F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Other Weather Events

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Multi-Decadal Signal
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: BROWARD
FATAL - "BOLT FROM THE BLUE"
      #75606 - Fri Jun 22 2007 05:23 PM

Miami-Dade FL
Posted on Fri, Jun. 22, 2007 WEATHER
Lightning kills man beneath cloudless sky
A Dade landscaper died after being struck by an unusual
type of lightning that's stronger, hotter, lasts longer
and strikes from clear skies.

By TERE FIGUERAS NEGRETE AND LUISA YANEZ
lyanez@MiamiHerald.com
COURTESY WFORCBS4

David Canales died after being struck by lightning.

Lightning strike kills man
With no rain or even clouds to warn him of the danger,
death came literally out of the blue Thursday to a self-
employed landscaper. The killer was a powerful bolt of
lightning that cracked through perfectly clear skies.(more)

http://www.miamiherald.com/460/story/147572.html

--------------------
Who you gonna' believe?
Me, or your damn lying eyes?
_Ö_ _ö_

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: FATAL - "BOLT FROM THE BLUE" [Re: Multi-Decadal Signal]
      #75607 - Fri Jun 22 2007 06:18 PM

I witnessed this phenomenon many years ago when I was in Illinois. A strong thunderstorm had passed through and, according to the radar, was about 7 miles to the east. Skies had cleared overhead and I went outside to watch the departing storm off in the distance. The distant thunderstorm threw out a lightning bolt that passed directly overhead (and not too much overhead either) and hit the ground 3 miles to the west, so the impact point was 10 miles from the storm cell. It was one of those rare times when I had a beer (while doing some unexpected laundry ) - certainly an un-nerving experience.

The old axiom involved counting off 30 seconds between flash and thunder. The new axiom is to go indoors whenever you hear thunder.
Cheers,
ED

Storm Cooper
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: FATAL - "BOLT FROM THE BLUE" [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #75608 - Fri Jun 22 2007 06:43 PM

Sad but true of the person killed and I can relate to Ed somewhat.... it was once the practice to attack fires started by lightning while the storm and lightning were still present In any event, I found it funny that just yesterday I got a "spotter" update email out of Tallahassee.... here is a part....Ed will like it...

The summer also presents other dangerous weather conditions for our region. Afternoon showers and thunderstorms can develop rapidly with little or no warning. When a thunderstorm develops, seek shelter immediately. Remember and use the 30-30 rule. The 30/30 Rule states that people should seek shelter if the "Flash-To-Bang" delay (length of time in seconds between a lightning flash and its subsequent thunder), is 30 seconds or less, and that they remain under cover until 30 minutes after the final clap of thunder.

A 30 second lead time is necessary prior to a storm's arrival because of the possibility of distant strikes. A 30 minute wait after the last thunder is heard is necessary because the trailing storm clouds still carry a lingering charge. This charge can and does occasionally produce lightning on the back edge of a storm, several minutes after the rain has ended.

Studies have shown most people struck by lightning are struck not at the height of a thunderstorm, but before and after the storm has peaked. This shows many people are unaware of how far lightning can strike from its parent thunderstorm. Do not wait for the rain to start before seeking shelter, and do not leave shelter just because the rain has ended.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: FATAL - "BOLT FROM THE BLUE" [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #75609 - Fri Jun 22 2007 07:53 PM

Many of the Emergency Management homepages in Florida (and elsewhere) still list the 30/30 rule, but a nationwide effort is underway to re-educate the public.

You can read more about it here.

ED

Multi-Decadal Signal
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: BROWARD
Re: FATAL - "BOLT FROM THE BLUE" [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #75764 - Sun Jul 08 2007 06:57 PM

Yet another "bolt from the blue"! Victim's heart was stopped but EMS were able to revive him and he is now critical but stable in hospital.

Miami Lakes in Miami-Dade County was enjoying sunny w/scat. cumulus clouds when without warning, wham!

This was the 2nd outa' the blue strike and 3rd victim hit this season in FL Gold Coast. 2 deaths have been tallied
since May.

All my life I've stood on balconies, catwalks and terraces to enjoy TS's. I may have to rethink this practice. They can bite without warning to say nothing of those strikes less than a second or two away! You know; Flash, 1001, 100& Blam!!!

--------------------
Who you gonna' believe?
Me, or your damn lying eyes?
_Ö_ _ö_

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5463

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center