

Been checking out some Oman-based forums and some bloggers from that area (several people from there are posting on Jeff Masters blog). Reports are that conditions are deteriorating in Muscat, heavy rain and strong winds, but so far not much damage.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8515

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center