F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Allison
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Loc: Laredo, Texas
Dean and the ULL
      #76765 - Fri Aug 17 2007 08:11 PM

My question relates to the potential interaction between Dean and the upper level low over the Bahamas.

Just about everything I know about hurricanes, I've learned from this board , and I've read the posts on this issue, including Clark's blog entry earlier today.

Here's where I'm still confused:

Ridges push storms west; lows/troughs pull storms north -- I got that much, at least. So if the ULL moves into the GOM ahead of Dean, why does the forecast pull Dean only moderately to the right and into TX/LA. In other words, why doesn't the low recurve Dean into Florida or the eastern GOM?

I suspect it has something to do with the intensity of the low v. the intensity of Dean, but if anyone can explain this in more detail, I'd appreciate it.

Second question -- if the ULL ends up having little or no affect on Dean, what will then be the primary steering mechanism?

Thanks!

--------------------
Allison

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Myles
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: SW FL
Re: Dean and the ULL [Re: Allison]
      #76770 - Fri Aug 17 2007 08:47 PM

The reason the ULL is forecast to have less of an effect is because it is cutoff from the jet stream and lacks any real extending fronts/trofs. Because of that the ULL isn't creating a path to the westerlies that the hurricane can follow. So instead of recurving it, it will only nudge it north. Also, because most of the energy is in the upper levels, the ULL can cause shear since the upper level winds are strong cyclonically, but the surface winds are mostly easterly. And the intensity of the low is also important. A weak ULL is less likely to have a surface/mid-level reflection(low pressure at the surface/mid-layer as well as the upper levels) and less of an impact on storm motion.

However, an important factor is that ULL's don't really recurve storms. Storms recurve due to fronts/troughs associated with extra-tropical storms. The main difference is that extra-tropical storms usually have low pressure centers from the upper levels to the surface and are embedded in the jet stream. Cutoff lows like the one in the Bahamas don't influence tracks as much as they can create shear.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4100

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center