F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2007 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)
WeatherNLU
Meteorologist

Reged: Sat
Loc: New Orleans, LA
Re: Dean [Re: MikeC]
      #76536 - Thu Aug 16 2007 10:30 AM Attachment (414 downloads)

Quote:

Hmm, there may be a weakness toward the end of the run in the ridge, the latest GFDL model run isn't all that great for those in the Gulf, hopefully that isn't a trend.

It seems the Lesser Antilles may get more storm than they bargained for, however. I'm still thinking intensity is underestimated right now.

Mike, I was just looking at this run of the GFDL. After a few runs it is seeing some kind of weakness in the ridge and it's a terrible situational thought for me here in New Orleans. They have a 160 mph, CAT 5 bomb in a eerily similar position as Katrina and moving in a similar direction.

I would be throwing up if it wasn't so far out and the models weren't flip flopping so badly.

I am attaching a pic for those who want to see.

--------------------
I survived Hurricane Katrina, but nothing I owned did!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: GFDL [Re: NewWatcher]
      #76537 - Thu Aug 16 2007 10:31 AM

It will be interesting to see what the plane finds when it gets to Dean this afternoon. If anything, the apparent eye on the satellite images is actually less than 10 mi. across, since the images don't seem to be fully resolving it (assuming that it is a clear, "pinhole" eye). The CDO convection is somewhat asymmetric and not super intense, so that would suggest it didn't go too crazy overnight.

The major player in the track of Dean still appears to be the upper low that is forecast to traverse the Gulf of Mexico from east to west ahead of Dean. Such things tend to throw a monkey wrench into the track forecasts of tropical systems. The intensity could be affected by the upper low as well, since it could enhancing the outflow of Dean, depending on the eventual orientation of the systems.

I am a little confused by some of the comments re: the GFDL on its latest forecast. It does indeed tug Dean northward into the Gulf of Mexico, but it also depicts a very strong system (cat 4 intensity), not a relatively weak one.

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Loc: Maryland
Re: GFDL [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #76538 - Thu Aug 16 2007 10:51 AM

I think the comments on GFDL is that it doesn't develop dean for the first couple of days, then explodes it. I would tend to think that, given what we have seen the last couple days, Dean will continue to slowly strengthen rather than stagnate for a few days.

nl
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: nsb,fl
Re: GFDL [Re: Random Chaos]
      #76539 - Thu Aug 16 2007 11:03 AM

guys is it me or does the ridge look likes its weakening a lot. there is a big gap now in the ridge now. could this change the track?
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/tatl/loop-wv.html if you click on the mslp box it will show a weaking in the ridge near florida. looks like there is a small something trying to develope in front of dean too.

Edited by nl (Thu Aug 16 2007 11:08 AM)

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Loc: Maryland
Re: GFDL [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #76540 - Thu Aug 16 2007 11:15 AM

NHC 11am discussion mentioned buoy 41010. Seems that's a typo, as that buoy is near Cape Canaveral. Looking at the storm location and the buoys in the area, I think they meant 41040.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41040

nl
Storm Tracker

Loc: nsb,fl
      #76541 - Thu Aug 16 2007 11:20 AM

looks like the ULL is really cutting that ridge open. does anyone have any thoughts im looking at the wv loop on wide atl and its not looking like a ridge anymore.

LisaC
Weather Watcher

Reged: Wed
      #76542 - Thu Aug 16 2007 11:23 AM

Interesting observation with the current warning and watches that are up. Hurricane Warnings are up for St. Lucia and Dominica (both independant islands) however Hurricane watches are up for Martinique and Guadeloupe (french departments). As I recall my caribbean geography counting from south to north on the island chain, its St. Lucia, Martinique, Dominica then Guadelope. Why are the french not issuing warnings?

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Hebert Box [Re: LisaC]
      #76543 - Thu Aug 16 2007 11:31 AM

I guess Dean is going to track through the Hebert box as a major hurricane by tomorrow evening. This, coupled with a weakening ridge, makes me feel that the coast isn't clear for anyone anywhere in the Carribean and SE US and the Gulf Coast.

--------------------
________2024 Forecast: 28/14/8________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

StrmTrckrMiami
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Loc: Manchester, NH
Re: Hebert Box [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #76544 - Thu Aug 16 2007 11:42 AM

From the looks of the chart on the left, Dean is going to be a Cat 4 outside of Cuba in the Carribean, and then make landfall in Mexico and be a Cat 1. I am wondering if it is a possibility that when Dean becomes a Cat 1, when he goes out to the warm waters of the Gulf, could he strenghthen again and make a curve back to Florida? Or is he going to follow the path ridge of the air?

--------------------

Tracking Storms Since 2004
Miami, Cocoa, Fort Myers and Jacksonville
Currently Reside in New England

OUSHAWN
Weather Guru

Loc: Clear Lake,Tx
Re: Hebert Box [Re: StrmTrckrMiami]
      #76545 - Thu Aug 16 2007 11:48 AM

It's really way too early to start thinking about which part of the GOM Dean will go or if it will make a funky turn and go to Florida. I've seen these storms so many times in the past be predicted to become monsters in the Caribbean and end up falling apart because they pretty much outrun themselves. Remember, Dean is traveling at a very speedy clip and if it continues that than there is that chance of this happening. Let's not worry too much right now about exact locations until a few more days pass and we get a better understanding of what Dean will be...if anything.

Shawn

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Re: Hebert Box [Re: StrmTrckrMiami]
      #76546 - Thu Aug 16 2007 12:01 PM

Remember the NHC states in their advisory that the margin of error is 225NM on day 4 & 300NM on day 5 in regards to track. Intensity averages 20kt each day. Based on that don't focus on any track past Saturday really. Personally I go by 24hr tracks...so many things can change.
Recon will give better data to be inputed into the models & specific areas that will be affected in the future can be narrowed down. The main concern is to those in the islands right now.

SeaMule
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: Fairhope, Al...on the coast
"if anything?"""" [Re: OUSHAWN]
      #76547 - Thu Aug 16 2007 12:02 PM

Let's worry a LOT about what this storm might do. It has more of a chance of being a cat 5 than it does of being nothing. It's august, and when the NHC is forecasting a category 3, it's only because they don't understand the forces at play that bring it to a cat 4 or cat 5. it is certainly NOT too early to begin wondering if it will affect the GOM or not. IT WILL....

I have only seen a few hurricanes that headed due west...or wnw...until they hit land. Gilbert was the most notable in my mind. MOST will curve....
never mind that the current models are projecting past 5 days....NO ONE can predict what might happen except this one thing....

we will have a cat 3-4-5 storm in the western Caribbean in August....absolutely NO chance of not amounting to anything....

Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Re: Hebert Box [Re: twizted sizter]
      #76548 - Thu Aug 16 2007 12:11 PM

Herbert's box is not an absolute, almost 90% but not an absolute. Also, Dean has not passed through it yet, it could go slightly under it. It is true that the GDFL is swinging this storm into the central gulf next week, but one run on one model does not make a trend. I notice that the GFS, which if I am not mistaken is in the same ensamble still shows the storm going into the Yukatan.

We need to see what happens after they fly it and input the data.

OUSHAWN
Weather Guru

Loc: Clear Lake,Tx
Re: Hebert Box [Re: Lee-Delray]
      #76550 - Thu Aug 16 2007 12:25 PM

All I know is we are getting slammed here in the Houston/Galveston area right now with some very heavy rain. The local mets are saying 3"/hr. on the rainfall rates and it seems to be training.

Shawn

charlottefl
Weather Hobbyist

Tropical Systems Change Rapidly [Re: OUSHAWN]
      #76552 - Thu Aug 16 2007 12:41 PM

Just to give an example of how fluid the atmosphere is I can go back to 2005. Newly upgraded
hurricane Katrina was approaching Ft. Lauderdale and predicted to move W to WNW across FL.
Then something funny happened. High Pressure nuged south and forced the storm on a WSW heading
into the FL keys. Nothing is 100% certian in tropical systems. Just have to wait and see what Dean
decides to do. Let the wait begin!

scottsvb
Weather Master

Loc: fl
Re: Tropical Systems Change Rapidly [Re: charlottefl]
      #76554 - Thu Aug 16 2007 01:01 PM

it wasnt predicted to go WNW it was expected to go WSW (ala GFDL model) some of the lesser models did show a WNW pattern though.

saluki
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sun
Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Re: Tropical Systems Change Rapidly [Re: charlottefl]
      #76555 - Thu Aug 16 2007 01:05 PM

At the risk of having this post moved elsewhere ... it seems there is some confusion regarding Hebert's box. If a hurricane passes through box No. 1, it does NOT mean that the storm has a 90 percent chance of hitting South Florida (or any other specific location) as a major hurricane. What it DOES mean -- at least the way I'm interpreting it on various Web sites -- is that 90 percent of major hurricanes that have hit Miami-Dade, Broward or Palm Beach since 1900 have passed through the box. Repeat -- it does not mean that 90 percent of all hurricanes that pass through the box hit South Florida as major hurricanes. So yes, South Florida should watch anything that passes through Hebert's box, but I feel that way about anything that heads in our general direction, Hebert's box or not.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Re: Tropical Systems Change Rapidly [Re: saluki]
      #76556 - Thu Aug 16 2007 01:08 PM

that box is soo false anyways. It just matters on conditions in the atmosphere when there is a current system out there. How about you expand Herberts box to say the whole western atlantic...I say most get into it while some curve north before 60W. We can call that... Scotts box. Anyways to me...herberts box is just a joke.

allan
Weather Master

Loc: Palm Coast, Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Erin Forms in Gulf of Mexico [Re: MikeC]
      #76557 - Thu Aug 16 2007 01:22 PM

First and foremost, the models are going everywhere! GFS heads it to Mexico, GFDL heads it to Luisiana (around Lake Charles), NOGAPS heads it towards Texas... All in all, we don't know where Dean will head. Models can't grasp the fact that it is already a strong Hurricane and as it head sin teh Carribean, it can do anything.. like Katrina, it can make it's own projected path because the storm will be soo strong. So lets not put at least the Panhandle of FL out of the scene. It is safe to say though that the East Coast will be spared. Though folks all over the GOM needs to moniter Dean as weird things will happen. Remember Ernesto, It was forecast to track into the GOM, instead it did it's own thing accompanied by an ULL and barely went up the East Coast.. remember hurricanes have minds of there own.

--------------------
Allan Reed - 18,9,5

scottsvb
Weather Master

Re: Tropical Storm Erin Forms in Gulf of Mexico [Re: allan]
      #76558 - Thu Aug 16 2007 01:29 PM

Actually Hurricanes dont have a mind of their own. They are steered by the flow in the atmosphere. A hurricane can have a pressure of 898mb but still be pulled north by a strong trough. They do enhance a ridge by pumping more heat above but they dont crash thru fronts. Im sure you didnt mean that, but just saying hurricanes are controlled by ridges and troughs and strength is affected many other ways... windshear,ssts, etc...

Dean should continue a W-WNW path for 3 days and near the south coast of haiti. By then we will see if the Upper low just NE of the bahamas is moving quick enough into the eastern gulf or models might adjust in time...but this is almost 60-72hrs out. Models adjust from run to run. Anything more then 3 days can change...and even before that.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 54338

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center