F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2007 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Dean [Re: Random Chaos]
      #76837 - Sat Aug 18 2007 05:24 AM

there flying through from SW to the NE... no doubt there is stronger winds coming... kinda weird... that in a 1min in 30sec... flt. levl winds went from 130mph... to 30 mph.. ... there out of the NE part of the eye and climbing... vortex coming soon! I think i saw a 929mb reading... will see?

**opps missed it by a mb

URNT12 KNHC 180522
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE AL042007
A. 18/05:00:30Z
B. 14 deg 55 min N
066 deg 26 min W
C. 700 mb 2498 m
D. 105 kt
E. 193 deg 004 nm
F. 291 deg 117 kt
G. 197 deg 005 nm
H. 930 mb
I. 12 C/ 3044 m
J. 20 C/ 3055 m
K. 9 C/ NA
L. CLOSED
M. C13
N. 12345/ 7
O. 0.03 / 2 nm
P. AF302 0504A DEAN OB 24
MAX FL WIND 138 KT NE QUAD 01:12:20 Z
MAX FL WIND OUTBOUND 154KT AT 05:04:00 Z

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Edited by Storm Hunter (Sat Aug 18 2007 05:31 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Dean [Re: Random Chaos]
      #76838 - Sat Aug 18 2007 05:26 AM

[delete - storm hunter beat me to the Recon data]

Edited by Random Chaos (Sat Aug 18 2007 05:27 AM)

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
HDOBs and Vortex Messages [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #76839 - Sat Aug 18 2007 05:28 AM

For those using the HDOBs to track Recon.

The last message was sent just prior to the SW Eyewall penetration. Hence, the weaker windspeeds.

The next message should be more indicative of the current NE Quadrant strength.

Check the lat/ longs.. They are going North and East.
Flying from the SW Quadrant TO the NE Quadrant.

THe NE Quadrant is normally where the highest wind speeds will be found.

Also new to 2007. The Max Flight Level WInd Speed on the inbound leg- into the EYE.
Is amended as necessary on line "P". IF the outbound Max Flight Level Wind Speeds are higher than they were when the vortex message was transmitted.

This can be done using a "Corrected " Vortex Data Message.

www.ofcm.gov/nhop/07/nhop07.htm

PA101

Reged:
GFDL [Re: danielw]
      #76842 - Sat Aug 18 2007 06:37 AM

Long time lurker (at least three years) and finally have something to add to the discussion.

Those of us wondering if the GFDL is out to lunch this week may not have long to wait. Until now the GFDL has been an outlier beginning at 48-72 hours but has been within the model consensus during at least the first 24-36 hours of each run.

As of the 00Z run the GFDL is predicting significant northward movement Real Soon Now and forecasts the COC will pass over extreme southwestern Hispanola early Sunday morning. If it sees something (maybe up around 300mb given the power of the storm) that all the other models are missing it should start to verify during the day Saturday.

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Re: HDOBs and Vortex Messages [Re: danielw]
      #76843 - Sat Aug 18 2007 07:04 AM

i just noticed that NHC is actually FORECASTING Dean to hit Cat V intensity--they dont do this very often

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
00Z Models [Re: MikeC]
      #76844 - Sat Aug 18 2007 07:26 AM

I know Dean is the most immediate threat, but looks like all the models are showing something developing in the next few days that may effect Florida.

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Edited by Lake Toho - Kissimmee (Sat Aug 18 2007 07:27 AM)

Doombot!
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, Fl.
Re: 00Z Models [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #76845 - Sat Aug 18 2007 07:38 AM

Quote:

I know Dean is the most immediate threat, but looks like all the models are showing something developing in the next few days that may effect Florida.

Can you aim me to where you're looking? According to http://moe.met.fsu.edu/tcgengifs/ the CMC is the only 00Z run (of 6) that spins anything up.

cieldumort

Reged:
Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: 00Z Models [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #76846 - Sat Aug 18 2007 07:53 AM

Re: other systems

There is an abundance of tropical cyclogenesis potential in the Atlantic, and a few model runs want to spin one or more of the most conducive areas up. Currently, the entire stretch from just east of Dean all the way back to the Cape Verde islands is a veritable breeding ground.

Getting back to Dean,

Dean has been flirting with a pinhole eye all evening/night. No signs of an ERC, as some have suggested. The appearance of one is merely the eye tightening up a bit.. normal fluctuations. However, given the occasional foray into a pinhole eye-like scene, it is worth nothing that the TCHP in the western Caribbean is running potentially even higher now than around this time in 2005. Dean may be able to pull off an all-out Wilma while in the western Caribbean. The current forecast out of NHC for a Cat 5 before crossing over the Yucatan, while not a certainty, more than likely did not cost them one single bead of worry sweat that they were stretching a bit. Six more mph and Dean's there.

With respect to the models which have consistently forced Dean's future track to the southernmost ends of the guidance envelope, all of these have initialized him poorly. While one doesn't want to completely throw them out, you just about can, again, because they are not tracking Dean. They have been tracking and creating forecasts based on a weak Cat 1 or Tropical Storm.. and some have even initialized Dean as a neutral core. Nuts. This is garbage in - garbage out forecasting. Stick with the GFDL , HWRF, and certainly NHC, for now.

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: 00Z Models [Re: cieldumort]
      #76848 - Sat Aug 18 2007 09:19 AM

Looks like Dean could make it to Cat 5 at anytime. The 154kt flight level wind measured by RECON earlier would support it, but evidently these winds havent made it to the surfasce enough to warrant the upgrade. Looking at the latest IR imagery, there are no current indications of an ERC, but these are likely as Dean strengthens further. With the high heat content, the low shear, and the track far enough to the south of Hispaniola, he has little to hinder him. Jamaica looks set to get a pounding, as do the low-lying Caymans. Could be pretty catastrophic for these islands. Interesting how models continue to diverge on where Dean will go once past the Caymans, and just goes to show how predictable these things are, and how much everyonhe around the Gulf, Yucatan, and Cuba really need to watch closely, and prepare just in case.

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: 00Z Models [Re: Rich B]
      #76849 - Sat Aug 18 2007 09:30 AM

I am generally not a model watcher because of cynicism towards technology being a person designed entity and therefore intrinsically flawed. But, I have been running water vapor loops in the last two hours showing the past 12 or more hours of hurricane and atmospheric changes. To summarize, all the key elements for steering are changing rapidly. I have noticed a big high pressure coming down from the northwest which seems to be moving slightly faster to the east than any of the ULLs are moving to the west. I will make a small prediction that this pressure system will change everything 180 degrees in the next 12 hours or so. I am not sure whether that will take Texas and points west totally out of the loop or not, but the hurricane's rapid progress forward has already dropped by 7 mph reported . I am watching closely due to a sick family member in the Panhandle. I will have to know when to leave Central Florida if the 180 turn should occur so that I can avoid the evacuation traffic from Key West. I am watching closely and intelligently. I would recommend others do the same. I believe the time for model watching has come to an end and we should be preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

WeatherNLU
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: New Orleans, LA
Re: 00Z Models [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #76850 - Sat Aug 18 2007 10:03 AM

Just getting home from work and looking at everything. As some mentioned, it's getting close to showdown time with the models re: a more northward movement or the continued westward track. I think it's still up in the air, but I have noticed since I got home and threw up a sat loop that Dean finally got off of ROUTE 15 and decided to take a jump poleward. The 6Z models take Dean to near 70W at 16N and the GFDL takes it to 70W at 17N. We shall see.

--------------------
I survived Hurricane Katrina, but nothing I owned did!

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: 00Z Models [Re: WeatherNLU]
      #76851 - Sat Aug 18 2007 10:11 AM

Definitely has the north component in the track this am... its running just a tad north of the projected forecast track but not by any thing significant (a few miles at best)... certainly got that stair step effect in motion... lord I would NOT want this monster approaching or anywhere near me...

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/pr/loop-ir2.html

WeatherNLU
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: 00Z Models [Re: Frank P]
      #76852 - Sat Aug 18 2007 10:21 AM

I hear ya Frank. Not that I didn't know before, but August 29, 2005 gave me a whole different outlook on things. I wish it could be where no one was going to have to deal with Dean, but someone has to. If that someone is New Orleans, this city is done. I can only hope and pray that it's not us again and that whoever does have to deal with this will get more help than we did. That's all I can do now.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #76853 - Sat Aug 18 2007 10:29 AM

I feel your pain NLU.... we've done better over here in Biloxi but it has been oh so slow... what gets me is I've tracked storms for many years but I can't ever recall so many monster storms that have developed since 2004... now we have another super storm, and its our first hurricane of the year.. If this storm were to come anywhere near the SE LA or MS coast you could practically write off these areas for decades.. when you get hit by a super storm it changes your way of life for years... Dean is going to do just that to whomever it hits... it just CAN'T be us... not for a long time

Edited by Frank P (Sat Aug 18 2007 10:37 AM)

WeatherNLU
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: 00Z Models [Re: Frank P]
      #76854 - Sat Aug 18 2007 10:36 AM

Amen Frank! Hey, are my eyes getting tired or is Dean really taking a jump more north than I even realized at first. I just stopped the loop at 15.0 and 66.8 and that was at 0715. The last frame at 0945 looks like 15.3 and 67.4. Defintely more WNW in the last three hours or so. Trend??????

I am going to get some zzzzz's just incase it's my eyeballs.

--------------------
I survived Hurricane Katrina, but nothing I owned did!

charlottefl
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
      #76855 - Sat Aug 18 2007 10:44 AM

Dean has been at 15.0 all night and yes it did move more nw erly in the last few frames. The question is
trend or wobble. Only time will tell.

Hurric
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Port St. Lucie, Fl
Re: 00Z Models [Re: charlottefl]
      #76856 - Sat Aug 18 2007 11:48 AM

Dean does appear to be continuing a more wnw track for last four hours. Maybe the ULL is beginning to exert an influence, or could be just a big wobble.
Look at this Link:
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t1/loop-rgb.html

VolusiaMike
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
Re: 00Z Models [Re: Hurric]
      #76857 - Sat Aug 18 2007 12:14 PM

Based on the 08:00 position compared to the 5:00 am forecast track, it is only about 12 - 13 north of anticipated location.

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: 00Z Models [Re: VolusiaMike]
      #76858 - Sat Aug 18 2007 12:21 PM

New recon.

URNT12 KNHC 181212
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE AL042007
A. 18/11:51:20Z
B. 15 deg 23 min N
067 deg 52 min W
C. 700 mb 2437 m
D. 121 kt
E. 5 deg 008 nm
F. 137 deg 145 kt
G. 050 deg 008 nm
H. 926 mb
I. 11 C/ 3049 m
J. 23 C/ 3041 m
K. 11 C/ NA
L. CLOSED
M. C12
N. 12345/ 7
O. 0.02 / 2 nm
P. AF304 0604A DEAN OB 03
MAX FL WIND 145 KT NE QUAD 11:48:40 Z
SMALL HAIL INBOUND NE QUAD
RADAR PRESENTATION EXCELLENT

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Israel
Re: 00Z Models [Re: Hurric]
      #76859 - Sat Aug 18 2007 12:22 PM

That does not look like a wobble at all. That's a definitely poleward movement as you can see on the visible imagery.

(Time Sensitive) http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t1/loop-vis.html

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 35654

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center