F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

Weather Bloggers >> Resident Meteorologist Discussions

Pages: 1
Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Questions with Dean: Gulf of Mexico track?
      #76726 - Fri Aug 17 2007 08:20 PM

An hour to go until the 5p advisory, though all of the particulars are probably getting announced to the various NWS offices on the standard conference call as I speak. Here's what I see as the main question: the forward speed of both Dean and the upper low near Florida. The GFDL has been showing the fastest forward speed of all of the models plus the slowest retrogression of the upper low. This isn't counterintuitive, as they are being steered by two different ridge centers right now. The other models are a tad slower with Dean and a tad faster with moving the upper low out of the picture, resulting in a more westward track. Which is going to win out, or as is the case with so many things in the tropics, does the true answer lie somewhere in between?

Right now, the consensus models as well as most of the globals are clustered fairly tightly over the northeastern portion of the Yucatan peninsula. The GFDL, some of its variations, and many of the GFS ensemble members are the ones that are significantly further north of that area. Regarding the ensembles, one has to ask the question of if the perturbation method used to create the ensemble initial conditions is leading to a scenario where the storm interacts with a slower-moving or more intense upper level feature in the Gulf? Comparing the 12Z early guidance to the 12Z ensembles, there's not a ton of speed difference between either cluster of models, making me think that the other scenario of more upper level interaction is more likely than anything related to how they represent the storm.

It's unnerving to be 3 or so days away and not have a better idea of what is going to happen, but I think we'll know by tomorrow morning whether the GFDL solution is out to lunch or if it is a very viable possibility. How this upper low and storm start to evolve today is going to be key, I think, moreso than any potential land interaction that Dean could have until it nears the Yucatan. I hope the comments above highlight this possibility and the thinking that goes into the track forecast making process when it comes to evaluating model guidance as a whole.

For now, however, the consensus track is the 'option of least consternation' -- and the track that both I and the NHC are going with right now -- but that could change as we get into tomorrow morning.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5094

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center