F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2007 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Erin makes landfall in Texas, Dean strengthens and nears Lesser Antilles
      #76379 - Wed Aug 15 2007 11:02 AM

6:45AM EDT Update 16-Aug-2007'
Tropical Storm Erin is making landfall in Texas this morning as a weak Tropical Storm south of Corpus Cristi, bringing a iittle rain to the area. Most of the rain is to the north of the center of the system, however. But much of Texas could use anything but rain this summer.

Erin is spawning weak tornadoes in Texas, along with the rain.

Dean is now a Hurricane, the first of 2007. It is still moving westward and hurricane Warnings are up for the Lesser Antilles islands, with an eye that may starting to become visible. Dean could be a category 2, or perhaps 3 by the time it reaches the lesser Antilles, people there need to be prepared now.

The forecast track is taking it westward, the most likely scenario takes it into the Yucatan Peninsula, and eventually then into the southern Gulf. Extrapolating takes it into Mexico, but that still is quite long range, the entire Gulf still needs to watch it. Although models have been remarkably consistent on taking it west, with no apparent weakness sin the ridge ahead of it. However, the latest GFDL is trending it into the Gulf. So it'll be important to watch if it's just a fluke or others follow. Long range models are still a dartboard.

This is because normally the long range forecasts are problematic, but so far, they appear to be behaving. The trough in the Bahamas, actually more of a developing mid to upper level cutoff low, is not expected to be strong enough to alter Dean's forecast path. The circulation around the cutoff low could actually help to maintain the southern portion of the western extention of the mid Atlantic ridge over Florida - and keep Dean on his west northwest track.

Tonight aircraft recon will get a first attempt at approaching Dean, along with the Gulfstream jet to measure upper air patterns ahead of the storm,which means Tomorrow models will have that data to help along with the future track, which should improve models for later in the run.

Judging by appearance, Dean may be stronger than it's currently estimated to be, so an accurate measurement by the aircraft recon will be welcome.

The other areas discussed haven't had much go on with them, and the system off Africa did not stay together all that well, so near term development there is not expected -- but we may have to watch it later.

6PM EDT Update 15-Aug-2007'
Interestingly, despite a late morning blowup from Erin to become a tropical storm it has not formed the stacking structure necessary for further strengthening, so it will likely make landfall as a low to mid strength Tropical Storm.

Dean continues to look more impressive, nearing hurricane strength, with pressure dropping. Those in the Eastern Caribbean/lesser Antilles need to prepare now for the storm, which may be a fairly strong hurricane by the time it reaches the islands.

Beyond that, the official forecast keeps it moving westward, just south of Jamaica and into the Northwestern Caribbean.

Beyond that it is still too early to say, please look at the cone, especially at the long range (I still don't trust the long range models), rather than the exact track, folks in the Caribbean need to prepare, those in the Gulf and Florida need to be aware of Dean as well, it is currently forecast to become a Category 3/4 storm when it enters the Caribbean.

Outside of that, the wave that came off Africa recently doesn't seem to be holding together, but some are strong enough we may need to watch later, and an interesting disturbance in the eastern Gulf (east of Erin) is starting to become interesting as well. Welcome to mid August.

11:30AM EDT Update 15-Aug-2007
TD#5 was held as a 30MPH depression at 11am, but a recon flight found Tropical Storm force winds at flight level shortly thereafter, causing the system to be upgraded to Tropical Storm Erin. Strengthening to moderate tropical storm strength is expected before landfall sometime tomorrow.

Dean is up to 60MPH and may become a hurricane tonight or by tomorrow. Those in the Eastern Caribbean should be prepared and the rest of the basin, Gulf and East coast should remain prudent watching it. The forecast track seems fairly good 3-4 days out.

More to come later.

8:35 AM EDT Aug 2007 Update
Tropical Depression #5 is looking much better organized this morning, recon flights are scheduled to go out and take readings on this system. Those in Texas will want to watch this system.

StormCarib Reports from the Caribbean Islands

Caribbean Weather Observations

Barbados Brohav Weather Fax

Full Caribbean Radar Composite

Caribbean Broadcast Corporation (TV/Radio from Antilles)

San Juan, PR NWS Page

Various Caribbean Radio Stations

DR1 Dominican Republic Hurricanes

Tropical Storm Dean (Far Eastern Atlantic) Event Related Links

float4latest.gif stormplotthumb_4.gif

SFWMD Model Plot (Animated Model Plot) SFWMD Hurricane Page

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2007&storm=4 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of Dean
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of Dean

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of Dean (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of Dean (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of Dean

Other Model Charts from Clark

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for Dean
More model runs on from RAL/Jonathan Vigh's page
NRL Info on Dean -- RAMMB Info
COD Atlantic Satellite View

Tropical Storm Erin Event Related Links

float5latest.gif stormplotthumb_5.gif

SFWMD Model Plot (Animated Model Plot) SFWMD Hurricane Page

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2007&storm=5 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of Erin
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of Erin

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of Erin (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of Erin (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of Erin

Other Model Charts from Clark

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for Erin
More model runs on from RAL/Jonathan Vigh's page
NRL Info on Erin -- RAMMB Info
COD Atlantic Satellite View

Brownsville, TX Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)
Corpus Cristi, TX Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)
Houston, TX Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)

Edited by Clark (Thu Aug 16 2007 04:04 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tumbleman
Unregistered

Re: Dean And TD#5 [Re: MikeC]
      #76381 - Wed Aug 15 2007 11:22 AM

Could someone please explain how the existence of TD5, and its future remnants, might pump or deflate the adjoining ridge...? I'm curious as to how the models are handling the affect of the gulf storm on the future track of Dean.

Thanks...

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sat
Loc: Maryland
      #76383 - Wed Aug 15 2007 11:25 AM

it is now Tropical Storm Erin! Recon found TS strength winds.

OUSHAWN
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Loc: Clear Lake,Tx
      #76384 - Wed Aug 15 2007 11:28 AM

Looks like TD#5 is refiring convection again over the center after going through a little lull. Still thinking this could get to be a 60mph storm before landfall...if it can establish ONE center.

Shawn

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Re: Dean And TD#5 [Re: OUSHAWN]
      #76386 - Wed Aug 15 2007 11:50 AM

Galveston has a cumulative 6% chance of having minimal tropical storm force winds. This is from the NHC wind speed probabilities table: http://twister.sbs.ohio-state.edu/text/tropical/atlantic/FONT15.KNHC

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

#76387 - Wed Aug 15 2007 11:57 AM

Corpus Christi weather service bulletin:

http://twister.sbs.ohio-state.edu/text/tropical/atlantic/statements/08151551.KCRP

Quick Summary:
3-6 inches rain with localized up to 8 inches.
1-2 foot storm surge

OUSHAWN
Weather Guru

Loc: Clear Lake,Tx
Re: Dean And TD#5 [Re: Random Chaos]
      #76388 - Wed Aug 15 2007 12:07 PM

Actually, I would rather see the wind than the rain here. We don't need anymore rain in this area.

Shawn

pensacolatracker
Unregistered

#76389 - Wed Aug 15 2007 12:10 PM

It appears that Tropical Storm Dean has had a track further west than originally expected. Why do some of the forecasts show a northward turn eventually? And if the storm passes through the Herbert Box, does this indicate a higher risk for the Florida coast?

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: fl
Re: Dean And TD#5 [Re: Unregistered User]
      #76390 - Wed Aug 15 2007 12:20 PM

Erin is a rainmaker for the TX coast. Winds will gust near 50mph on the coast near the center but overland expect winds around 20-30mph and heavy rain. Isolated tornados can be expected also. This isnt a wind storm unless you live on the coast or on a big lake.

Dean... should be come a hurricane. Most models now take this to Central America or the Yucitan by early next week. Florida chances are droping especially if it doesnt go north of Hispaniola cause there Wont be no cold front to swing this NW or NNW. A general W or WNW path is expected until at least 80W or past Jamiaca thru the weekend as a trough lifts out over the bahamas and is replaced by a expanding ridge.

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Re: Dean And TD#5 [Re: scottsvb]
      #76391 - Wed Aug 15 2007 12:28 PM

Historical tracks near what Dean is taking:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200704_climo.html#a_topad

Of these, Allen and the 1903 systems are the only two that kept the westward motion that the models are indicating Dean will take. Additionally, Allen has shown up as near the same track for two days now, meaning Dean and Allen have taken very similar paths so far. Not trying to panic anyone, but historical information is something to keep in mind when looking at hurricane tracks.

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

#76392 - Wed Aug 15 2007 12:32 PM

Vortex recon in for Erin.

http://twister.sbs.ohio-state.edu/text/tropical/atlantic/URNT12.KNHC

1005mb poorly defined core.
35kt winds.

---

URNT12 KNHC 151518
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 15/1444Z
B. 25 DEG 37 MIN N
93 DEG 24 MIN W
C. NA
D. 35 KT
E. 045 DEG 35 NM
F. 119 DEG 44 KT
G. 047 DEG 36 NM
H. EXTRAP 1005 MB
I. 25 C/483 M
J. 27 C/483 M
K. 24 C/29 C
L. POORLY DEFINED
M. NA
N. 13/1
O. 1/1 NM
P. NOAA2 0205A CYCLONE OB 12
MAX FL WIND 44 KT NE QUAD 1433Z
SLP EXTRAPOLATED FROM 1500 FEET

Edited by Random Chaos (Wed Aug 15 2007 12:34 PM)

hurricaneguy
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Fri
Loc: Greeneville, TN
      #76393 - Wed Aug 15 2007 12:35 PM

I know it may be a little premature but does it look like the mainland U.S. will be spared now? It sure looks like Dean is on a collision course with Mexico.

--------------------

StrmTrckrMiami
Weather Guru

Loc: Manchester, NH
Re: Dean And TD#5 [Re: Unregistered User]
      #76394 - Wed Aug 15 2007 12:39 PM

Well is seems as though TD#5 has been upgraded to Tropical Storm Erin. This means that we now have two storms that have formed. Tropical Storm Erin is morer than likely going to strenghten in the Gulf Coast, as these waters are very warm in August, and it seems as though maybe Erin and Dean are doing the same thing. Both are slowing down, but at the same time gaining strength in both the Carribean Waters and the Gulf Coast. Miami local news station CBS 4 predicts that Erin will ne a threat to Texas. It also seems as though Texas is already taking precautions. Galveston, South of the Border, Houston and the Coast of Freeport are all under a tropical storm warning. For more info on Tropical Storm Erin, see this website: http://cbs4.com/topstories/topstories_story_226232256.html

Now as for Dean, at 11:00am EST, Tropical Storm Dean has winds that have sustained 60 MPH, Dean has a pressure of 997 Mb, it is at 12.4 N and 45.0 W, latitude and logdidtude, it is moving west at 20 mph, and it is 1045 miles east of the lesser antilles. The national hurricaine center has stated that Dean is strenghthening over the Central Atlantic Ocean, and they are predicting that this storm will continue to strengthen as it moves into the west because of the warmer water and the lessening of the wind shear. The high pressure twords the north is what has been steering the storm the last several days on its track. By Friday at 8:00am, they are anticipating a category one for Dean. As the storm moves twords the carribean waters, the storm is predicted to be a Category 2 for Saturday and Sunday and then a Category 3 on Monday. At this point is looks as though the speed will be 16, winds sustained of 120mph, and moving at a WNW pattern.

Flossie has issued a national state of emergency for Hawaii. They do not think Flossie will touch Hawaii, but brisk it. The waves are increaing for her however, and in turn Hawaii's coasts are taking a huge impact from this.

Is it a possibility for Dean to take a turn and head for the US? Or is Dean going to follow the track of Erin and possibly meet up with her and strenghten. All is unknown right now, and the Coast of Florida is urged to start preparing because as this storm increases, it may take a hit at Miami and Florida's coast.

These are some updates

--------------------

Tracking Storms Since 2004
Miami, Cocoa, Fort Myers and Jacksonville
Currently Reside in New England

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Re: Dean And TD#5 [Re: StrmTrckrMiami]
      #76395 - Wed Aug 15 2007 12:46 PM

How on earth could Dean possibly catch up with Erin & strengthen? You are right..still plenty of unknowns..but that statement isn't one of them. Dean is at least a week away from where Erin is & she will be long gone by then.

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

#76396 - Wed Aug 15 2007 12:46 PM

Latest satellite shows dean making a northward jog. We need to wait and see if this is a course change or just a jog.

--RC

StrmTrckrMiami
Weather Guru

Re: Dean And TD#5 [Re: twizted sizter]
      #76397 - Wed Aug 15 2007 12:49 PM

Quote:

How on earth could Dean possibly catch up with Erin & strengthen? You are right..still plenty of unknowns..but that statement isn't one of them. Dean is at least a week away from where Erin is & she will be long gone by then.

It was just a thought that had popped into my head. There really is no need to get an attitude with me. Even though Dean is a week away from Erin, they could eventually get close enough to each other that they interfere with the storm systym causing it to get alot worst than predicted. Like I said, there are still alot of unknowns at this point.

--------------------

orlando fl
Unregistered

#76398 - Wed Aug 15 2007 12:50 PM

hello everyone!! Erin is a cooldown and a rainmaker for texas....Dean well really its still up in there air anything can happen it could turn north or keep going into the yucatan it depends if the high will be near florida... living here after Charley I hope so..and one more interesting tid bit if you look on the central atlantic visible ... there another low spining behind dean about 400 miles or so ... is that an upper low or is it at the surface???

StrmTrckrMiami
Weather Guru

#76400 - Wed Aug 15 2007 12:50 PM

Quote:

Latest satellite shows dean making a northward jog. We need to wait and see if this is a course change or just a jog.

--RC

Could you get me the link to this satalite image please?

--------------------

StrmTrckrMiami
Weather Guru

Re: Dean And TD#5 [Re: syfr]
      #76401 - Wed Aug 15 2007 12:52 PM

Quote:

>Is it a possibility for Dean to take a turn and head for the US? Or is Dean going to follow the track of Erin and possibly >meet up with her and strenghten. All is unknown right now, and the Coast of Florida is urged to start preparing >because as this storm increases, it may take a hit at Miami and Florida's coast.
>These are some updates

With all due respect, they seem more like wild guesses than updates.

Not wild guesses at all. Here in Miami, I have followed the news reports closely and if you want the links to some of the video webcasts I will surely post them. I am just restating things that reporters have stated here in Miami. Maybe they are wild guesses because at this point, no one really knows what to expect from Dean, but I was just restating these facts from the news.

--------------------

Edited by StrmTrckrMiami (Wed Aug 15 2007 12:53 PM)

scottsvb
Weather Master

Loc: fl
Re: Dean And TD#5 [Re: StrmTrckrMiami]
      #76402 - Wed Aug 15 2007 12:59 PM

People in florida dont need to prepare for Dean no more then they would stock up for a June 1st hurricane season. People should just watch these systems and get the updates every 6 hrs.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 54339

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center