F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Other Storm Basins

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
vpbob21
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Ohio
Super Typhoon Sepat churns toward Taiwan
      #76520 - Thu Aug 16 2007 12:55 AM

Plenty of activity in our hemisphere but thought it was worth mentioning Super Typhon Sepat, about 460 mi. SE of the southern tip of Taiwan, packing 140 kt. winds and (according to the NRL site) an estimated pressure of 918 mb. Some very impressive satellite pics on the NRL site. Sepat is moving NW at 9 mph and figures to cross southern Taiwan in about 36-48 hrs. Official forecast calls for ever-so-slight weakening before landfall, but it still figures to be a very destructive storm.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
drpanda
Unregistered

Re: Super Typhoon Sepat churns toward Taiwan [Re: vpbob21]
      #76636 - Fri Aug 17 2007 07:41 AM

I am sitting here in Changle in Fujian Province in China and currently the winds are gusting to 80 kt and heavy rain blowing sideways. Sepat has not arrived yet but the local Governments are scared and people are moving to high ground here. When Sepat arrives it will be amazing to see the force of nature with this one. The only bad problem here is that so many villagers along the coast are afraid to leave their only belongings so there may be a high death toll this time.

avi
Unregistered

Re: Super Typhoon Sepat churns toward Taiwan [Re: drpanda]
      #76707 - Fri Aug 17 2007 03:19 PM

taichung taiwan here.
3:18 AM...nothing.
Overcast and humid...perhaps calm before...but so far, color me disappointed.

Pokey12
Unregistered

Re: Super Typhoon Sepat churns toward Taiwan [Re: avi]
      #76761 - Fri Aug 17 2007 08:07 PM

I'm here in Taichung, Taiwan as well. 8:05 am: Cloudy skies, clear air, and large gusts of wind. No rain.

thetaomega
Unregistered

Re: Super Typhoon Sepat churns toward Taiwan [Re: Pokey12]
      #76773 - Fri Aug 17 2007 08:57 PM

Posting from the US, but most of my relatives are in Taiwan (Taichung and Fengyuan).

This is the radar from the Central Weather Bureau for Taiwan. Too bad they don't archive their radar pictures (at least not in the English version of the website, as posted above), but the 6-hour animated loop (at the time of this posting) does show an impressive eye and banding structures (lots of red) making landfall at the central-east coast of Taiwan, with the eye structure collapsing and filling in as it crosses the central mountain range and into the western lowlands.

-thetaomega

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6763

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center